Are There Any Methods for Reducing Spleen Size?

• 24 Replies

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Are There Any Methods for Reducing Spleen Size?
« on: October 06, 2010, 01:02:00 AM »
This is a fairly urgent matter, so please reply if you have any ideas. Are there any methods for reducing spleen size and/or bringing the spleen back to normal function? Herbal remedies? Nigella? Any known medicines?

Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Re: Are There Any Methods for Reducing Spleen Size?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 02:08:16 AM »
Andy,

As far as I know the only way to reduce spleen size is hypertransfusion - keeping the hemoglobin very high for a long period of time.  I don't know of any other way.

Perhaps someone else has information,

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Syaida Lee

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 03:23:17 AM »
I have been told that it is uncommon for Thal Major to have hypersplenicism at 2 years old. We were so desperate at that time, to keep his spleen at all costs. There is no medicine, except surgical. We went from one hospital to another even prepared to airlift him to Australia. After brain storming with the drs we took on embolisation, which is the least invasive method of reducing the size of the spleen. It worked, I don't know if anyone tried that. During the time of the spleen shrinking, proper pain management is required, it's quite traumatic.

Offline maha

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 01:11:49 PM »
The herb ceanothus americanus is widely used for the treatment of enlarged spleen. I don't know how effective it would be on a really enlarged spleen but it does help to reduce the size of a palpable spleen.Hassan was using the homeo form before he was put on a hyper transfusion regimen. There is a lot of matter available on the web regarding the use of this herb on an enlarged and inflamed spleen

happy googling
maha

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 01:26:18 AM »
Maha,

I searched for the name and found that the common name is red root or new jersey tea, but actually i don't kow it. I found the following about it, but do you know how it is taken, do we boil the roots for example??

http://www.redrootmountain.com/red-root-balance-the-body-by-way-of-the-spleen/66

Modern Day Uses of Red Root

Today, we look at how red root functions in the body. Red root stimulates lymph and interstitial fluid circulation. It acts as an anti-inflammatory to the spleen and lymph nodes, prevents blood that is high in fat from clumping, and smoothes stomach and intestinal function. The blood transports better, because inflammation across the surface of the lymph nodes is decreased, and bioavailability of nutrients to the cells is increased. We see cases of malabsorption improve dramatically with the introduction of red root. It is a plant that clears excess secretion, and tightens tissue, influencing function to improve. When this occurs, blood is built, improving anemic conditions, cells and muscles receive their proper nutrients, and appetite and immunity improve.

There are many ways to apply red root to dysfunction in the body. In my practice, I recognize that the spleen plays a major role in digestive function, and when digestive disorders are present on a disease or syndrome level, deficiency of the spleen is a contributing factor. Spleen deficiency appears in Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Irritable Bowel Disease (Chron’s and Colitis), where there is impaired uptake of nutrients and an imbalance between wet and dry in the gut, and they respond very well to red root as a long-term tonic at moderately low doses.

The astringent qualities that dry up damp conditions aid conditions where lymphatic congestion is a problem. Mastitis, mononucleosis, tonsillitis and strep infections all find relief from red root. It reduces lymphatic swelling, and sooths sore throats. I often combine red root with other lymphatics, as well as herbs specific to the illness.

Chronic conditions that affect lymphatic function respond well to red root. They are leukemia, Hodgkin’s disease, rheumatism, AIDS and various types of anemias. Please consult someone clinically trained in herbal medicine and experienced in working with these conditions before embarking on your herb journey if you have a positive diagnosis for these diseases.

Because red root has a grand effect on overactive mucosa, it is an excellent expectorant. This is one area where the leaves are a successful treatment. I have found use for them in respiratory illnesses, such as bronchitis, both acute and chronic, and sore throats. I don’t employ the leaves alone, but often combine them with the root of the plant.

Herbs that support lymphatic function do so in many different ways. While I hear many speak of lymphatic herbs as being blood cleansers, we must remember that organs – not plants – clean blood. Plants stimulate and support the process, retraining the body in a function that was forgotten. In the case of disease, where blood is weak, herbs support recuperative function, and when the spleen and lymphatic system have been disabled, it is important to support those functions to increase healing potential.

Where wild fire once burned, red root thrives. It sprouts from rootstock after the tops are burned, and is usually the first to reappear after the fire. Ironically, the Native Americans used the root as firewood when timber was scarce. We see in the body that red root balances wet with dry. It clears the channels of dampness, and decreases inflammation, and increases function, allowing the body to transform food into energy and build blood. It becomes our body’s walking stick, helping it to move again and grow strong once more. From here, we can truly begin to heal.

Andy
According the the above paragraph in ''bold'', does this mean it is safe that my son tries this red root ---provided that i find  it--?????????????

Thank you so much
manal
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 01:32:38 AM by Manal »

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 01:34:09 AM »
Well, I was actually just writing a post recommending you try this for your son. It should be available through mail order companies if you can't find it at home. It is a common herb in the US. Ceanothus americanus has a long history of use for the spleen and is an old American Indian remedy. I definitely think it's worth trying.
Andy

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 01:40:17 AM »
If you can find the root itself:

Dosage:

Infusion- Steep 1 tsp. root-bark in 1 cup water. Take 1 to 2 cups a day.

Tincture: Take 10 to 20 drops in water, three or four times a day.

An example of what you will find through mail order companies can be seen at http://www.herbalremedies.com/redroot1.html
I know nothing about this particular company and am using them just to illustrate.
Andy

Offline Manal

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 01:53:51 AM »
Thank you Andy so much i will start searching right now

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 01:55:18 AM »
And thank you Maha, for this information.
Andy

Offline Manal

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 01:59:46 AM »
Yesssssss, thanks dear Maha :hugfriend

Offline maha

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 07:10:29 AM »
most welcome. I wasn't at home yesterday so couldn't reply. Manal the homeo form is very easy to use. When Hassan was using it he was just 18 months old. The doc had asked me to mix 4 drops in half cup of water.I suppose with age the dosage also would increase. At that time I had read an article on the web about a man who walked into the docs clinic with an abnormally huge spleen and how this doc treated him with ceanothus amer. Very nice story- fiction or real hard to tell. Actually I was searching for that article and was frustrated I couldn't find it.

maha

Offline Manal

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 08:53:03 AM »
Thanks Maha for the reply, but do you recommend a certain brand??

manal

Offline maha

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 11:07:06 AM »
The one I was using was manufactured by Dr Reckeweg & Co (Germany). I used it as it was widely available in India. But I suppose all brands are the same. In India docs prefer the german brands.

maha

Offline Manal

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2010, 01:32:26 AM »
Thanks Maha :hugfriend

After how long did Hassan spleen decreased?

manal

Offline maha

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2010, 04:12:46 AM »
Actually Manal Hassan`s spleen at that time was only palpable. The doc said it could be 1cm - 2cm enlarged. This med was given so that the spleen remains healthy and doesn't enlarge further. At the age of 2 when I was in India, Hassan was sick and the paediatrician who was checking him asked us if he had his spleen removed. That means then it was not even palpable. Even now whenever he has an infection his spleen is palpable otherwise its ok.It's almost 2 years since I have stopped this med.

maha

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk