benefits of ip6

• 80 Replies

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
benefits of ip6
« on: August 21, 2007, 09:27:57 PM »
Andy,

I have noticed many of the benefits of IP6 in my son - the change in his skin color and the slow decrease in SF.  He has also grown 1/2 to 1cm every 3 weeks - I don't know if this is related in anyway - but it has been correlated.

I am noticing that his hg is dropping a bit slower - he is higher after 3 weeks - this is mostly do to the timing of prednisone - but I am wondering if the IP6 may have an effect on regulating his overactive immune system - I say this b/c we are noticing less warm autoantibody activity since we began taking the IP6.  Is this possible?  If so I am tempted to bathe him in this stuff.  :biggrin
(Just kidding currently he gets 2000mg a day). 

Sharmin

Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: benefits of ip6
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 12:53:22 AM »
IP6 (phytic acid) has several important qualities that make it very attractive as a supplement for thalassemics, and frankly, for most other people. It inhibits cancer growth, is a strong antioxidant and enhances the immune system.

From http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12594974&dopt=AbstractPlus

Phytic acid or IP6 has been extensively studied in animals and is being promoted as an anti-cancer agent in health food stores. It is naturally found in legumes, wheat bran, and soy foods. It is believed to be the active ingredient that gives these substances their cancer fighting abilities. Proposed mechanisms of action include gene alteration, enhanced immunity, and anti-oxidant properties...There is a large body of animal evidence to show that phytic acid may have a role in both the prevention and treatment of many forms of cancer.

Yes, I do feel that IP6 can have a positive effect on the immune system. I think the antioxidant effect helps improve cellular health throughout the body. My only concern is that patients also make sure they are taking a zinc supplement, as IP6 like other chelators, does remove some zinc along with iron. 

I also wonder if taking IP6 with meals would be the better procedure for thals, as it does inhibit iron absorption from foods.

I have highlighted the section about cancer because this may be of special significance to thals as they age. Cancer cells feed on iron. This does seem to imply that older thals who have had chronic iron overload may be more susceptible to some cancers because the iron is available to feed cancer growth. Keeping iron stores low and preventing the activity of cancer in cells can provide some protection against cancer and IP6 can help with this protection.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 03:01:49 AM »
Thanks Andy,

This helps a lot because I have been having difficulty timing the IP6 - because as per the directions I try to give it to him 1 hour before or 3 hours after meals - assuming that it would be less effective when taken with food.  If it would be just as effective taken with food - if not more (since it interferes with iron absorbtion) I will begin giving it to him with his meals - that will be much easier!

I hope that it does help regulate his immune system - I know that supplements such as IP6 and green tea have a positive effect on asthma etc.  (which is also an overactive immune issue). 

I hope that everyone uses this supplement - just looking at my son's face each day makes me feel happy - seeing him glowing and radiant rather than ashy & orange - it makes me think of the benefit his other organs must be gaining from this supplement.   

:hugfriend :hugfriend Thanks Andy 

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 11:25:26 AM »
Hi,

I wanted to share my experience too,on friday when my daughter went for transfusion after four weeks,she was on IP6,but she had taken it only for 3 days,and after four weeks her hb was 10.6, this is very unusual,because normally after four weeks her hb tends to be on  10 maximum,lower then that sometimes,so we always schedualed her transfusion on four weeks once and then three weeks,and so on,but this time doctor has asked us to come after four weeks again,i was just wondering that if it was due to IP6 or something else,anyways i am keeping my fingers crossed and will see what her hb is after 4 weeks.

ZAINI.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 02:50:33 PM »
Hi Zaini,
I just wanted to say - what a cute picture!
She is so sweet!
Sharmin

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 02:57:00 PM »
Also, Zaini - have you noticed any change in her appearance yet? 
Sharmin

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 12:38:05 AM »
Sharmin & Zaini, I am so happy for your children and hope they will continue benefiting from the IP6 as much as they can :hugfriend :hugfriend

Andy, great information and as you said it should be considered by every one

Take care
Manal

Offline Zaini

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 12:04:34 PM »
Thanx Manal,

For your wishes,we do need them,

Yes Sharmin,there is a great difference in her appearance,her skin colour is lighter then it used to be,the brownishness is gone,and after a few years i've seen a little bit of pinkish colour on her face,and it makes me really happy,i think IP6 has some cosmetic effect also  :biggrin and i am thankful to GOD and to Andy for guiding us to whatever is best for our kids,and whatever you did was a huge favour,thanx a lot.

LOVE ALWAYS,

ZAINI.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Zaini

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 12:23:48 PM »
By the way, what would be the maximum dose of IP6 for a six and a half year old kid?weighing 25 kg, Zainab was taking one tablet daily since last ten days,now i think i should make it twice a day at least.

ZAINI.
^*^Xaini^*^

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 02:06:52 PM »
Andy,

The benefits of IP6 is evident from posts relating to Zaini and Sharmin, I read somewhere that IP6 should not be given to growing children, please shed some light on it. Also, if you agree than can we crush the capsule/tablet for IP6 so that it is easy to swallow for a four year old.

Sharmin,

If you could send us the IP6 brand name and name of the store in Canada.

Thanks.
Regards.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 02:27:52 PM »
Hi Canadian Family,

I think I was supposed to get back to you on this a while back - sorry for the delay my husband orders it and I will get more information from him and send it to you very soon.

The brand we have is called Classic Series IP6 by Innovative Research and Scientific Integrity - 500mg.

Zaini - my son gets 4 of the 500mg caplets a day.  I'm glad you are also seeing a difference in your daughter's skin color - it does bring out a pinky hue - and since the skin is an organ - it is an indication that iron is being removed from her organs.

Andy, I had not heard that you shouldn't use IP6 in growing children - could it be that it is not good fro non-thal children because of the iron chelation??

Have a great day my friends,
Sharmin :hugfriend
Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 03:03:40 PM »
If you check most supplements they have the standard warning that they shouldn't be used by anyone under age 18. This is a standard disclaimer to protect companies from lawsuits over supplements that have not been tested on children. Only the very basic supplements do not have this warning, the reason being, that most supplements have never been tested on children. I expect this is mainly due to the cost of testing.

With IP6 there is an added reason, and Sharmin has hit the nail on the head.

From Bill Sardi's report (Bill Sardi is responsible for so much of the notice that IP6 has received as an anti-cancer agent) at http://www.knowledgeofhealth.com/report.asp?story=The%20IP6%20Rice%20Bran%20Cleanse&catagory=Chelation,%20IP6

IP6 should not be used by growing children or pregnant women who have high iron and calcium needs...IP6 should be taken on an empty stomach so as not to interfere with mineral absorption from foods.

As I have stated before, IP6 chelates minerals just as all chelators do and supplements should already be used by thal patients and this has been recommended for many years. Zinc and calcium are universally recommended for thals along with folic acid and this should be followed whether IP6 is used or not. I have included the second section to illustrate why IP6 is probably better taken WITH meals by thal patients. Thals actually do want to prevent one specific mineral from being absorbed from foods, that mineral being iron and is why I have suggested that IP6 should be taken with the meal.

The standard recommended dosage for IP6 is 1000-2000 mg per day. This is when being used normally. As a chelator, a slightly higher dose may eventually be recommended. In lab studies, doses as high as 10,000 mg (10 grams) were used and NO side effects were found. Keep in mind that IP6 is a naturally occurring substance which is found in the bran of grains (one more reason to eat whole grains rather than refined grains) and also found in every cell in the body.
Andy

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 03:09:56 PM »
IP6 capsules can easily be opened and mixed with food or liquids. It is water soluble so it is fairly easy to mix.
Andy

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 03:59:38 PM »
Sharmin and Andy,

Thanks for the reply.

Regards
Regards.

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2007, 06:09:32 PM »
Is This easly available in chemist.Is there any time frame that it should be taken empty stomach or something.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk