DOES FREQUENT CHELATION OF DESFERAL AFFECT Hb count?

• 7 Replies

Offline roldan par

• me and my friend
    • friendster.com
DOES FREQUENT CHELATION OF DESFERAL AFFECT Hb count?
« on: July 19, 2007, 08:24:55 AM »
I've been a thal-major patient since for about 22years, since then I'm regularly recieving BT.
The frequent of my transfusion decrease when my sleen was remove, we're glad that span of my blood transfusion were prolonged but I was advised by my doctors to have a regular chelation therapy or to have it frequently at home.
Due to lack finances my chelation therapy was irregular,the reason why I have an iron overload last year resulting to have a type1 Diabetes now and some gallstones but my liver abces was also being resolve now.
I'm afraid to have an overload again so if I got stock of desferal I chelate as soon as possible even if it takes to be daily. But as I've observe the frequent I chelate the frequent i transfuse also?
I'm confuse if chelation therapy also affect the hemoglobin level?Does it lower the hemoglobin count specially if it's frequent?Please reply...thanks!!!
hmmm...judge me when we get to know each other

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
Re: DOES FREQUENT CHELATION OF DESFERAL AFFECT Hb count?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 09:05:08 AM »
Hi Roland,

With my experience I haven't seen anything like that. Desferal removes the free Iron from the blood; not the iron that is the part of hemoglobin on the red blood cells. So this should mean that the hemoglobin remains intact when we administer Desferal.
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline ThalGal

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 05:36:06 PM »
Hi Roland,

Being on Desferal chelation therapy does not cause your HB to drop. 

Offline Gabri

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 11:21:47 PM »
Hi Roldan,

your observation could be right. In some individual Desferal is known to drop HB level. This is one of the known side effects of this chelator. I realised this problem also in me when i was on Desferal.
At one side Desferal has some side effects but at the other side it save our lifes.
Woud it be possible to make a combinet chelation therapie? This would recuce the quantity of Desferal .

Offline roldan par

• me and my friend
    • friendster.com
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 12:39:58 PM »
Hello everyone...

Thank's for replying especially those who reply to my post!!!
I'm still confused but I consider all of your advise maybe right so maybe I need to talk to my doctor regarding that?But still I need to chelate regular and monitor my iron level.
You know guys I learn a lot from our group so I'm gratefull of being one of the member of it and I'm proud of it..
  More power to our site and Godbless to everyone!!!
hmmm...judge me when we get to know each other

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 12:50:03 PM »
This is quite interesting though.

I was always told that lack of chelation results in malfunctioning spleen which destroys the healthy blood cells too resulting in lower Hb.

I guess every one's physique is different and medicine behaves differently in different people.  :dunno
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Gabri

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 10:09:09 PM »
Most of Desferal side effect are unknown for us. I will insert a link where you could read all possible side effects.

But don't worry, not all neg. effect will touch every Patien. As Sajid said we all are different, some of us will have some problems with desferal other will not have thise problems....

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/deferoxamine_ad.htm

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 03:32:09 PM »
Hi Gabri,

Nice sharing! :thumbsup

Thanks!
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk