What could be the reason of SF increase after chelation?

• 2 Replies

Offline Zai

What could be the reason of SF increase after chelation?
« on: August 14, 2007, 03:13:46 AM »
HI!

My initial SF before having chelation is 1,783, after two weeks of therapy, I had it checked and it lowered to 1.,210. Afterwards, I continued and consumed 20 vials then had my SF checked once more, however, my doctor was shocked as much as I am that the value went up to 1,803... ???

Why is that?

I'll appreciate your explanation...
thanks a lot...

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: What could be the reason of SF increase after chelation?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 04:08:25 AM »
I would guess that the chelation is freeing up iron that has been stored in your tissue and organs and it is now appearing in your serum ferritin. Many patients have seen ferritin levels rise when first starting exjade also, but after awhile they go back down. Hopefully yours will do the same.

One other possibility is hyper absorption of iron in the gut. This is common in thal intermedia, but can also occur if the hemoglobin levels are quite low. Once the hemoglobin drops below the 10-10.5 range, there is an increase in bone marrow activity and this leads to excess iron absorption from food. A disorder called hemochromatosis can also cause this to happen.

Make sure you drink tea with your meals to inhibit iron absorption from food and do not eat citrus or drink citrus juices with meals, because citrus helps iron to be absorbed. It is best to use citrus between meals if you want to avoid iron absorption.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Zai

Re: What could be the reason of SF increase after chelation?
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 11:51:42 AM »
Thanks a lot Mr. Andy... I was enlightened with your explanation.. I really appreciate it... I'll be continuing with my chelation in september... Thanks...  :biggrin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk