Discussion Forums > Diet, Nutrition and Supplements

Vitamin and Mineral Supplementation in Thalassemia

<< < (2/50) > >>

Shikha Mitra:
 Narendra.... I think Folic acid would be great.... and ofcourse calcium supplements...

shikha Mitra

Colin:
Hi

I have been recommended squalene (shark liver oil?) as an anti-oxidant.  I was told that it would assist Thal patients as we were prone to cancers. 

Anyone knows about this? ???

Andy Battaglia:
More about Vitamin D.

From Jean Carper's column,  http://www.jeancarper.com/eatsmart/1724

--- Quote ---Don't be vitamin D-ficient

A new Harvard study finds that men who had the highest blood levels of vitamin D were 29% less apt to die from any cancer than those who had the least blood D.

The vitamin appeared to be particularly effective in preventing deaths from colon, pancreatic, esophageal and stomach cancers. According to one measure, an extra 1,500 IU of a vitamin D supplement may cut such cancer deaths by 45%.

New German research suggests that vitamin D may be a new anti-inflammatory agent for treating congestive heart failure. A daily dose of 2,000 IU vitamin D strongly reduced signs of inflammation, which is involved in heart failure.

Such high doses of D generally aren't recommended but are safe, researchers say. High-vitamin D foods include canned pink salmon (3 ounces have 530 IU).

Scientific sources
Vitamin D vs. cancer
Giovannucci E. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2006 Apr 5;98(7): 451-9
Vitamin D vs. heart failure
Schleithoff, Stefanie. Am J Clin Nutr. 2006 Apr; 83(4):754-9
--- End quote ---

Calcium is a common supplement for thals and should be taken along with magnesium and Vitamin D. Vitamin D is required for proper absorption of calcium and magnesium along with calcium help regulate the heart beat. Calcium without magnesium can lead to heart palpitations. This new study shows that Vitamin D may also aid in treating congestive heart failure. One more reason to make sure you are getting your D.

Andy Battaglia:
If you are looking for nutritional content of different foods there is an excellent resource provided by the US Department of Agriculture at

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

You can find information on vitamin and mineral content of foods prepared in a variety of ways. It is a very useful resource.

Another note I want to make is that there is a difference between the absorption rates of heme and non heme iron. This should be considered when making calculations about how much iron is in your diet. Vegetable source iron is less well absorbed in the gut and absorption can also be somewhat prevented by using certain foods, such as tea, with meals.

§ãJ¡Ð ساجد:

--- Quote from: Andy on October 03, 2006, 06:43:25 AM ---If you are looking for nutritional content of different foods there is an excellent resource provided by the US Department of Agriculture at

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
--- End quote ---

This is IT! :yahoo :jumping

I've been looking for such database but always found very limited ones.

Thanks Andy!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version