Update on Khalifa's Son, Abdulwahab

• 5 Replies

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Update on Khalifa's Son, Abdulwahab
« on: March 15, 2006, 03:11:52 AM »
Khalifa called yesterday for his latest update. Abdulwahab's progress continues to be very slow. His bone marrow is working and producing red blood cells and his Hb, without any recent transfusion was around 9.6.
His muscles are still very weak but slowly recovering. The main concern is the CMV (Cytomegalovirus) virus that is still very active in his system. Until this is brought under control, he will remain in hospital. In people with weakened immune systems, as is the case after a bone marrow transplant,  this can be a very serious problem.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000663.htm

Cytomegalovirus, also known as CMV, is a virus. Most humans are exposed to this virus in their lifetime, but typically only individuals with weakened immune systems become ill from CMV infection...Infections can include: CMV pneumonia, CMV gastroenteritis, CMV retinitis, and CMV encephalitis, and a mononucleosis-like illness.

Once a person becomes infected, the virus remains alive, but usually dormant, within that person's body for life. Rarely does it cause recurrent disease, unless the person's immune system is suppressed due to therapeutic drugs or disease. Therefore, for the vast majority of people, CMV infection is not a serious problem...The objective of treatment is to stop the replication of the virus within the body through the use of antiviral agents. These drugs DO NOT eliminate the virus from the body -- they only keep it from dividing.

The most commonly used drugs are ganciclovir, valganciclovir, foscarnet, and cidofovir. These are used in patients in whom CMV disease is established throughout the body.

Khalifa would like to know if there are any other known treatments for CMV. If anyone knows of any other treatments, please let us know.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Danielle

• Beta Thal Major
Re: Update on Khalifa's Son, Abdulwahab
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 09:12:01 AM »
Oh my goodness, that poor little boy.  I cannot believe he is still so sick from that BMT.  I'm so glad to hear that he is making his own cells now and that he is recovering, but I'm sad to hear that it's taking him so long to get back to his darling self.  He and his family will be in my prayers.   :pray

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 08:19:43 PM »
Well, how about some good news?

I just chatted with Khalifa and at long last things are looking better for Abdulwahab. The CMV virus is finally weakened and some tests have shown none of it and others have shown still a small trace but it is very much improved. And the really good news is that the doctors now hope that he can be released from the hiospital within the next month!!!!!  :biggrin  :biggrin  :biggrin

Now that is some refreshing news!!!
Andy

Offline Danielle

• Beta Thal Major
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006, 08:56:30 PM »
That really is wonderful news, Andy!   :yahoo

I'm so glad that Abdulwahab is finally recovering and will be able to go home soon!   :clap

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 05:43:43 AM »
 :woot This adds to another success story that most people ask about or have doubts about. Now we can proudly say "Check out our website to read one!"
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 05:17:51 AM »
Khalifa called me this afternoon to tell me that on Saturday, they will be flying back home to Kuwait!
   :grin :yahoo :clap :veil :boogie :biggrin :five :biggrin :boogie :veil :clap :yahoo :grin
After 14 months, Abdulwahab will finally be returning home after his bone marrow transplant.

Let's wish them the best as Abdulwahab continues his recovery. 

Andy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk