Parents Aging W

• 9 Replies
Parents Aging W
« on: May 29, 2007, 06:22:35 PM »
Hi,

I'm new to the board.  I'm a thal minor with two thal minor kids, and one without thal.  My concern right now is my aging mother.  She's having heart problems.  She had a pacemaker put in a month ago but is still getting breathless and tiring even more than from the usual fatigue from thal minor.  We all know about the dangers of doctors who tell us to take iron, who don't know about thal minor, but my mom is 83 years old and getting forgetful.  As recently as a few months ago she was quizzing me about iron, because her primary care physician had her taking iron and she'd forgotten about not taking it.  I told her to stop taking it.  (She never goes to a doctors without one of her adult children with her now).

Fortunately she's more under the care of her cardilogist now, but he's stumped.  I know I've been prescribed and taken iron, years ago, before I knew better and I'm sure my mom is the same.  I know that minor can mimic major to a much lesser degree, (as in delayed puberty, etc.)  now I'm wondering if she could have damaged her heart and also how her thal minor may be contributing to her current heart issues. I've mentioned this to her cardiologist and he's investigating this now.  Anyone out there who has aging parents with thal minor, who might be able to shed some light on this?  Thanks, you seem like a great group of people.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Re: Parents Aging W
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 06:32:42 PM »
Hello Gianna,

I don't know that connection between thal minor and heart problems in old age.  My grandma (who has thal minor) is in her early 80s. 
She also had a pacemaker put in in her 70s.  She has been doing well since, she is very active and alert at her age. 

Do most thal minors run into these kind of issues in their old age? 

Sharmin
Sharmin

Re: Parents Aging with Thal minor
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 06:41:52 PM »
I'm not sure there's a conncection, but I've read that many thal majors die of heart failure I'm wondering if there could be some kind of connection.  I was more concerned about a lifetime of being overprescribed iron and possibly having some kind of heart damgage due to that.  Does your grandmother also have thyroid problems?  My mom is on thyroid medication  and I think there's also a link there to thal.  I feel lucky that my mom has made it to her eighties, you probably feel the same about your grandmother.

Offline Courtenay1826

• Mommy to Karol & Mychael
  • Thal Minor (with symptoms!)
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 11:43:26 PM »
My grandmother who is 77 has thal minor and heart issues - she has a leaky valve to top it off, though.  She has to have oxygen round the clock due to her lost capability to carry oxygen in her blood - she's constantly tired, and beginning to be very forgetful due to her anxiety.  She is consistently low in vitamin B12, which is common in elderly patients with Thal Minor.

Hope this helps!

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 02:29:26 PM »
Hi Gianna,

Low Hb definitely has it's toll on the body especially when one is old and weak. With Thal. Minor her Hb has to be low and her body is now too weak to function properly with the lack of oxygen in her blood.

It's seems, she can do better if she gets a lot of fresh air and balanced diet and have good time with the family.

Take care, Peace!
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 02:00:55 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback.  I'll find out more at her next appt. with the cardiologist.

Offline jzd24

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 04:05:16 PM »
Gianna,
     My father had thal minor and died from a massive heart attack at age 54. This was over 30 years ago, and he probably could have been saved if he died from the same thing now, with new medical techniques. He had never been treated for thal at all, just diagnosed with it when he was an adult. My grandmother died in her late 60's from complications with gall bladder problems. I think she refused to get her gall bladder out and it got infected, no one seems to know for sure.
     Not the best news, sorry. At least medical knowledge is better now.  Jean

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 04:34:39 PM »
Hi guys,

I have positive news for all of you thal minors - my husband and I are both thal minors - and both of our our grandparents have live to be nearly 100 years old. They were all strong till the end.  My grandma had some heart irregularity in her 70s but thanks to her pace maker she is doing very well in her 80s.  She pretty much takes care of an entire house hold on her own.  I hope that this is encouraging to thal minors that they can live full and healthy lives.   Maybe how well thal minors do depends on other conditions present??  I am not sure, but I wish good health and long lives to all thals!

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline jzd24

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2007, 12:59:30 AM »
I agree with Sharmin that other conditions can affect thal minor health. I forgot about my uncle who had thal minor and did very well. He lived into his 80's. Jean

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 03:20:28 AM »
HI Gianna,

If there is a possibility that your mother was on long term iron supplements, it might help to have a serum ferritin test done to see if there are high iron levels. If this is verified, it would raise a concern about the possibility of iron deposits in the heart, which could lead to lowered heart function.

As many have said, this could just be a product of aging but because of the thal minor and the propensity of doctors to mistakenly prescribe iron to minors who do not need it, and since the doctor is stumped, you might want to bring up the subject and ask for the serum ferritin test.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk