Middle Eastern women may have vitamin D deficiency

• 12 Replies

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« on: August 26, 2007, 06:47:10 AM »
I have noticed during my visits to Asia, that many people also wear long sleeve shirts and long pants or dresses and also avoid exposure to much sun, along with the women who totally cover. I wondered about vitamin D and this study answered my questions. Even in the sunniest climates, people don't necessarily get enough exposure to sunlight, and as a result, are D deficient. This study is also very interesting in its implications for people in colder climates where the sun is not a good source of vitamin D for many months each year, and also for the information on dosages used in this study. Another recent study showed that people with dark skin need longer exposure to light than fair skinned people, in order for their bodies to manufacture sufficient vitamin D. I have to use vitamin D supplements during the colder months to lessen seasonal affective disorder and I would think people living in less sunny climates than their ancestors did, may also need to watch their vitamin D intake in winter to make sure they get enough. Simply put, if you don't get much exposure to the sun, you may need extra vitamin D.

The dosages in this study were much higher than what has been recommended in the past, yet only 30% of the women studied had raised their D levels to normal by the end of the study. The recommended dosage of vitamin D needs to be rethought.

http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSHAR56610220070625

Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:22PM EDT

By David Douglas

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - In certain Middle Eastern and other countries where conservative dress curtails exposure to sunlight, high levels of vitamin D supplementation may be needed to raise serum levels sufficiently in women, investigators report.

"When sunlight exposure -- the main source for vitamin D in humans -- is limited," Dr. Hussein F. Saadi told Reuters Health, "much higher dietary intake of vitamin D is needed than currently recommended," especially for women who are breast-feeding.

As reported in the June issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Saadi and colleagues at the United Arab Emirates University, Al Ain, studied vitamin D levels in 90 women who were breastfeeding and 88 women who had never given birth. Many dressed to cover their whole bodies, including their hands and faces, while outside of their homes.

Only two of the women, one in each group, were not vitamin D deficient at study. All the women were randomly assigned to receive 2000 IU of vitamin D2 daily or 60,000 IU in one dose each month. The investigators note that vitamin D2 is the only high-dose calciferol available in the UAE.

Althoughboth monthly and daily dosing significantly and safely increased vitamin D levels, only 21 of the 71 women (30 percent) who completed the 3-month study reached the recommended blood levels.

Vitamin D2 doses "as high as 2000 IU per day were marginally effective in ensuring adequate vitamin D status," Saadi commented. He and his colleagues suggest that "if the more potent vitamin D3 preparation is not available, higher doses of vitamin D2 than currently studied may be needed."

Dr. Saadi added, "When compliance or adherence with a daily regimen of vitamin D supplementation is an issue, monthly dosing appears to be a safe and effective alternative in ensuring adequate vitamin D status in subjects at risk for vitamin D deficiency."

SOURCE: American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, June 2007.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Dori

Re: Middle Eastern women may have vitamin D deficiency
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 01:44:26 PM »
Can a shortage of vit D be linked to depression?

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 03:54:12 PM »
Yes Dore, i have read many studies that linked general depression and seasonal depression in addition to body aches with the deficency of vitamin D

Here is one of the links

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/depression.shtml

manal

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 04:05:08 PM »
Yes, and my own experience backs this up. Like many people, I suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) during the winter months. I tried light bulbs that mimic the sun's rays but had only minimal positive results. When I started taking vitamin D during the winter months, things improved. This winter, I doubled my dose to 2000 IU daily and have had a much easier time coping with SAD and by doubling the dose, I was able to rid myself of the pain in my legs that was making my life miserable.

Vitamin D has been shown to have a positive effect on SAD and also on depression in older adults. I think that with more study, we will see more evidence to back up the value of vitamin D. As more research has emerged in recent years, we have seen that D has a dramatic effect on the ability of other vitamins and minerals to be used by the body. A few years ago the rage was calcium, but now the advice to take calcium is almost always accompanied by the advice that vitamin D needs to be taken with calcium for it to be properly absorbed. Vitamin D has become the current "hot" vitamin and for good reason. I think that many thals, minor through major can benefit from daily D supplements.
Andy

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 04:15:53 PM »
Andy,

Vitamin D deficiency has also been linked to certain autoimmune disorders.  My son's blood test revealed a vitamin D deficiency last spring.  Could this have had some link to his AIHA?  I have since supplemented him with osteocare and progressives which both have vitamin D. 

Thanks,

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 04:35:59 PM »
Sharmin,

As more studies are released, it has become apparent that vitamin D has an affect on most if not all bodily functions. te immune system is no exception.

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/vitamins/vitaminD/

mmunity

Vitamin D in the form of 1,25(OH)2D is a potent immune system modulator. The vitamin D receptor (VDR) is expressed by most cells of the immune system, including T cells and antigen-presenting cells, such as dendritic cells and macrophages (7). Under some circumstances, macrophages also produce the 25(OH)D3-1-hydroxylase enzyme that converts 25(OH)D to 1,25(OH)2D (8). There is considerable scientific evidence that 1,25(OH)2D has a variety of effects on immune system function, which may enhance innate immunity and inhibit the development of autoimmunity (9).

People whose lineage is originally from warmer climates and have darker skin, need more vitamin D. It has been proven that the darker your skin, the more sunlight is needed daily to provide the necessary amount of vitamin D. These areas of the world also coincide with the thalassemia belt. During the winter months, exposure to the sun is infrequent in the colder climates and even when exposed, it has also been proven that not as much D is absorbed during winter months, as the sun's strength is less. If you are from a genetic background that is historically from warmer climates you will most likely need to make sure your vitamin D intake is sufficient if you want to have optimal health. This includes the immune system.
Andy

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 07:56:37 PM »
Although there were many factors that contributed to my son's antibodies, exposure to multiple antigens and possibly some predisposition to developing antibodies in those conditions - I think that his vitamin D deficiency may also have played a role. 

Over time, avoiding exposure to the antigens and giving him vitamin D will be important.  This is another reason that thals should be taking vitamin D as it may offer protection against autoimmune illnesses like MS, AIHA, and lupus.  These diseases are difficult to deal with on their own, coupled with thalassemia they can complicate the situation immensely. 

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline KHALIFA

• ONE FOR ALL AND ALL FOR ONE
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 09:59:29 PM »
Andy really i don't mind to change my home with you if you want we have the sun here for all the year 365 days for more than 12 houres ,,, any way guys i invite you all to come here in kuwait incase of shortage of Vitamine D  :wink
                                           khalifa
                                     state of kuwait
RED_PILOT

Offline Dori

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 01:44:03 PM »
Andy really i don't mind to change my home with you if you want we have the sun here for all the year 365 days for more than 12 houres ,,, any way guys i invite you all to come here in kuwait incase of shortage of Vitamine D  :wink
                                           khalifa
                                     state of kuwait

:grin If I ever come in the area, I know where to find you  :wink

Offline Dori

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 04:23:58 PM »
Let's hope I post this in the right area:

Redefining Vitamin D Deficiency Would Mean Many More Black Teens Would Have Unhealthy Levels, Study Finds
09 Mar 2009   

Changing the definition of vitamin D deficiency would put many U.S. teenagers, blacks in particular, at unhealthy levels, according to a study published in the March issue of Pediatrics, Reuters Health reports. Having healthy levels of vitamin D is necessary for bone development and maintenance, and it also plays a role in nerve, muscle and immune system function.

According to Reuters Health, "there is debate over how the optimal vitamin D level should be defined." Currently, levels of vitamin D in the blood have to be below 11 nanograms per milliliter to be considered deficient. Some experts consider a level of 30 ng/mL or higher to be desirable for overall health, but many argue that the threshold should be lower at 20 ng/mL.

For the study, Sandy Saintonge of Weill Cornell Medical College and colleagues examined data from a government health survey of about 3,000 teens ages 12 to 19. They found that under the lower optimal level, 14% of the teens would be considered vitamin D deficient, compared with 2% under the current standard. Fifty percent of black teenagers would be deficient, compared with 11% under the current standard, according to the report. Overweight teenagers also had an elevated risk at the lower level, according to Saintonge.

The findings suggest that teens should take vitamin D supplements and have their blood levels routinely checked, especially if they have an increased risk of deficiency, according to the study (Reuters Health, 3/5).

An abstract of the study is available online.

Reprinted with kind permission from http://www.kaisernetwork.org. You can view the entire Kaiser Daily Health Policy Report, search the archives, or sign up for email delivery at http://www.kaisernetwork.org/dailyreports/healthpolicy. The Kaiser Daily Health Policy Report is published for kaisernetwork.org, a free service of The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation.

© 2009 Advisory Board Company and Kaiser Family Foundation. All rights reserved.

Article URL: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/141489.php

Main News Category: Nutrition / Diet

Also Appears In:  Pediatrics / Children's Health,  Public Health, 

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 04:34:11 PM »
This makes sense. The darker your skin, the more exposure you need to the sun to get an adequate amount of vitamin D. And living in a warm climate is no guarantee, as this original study from the UAE showed. If you cover or just have very limited exposure to the sun, you cannot get enough vitmain D from sun alone.
Andy

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 06:58:26 PM »
Andy,

I have increased little A's osteocare so that he is receiving the maximum amount for his age - 10ml 3X daily.  With the progressives - this makes about 1000IU a day.  I will continue this for another week while his doctor speaks with the doctors in Oakland to determine how he is going to get his megadoses of vit D.  If they don't begin some kind of treatment by next week, I have vit D3 pills should I add 1000 IU more to what I am giving him? 

When my vitamin D levels were low I was put on 3000IU a day for 3 months before my levels were restored.  Now I am on a maintenance dose of 1000IU daily.  Coupled with my thalassemia minor, having low vit D was really draining me. 

Thanks,

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 08:00:54 PM »
I think little A should be getting a minimum of 2000 IU vitamin D daily during months when he does not get regular exposure to the sun.
Andy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk