Any actual ADVANTAGES to Thalassemia?

• 5 Replies
Any actual ADVANTAGES to Thalassemia?
« on: July 27, 2007, 03:19:37 PM »
That talk about us having 'thick blood' got me thinking...maybe certain side effects of our condition can be used to our advantage sometimes. For instance, we do very well in cold weather when other people wouldn't be able to function. Do you think maybe our thick blood gives us the advantage of bleeding slower than others?

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
Re: Any actual ADVANTAGES to Thalassemia?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 05:06:28 AM »
Hi,
Another advantage that we had already discussed earlier is that we are unlikely to get Malaria. Even if we get infected, our bodies recover much faster before the thing gets serious. Something that had happened to me sometime ago.
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 06:31:07 AM »
As Sajid pointed out, thalassemia does give some protection from malaria. Thals tend to get less severe cases and can also get protection against the more serious type of malaria by having been infected by the weaker version of malaria. Because of this, thal carriers survived malaria epidemics at much higher rates than non-carriers and while non-thals died, thal carriers didn't, thereby increasing the percentage of carriers in those areas. In this way being a thal carrier has given a huge benefit to those who live in the areas of the world where malaria is prevalent.

Thick blood is not a good thing as it does increase the risk of stroke. Aspirin is often recommended as a blood thinner but I prefer vitamin E.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Courtenay1826

• Mommy to Karol & Mychael
  • Thal Minor (with symptoms!)
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 10:20:03 PM »
Yeah thick blood is no fun.  :mad I don't want to start blood thinners.

RESIST! RESIST!  :grrr

I have not experienced any benefits to thal as of yet.

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 12:26:50 AM »
Hi,

Why should thal major or intermedia have thick blood in first place, isn't thickness is more associated with platlets count and not Hb which is already low ...and therefore the blood should not be concentrated or of high density?? Hope i am clear

I 'm a little bit confused , why should thal carriers have thick blood too especially that some don't have symptoms??

Manal

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 02:43:26 AM »
From http://www.charite.de/ch/medgen/eumedis/thalassemia04/hypercoagulable-state-hemoglobinopathies.html

Different red-blood-cell disorders, such as hemoglobinopathies, PV, PNH, G6PD deficiency, HEMPAS, etc., are frequently associated with the existence of a hypercoagulable state.[A hypercoagulable state is the medical term for a condition in which there is an abnormally increased tendency toward blood clotting (coagulation).] In thalassemia (thal) and sickle cell anemia (SCD), many laboratory findings suggest the existence of a chronic hypercoagulable state [1] existing already in childhood [2]. These include low levels of protein S and C, increased platelet consumption and ongoing platelet, monocyte, granulocyte and endothelial cell activation [1]. In addition, it seems that continuous thrombin generation and enhanced fibrinolysis are also taking place [1]. As patients get older, particularly where medical care is more readily available, clinical manifestations of thromboembolic phenomena, both venous and arterial, are much more prevalent [3]. Moreover, autopsy findings suggested that a subclinical hypercoagulable state also exist in many cases. These include platelet and fibrin thrombi, mainly in the vasculature of the lungs [4] and brain [5], which may result in high frequency of right heart failure and ischemic brain lesions...These results suggest that prophylactic antithrombotic treatment in certain of these “high risk” conditions should be considered. For instance, such a treatment could benefit post-splenectomy β-thal intermedia patients, who are not regularly transfused, have many circulating pathological RBC and a relative increase in platelet number [13] and also in transfused patients with high levels of NTBI. Whether prolonged antithrombotic treatment can prevent subclinical thrombosis in the lung and brain has to be tested in controlled trials. Another therapeutic option which is currently being tested, is to use a combination of antioxidants such as vitamin E, plant flavinoids, polyphenols and iron chelators such as deferiprone, which can chelate intracellular iron in order to ameliorate the deleterious effects of ROS on the pathological RBC and platelets [7] and the consequent activation of the coagulation system.

I would suggest adding IP6 to the list of natural antioxidants, as it is with deferiprone, it works at the cellular level. Thals should already be taking a dose of vitamin E daily, as almost all thals are found to be deficient in E. It is a safe blood thinner and has many benefits. I think one thing we should keep in mind is that vitamin and mineral supplementation in thal was largely overlooked for many years, other than the recommendations of folic acid and zinc. In recent years, leading doctors like Dr Vichinsky have made many recommendations regarding the nutritional needs of thals. I think some of the problems thals encounter can be greatly reduced with a stronger emphasis on the special nutritional requirements of thals. Antioxidants are important for anyone but there is a much greater need for antioxidants among thals. Antioxidants protect the cells from damage and should be a very important part of the daily nutritional regimen of thals.  The role they have in fighting hypercoagulation can be significant to the long term health of thals.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk