Physical deformities in children

• 2 Replies
Physical deformities in children
« on: June 07, 2007, 05:22:34 PM »

My sister has thalassemia minor and she was wondering if there is a connection between her and her son's deformity! My very handsome nephew was born with no fingers on his right hand and she was wondering if there is a connection with her blood disorder and I dont know what to tell her. Also is there a connection with her disorder and diabetes. Thanks in advance for any info!  Love you all and hope all is perfect with you!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 05:50:10 AM by Andy »

Re: Physical defromities in children
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 04:44:16 AM »
Thalassemia is not linked to deformity at birth as far as we know. Bone deformities occur in first few years of life if blood transfusion is not regular. As for diabetes, it is often a result of iron overload in transfused patients with poor or intermittent care. Thal minor and diabetes can co-exist but not as a result of thalassemia per the current research data.

If anyone else has a different experience, please pitch in.

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
Re: Physical defromities in children
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 04:46:11 AM »
Hi Romano,

I'm really sorry to hear about the deformity of your nephew :( What about his other hand? I hope it is all right.

I doubt that Thal. Minor can cause such deformity. However, I have heard that ladies with uncontrolled diabetes and high blood glucose levels are at a risk of having disable children.

What is the diabetes situation with your sister? Does her glucose levels stay within normal range or not?

It is very important for her to keep herself in check and avoid the diet that is harmful for her no matter how strong the temptation may be.

I wish all the best for the little fellow.

Take care, Peace!
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk