Any help ?? My nephew is 12yrs old and is Thal Major

• 4 Replies
Any help ?? My nephew is 12yrs old and is Thal Major
« on: September 12, 2007, 05:07:58 PM »
My nephew is 12 yrs old. Diagnosed a Thal Major when 1 yr old. Since then on blood transfusion. Now , he develops rashes on the body. Platellet count too goes down alarmingly. It seems Alopathy has no answer. Any body who can advise  as what to do and where to look to. Please help me as we are in dire trouble

Vijay

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
Re: Any help ?? My nephew is 12yrs old and is Thal Major
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 11:04:58 PM »
Hi Vijay and welcome to the site. Sorry to hear about your nephew. One of the members here ''Sajid'' is also suffering these days from low platlets and the doctors told him it is due to hyper activity of the spleen. i don'r know if it is the same case or not or if there is any other reasons. What is the opinion of the hematologist???

Manal

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 01:35:11 AM »
Hi Vijay,

Can you tell us more about your nephew? Does he have a history of poor health? How long has he had the rash and what does it look like? How long has he had low platelets? Which chelator does he use and what is his ferritin level? What is his hemoglobin level? Is his spleen enlarged? Does he have other problems like diabetes or hepatitis? Where is he being treated? Does he drink anything containing the artificial sweetener, aspartame? There have been some rare reports of low platelets associated with aspartame use.

Rash is one symptom of low platelets. If this is the case, a corticosteroid such as prednisone may be of help in inhibiting the overactive immune system response that is destroying the platelets.

From http://www.diagnose-me.com/cond/C271923.html

Treatment & Prevention
Conventional treatment is often aimed at inhibiting the immune system with corticosteroids such as prednisone. Because the spleen filters the platelet-immune complex it may be necessary to remove it in order to reduce the production of anti-platelet antibodies and slow the clearance of platelets from the system. In some people, however, more platelets are destroyed in the liver than in the spleen and in this case removing the spleen is less likely to result in remission. Note that after the spleen has been removed and the platelet levels elevated, the liver can take over the removal function and the platelet count can drop again.

The acute manifestation can usually be controlled by a course of therapy using steroids to inhibit the immune response for a period of several weeks. Chronic autoimmune thrombocytopenia develops in a small percentage of patients. In that case, steroid therapy eventually fails (due to the side-effects from prolonged administration). Until recently, the main therapy for chronic autoimmune thrombocytopenia has been splenectomy, which is sometimes curative and at the very least reduces the disease severity.

Please don't give up hope. It is important that your nephew is surrounded by people who believe that he can overcome this. If those around him are depressed, it may affect his own will.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 05:59:00 AM »
Hello Vijay,

I would also like to ask the same question as Mr. Andy.

Anyway, I was advised spleenctomy but in the meantime my other doctor prescribed me "Vitamin K" which increased my platelets from 60K to 80K in 3 days. I will be having them checked on Saturday which will be my 8th day on Vit-K. Lets hope that it works and have increased the levels much higher now.
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 03:24:40 PM »
Can anybody tell if Homeopathy or any alternative therapy is worth trying and where from ?
What is Rodex and how does it help a Thal Major ?

Vijay
www.vkmathur.com/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk