Please HELP me!

• 21 Replies

Offline Cath_07

• The easiest thing to do in life is to surrender; never surrender!
  • Beta Thalassemia Minor
Please HELP me!
« on: September 18, 2007, 03:43:16 PM »
Hello to all my friends on this site.  I thank God for finding this site.  I am desperately in need of help as I have a lot of symptoms that are troubling and affecting my daily life.  I need advice from any of you so that I can have a normal healthy life.  I feel very lethargic, short breath, near faint, tingling/numbness at my upper and lower limbs, poor concentration, and have very low energy plus muscle cramps.  This is affecting my work as today i did not go to work coz i'm too lethargic and dizzy.  Yesterday I was struggling at the office and could not perform at work coz I was feeling really lethargic, dizzy and could not concentrate.  I also could not take the air-cond in the office, my limbs were feeling extremely cold so much so that I had to wear leg warmers!!  I have been suffering so much with my symptoms lately.   I went for blood screening and medical check-up recently.   I am a BTM (Beta Thal Minor), my Hb level is at 10.7g/L and my Iron/ferratin is at 34.9ng/ml.  I went to a Hematologist and was informed that my symptoms has got nothing to do with my blood condition and was given Salbutiamine (Arcallion) for my lethargy which I have to take 2 tabs/day for 3 months. So far I don't see any improvement.  I was referred by the Hematologist to consult the Neurologist and Cardiologist and both results came out from thorough scanning are normal.  Now I am greatly in need of advice or any solution for my symptoms. Should I continue to take Salbutiamine?  What should I do and avoid in order to be better?  Thank you for listening and hope to receive your kind advice. God bless you!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 03:55:20 PM by Cath_07 »
"Laughter is the best medicine"

Kathy11

Re: Please HELP me!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 02:38:12 AM »
Hi Cath_07. :welcome
I'm Kathy a 53yrs old member of this site ,and I Have a fairly good Idea of what you are talking about, because I have gone through Hell and Back Many times. I became so sick that I had to give up my   employment , because, it became impossible to be reliable to perform the duty that was required in my profession
I now do volunteer work and still struggling with my health,

Having said that ,I found that the doctors didnt have the knowledge or couldnt be bother with whats was going on with me
I was pushed from Pillar to post with no good results, in the meanwhile my health was deterioating ,so I had to be strong, learnt as much as I could about my condition listen to my body and try hard to stay above water so to speak ,with trial and error medications.wise

This web-site has been of tremendous help in assisting me in getting valuable informations .and this has thaught me to self assesed and to direct my doctor in giving me the correct blood tests, treatments and care I desperately needed,

I donk know ,If there, is a life free of pain and health issues, because I've never  has that experience

but i know there is life of acceptance and medications that can make our lives maneageable.
Trust your feeling and seek for help untill you find  what makes you feel better.

I had to change my doctors and persevere with my search for a comfortable life.nothing more and nothing less than I deserve.The above is my experience, you are not alone and there is hope.
Good Luck Cathy-07 I hope this web-site is of great help to you too,
Kathy.

Offline Cath_07

• Beta Thalassemia Minor
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 02:28:42 PM »
Hi Kathy11,

Thank you for your advice and sharing with me.  I hope you will continue to stay positive and never give up.  As you said there is hope.  It helps alot when we are positive I think.  It's true that no one could help us other than ourselves.  Listen to our body. Trial and error.. continue discovering... What disappointed me was when the doctor denies that my symptoms are due to BTM.  This is confusing.  But I am so glad that I am not alone in this and most importantly I'm not the only one with symptoms. If not for these sites I will be feeling so lost. 

My symptoms gradually develop over time and years. It started to show more in my late 30's.  I'm 42 years young  :rotfl and am feeling it alot this year.  To the extend that I couldn't take it any more.  I despise going to the doctors.  But I have no choice, it has pushed me to the limiit... well then I found out that the doctors don't even know what's wrong with me in the first place.  Now I am my own doctor! Like you said, we must listen to our body and keep trying to find out what works for us.

I am thankful though that I am not major but my heart goes out to them.  I hope and pray that we will all be strong and hopeful.  God bless you, Kathy.  :)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 04:40:24 PM by Cath_07 »

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 03:14:34 PM »
Hi Cath_07 and welcome to the site, :urwelcome i am too thal minor/trait with no symptoms but from your post, i can tell that this could change as years pass. Anyway, feel free to ask anything and be sure that we are all here for you

Kathy, i really adore your wisdom and how you look at things, you make me feel strong :wink

Manal

Offline Cath_07

• Beta Thalassemia Minor
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 04:24:51 PM »
Hi Manal.. thank you for your warm welcome!  I am truly blessed to have Kathy and you and all here to support me.  Now I am so not alone in my challenge.  Thank God today I'm feeling alot better than yesterday and the day before.  I took my iron supplement today just to try out to feel the difference.  Even though my hematolgist did not prescribe me.  He only asked me to take Arcallion a symtomatic treatment for all forms of Asthenia, this applies to my lethargy.  I have been taking this medication for almost a month now but somehow something is telling me to take an iron pill this morning.  I feel better today.  But still have pain here and there.  Not too bad.  I am taking more meat and low carbs now.. since i learned from the sites.  I have less fainting spell lately.  I am so glad.

This site with all of you here, means a LOT to me really!  I am so blessed!  Phewwwww... I am so relieved...  Past months is like haywire...  running up and down for help only to be let down by doctors.  Made me sound like a desperado.

I am not going to let my BTM control my life,, now I am in control...  all the way.. by God's grace and help!

God bless you my friend! :stars
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 04:34:08 PM by Cath_07 »

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 10:38:04 AM »
Hi Cath_07

Welcome aboard,i am a thal minor too,and i won't say that i have symptoms ,but fatigue and pain here and there in  body is a thing which i experience on daily basis,fast heartbeat,shortness of breath,everything goes on with us thal minors i guess,but the spirit you are showing is wonderfull.I am not a medical expert or something,whatever knowledge i've gained about thal is the courtesy of this site,but i can advice you very confidently to take folic acid daily,it will improve your condition definitely,it helped me a lot,and plus drink a lot of fluids,keep yourself well hydrated,one thing that makes me envy you  :rotfl is that you can't take air-conditioning,if you ask me i'll prefer sitting  in an air conditioned room all the time, :rotfl i feel that hot,sweating,sweating and sweating,it has ruined my life  :mad,i can't take heat at all.

So try folic acid,i am not sure but your ferritin is with in normal ranges but a bit on a lower side,but don't take these iron pills for a long time.

TAKE CARE,

ZAINI.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Cath_07

• Beta Thalassemia Minor
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 05:35:28 PM »
Hello Zaini,

How are you?  I hope you are well.  Thank you for your advice.  I will take heed.  I also make sure I eat well and drink more water.  I can't even skip meal.. you know what I mean!  Today, thank God I'm in cheerie mood coz I'm feeling good except for minor pain and slight discomfort but I am so thankful for this 'feel good'.  Phewwww.   :whistle  When I look back, I realised that proper nutrition is vitally important to our health.  A few months back, I skipped taking meat on weekdays for almost 2 months.  My health condition crashed. Became really bad.  Well, experience taught me a lesson.  All these while for so many years, I didn't even know that my condition has got to do with BTM.  Only when I came to one site before this and this site that I realised it.  I am so glad and blessed for this site.  BIG THANKS TO LISA and also everyone here.

Sorry to remind you about the air-cond. I don't like to feel hot and sweaty either.  The best is moderation.

Hey, my friend, let's continue to stay positive and be thankful for all things and live one day at a time.  Be happy always and stay cool.  Take care & God bless.  :flowers

Kathy11

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 10:38:09 PM »
Hi Catb-07,
http://www.thalforum.ca/forums/articles/?p=54

Check this web-site for diet i learnt a lot from there too.
Good luck I hope its usefull and a start to a brand new way of eating,
Love Kathy

Kathy11

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 10:43:33 PM »
    its

hApril 7, 2005 @ 5:20 pm · Filed under Thalassemia Minor

I was asked by a member to post on what to look for if you are fatigued and what to eat to feel better. This is what I have learned from experience from myself and my family:

TESTS TO ASK FOR:
    You should test yourself and your kids periodically (3-6 months) to look at your HEMOGLOBIN levels, FERRITIN and other general tests for DEHYDRATION. If you are dehydrated the hemoglobin will be abnormally high and the reading will be false. You should find a hematologist and ask them if they have had any experience with thalassemia. They usually do. Testing ADRENAL function (Cortisol) is also important. Another testing sequence for wheat allergy or other FOOD ALLERGIES may also reveal a culprit.

Normal hemoglobin for women is 12-14gms but a Thal minor may never be that. You may however feel fine at 10.5-11gms you will just not be a super sports hero… The kids will have different baselines.

HEMOGLOBIN DATA
    The normal ranges for hemoglobin depend on the age and, beginning in adolescence, the sex of the person. The normal ranges are:

• Newborns: 17-22 gm/dl
  • One (1) week of age: 15-20 gm/dl
  • One (1) month of age: 11-15gm/dl
  • Children: 11-13 gm/dl
  • Adult males: 14-18 gm/dl
  • Adult women: 12-16 gm/dl
  • Men after middle age: 12.4-14.9 gm/dl
  • Women after middle age: 11.7-13.8 gm/dl

You should also be measuring your BLOOD PRESSURE and you should be recording what it is when you feel good and when you’re not for comparison. I will elaborate on this in a different thread sometime.

DIET & NUTRITION (not for Thal major!):
If you adrenals are functioning well, your hemoglobin seems normal and you are not iron deficient, it is time to revise your diet before thinking it is something more extreme that fatigues you besides of course life being hard and demanding. There are different types of fatigue and LETHARGY is not real fatigue. If you just want to sleep for days, especially after eating, something is wrong!

You need to make sure that you eat a balanced diet even if that means that you gain a couple more pounds. Once you get stronger, a moderate workout or increase in activities will help you shed the pounds.

SIMPLE vs. COMPLEX CARBS
Try to eat like a diabetic because you may also be sensitive to sugar. Eliminate refined SUGAR from your home. Bake with honey or sucanat. Eliminate simple carbohydrates: eat whole wheat pasta, brown rice, fiber-rich food. Read the labels because these days companies add corn syrup even to bread! It is ridiculous! Eat more FIBER from fruits and vegetables and if you are a chocoholic like me, switch to a 60% cocoa or higher dark chocolate. If you keep yourself away from refined sugar, then, having some once in a while won’t make you crash. You can also test for insulin resistance and/or GTT (http://www.labtestsonline.org/under…ucose/test.html). In my family, most members with Thal minor also have issues with sugar.

You may benefit from a new cookbook such as “The Good Carb Cookbook” (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A…0771163-6294219).

SUGAR SUBSTITUTES
Most alternative sugar substances such as saccharin and sucralose are quite bad for you. They are addictive, chemistry altering and may cause cancer in the long-term. Maltitol use is very popular these days because of the Atkins diet and is deemed safe (just a tad laxative) but I would be weary. If you can’t help yourself, have the real thing: try some maple syrup…

SODIUM
You may benefit from a little more SALT in your diet. Try sea salt: it is lower in sodium than other salt and is a great addition to food. If your BLOOD PRESSURE is low, try a glass of V8 tomato juice. Also keep a little bag of salted nuts around in case you start fading. Everyone should have a handful of nuts everyday. Eating sugar when you are fading is not a good idea!

PROTEIN & IRON
If you are vegetarian, you need to find a way to get protein in your diet. SOY can work if your intestines can handle it. Too much soy may DEPLETE your body of other nutrients such as iron so beware.

You can also buy protein in tablets from health food stores. Eating dairy will help. Try feta cheese, farmer’s cheese, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese. Some folks from the Mediterranean region may also be allergic to COW DAIRY but are ok with goat/sheep dairy. Adjust your diet accordingly. Dairy sensitivities vary from allergies to intolerance and sometimes you may be allergic to all lactose, other times just to cow protein. Trial and error…

For iron, not all beans and lentils were created equal: red lentils seem to rank the highest in the legume department while spinach really isn’t that rich in iron (cartoon myth). A complete source of iron-rich foods can be found at: http://www.bloodbook.com/iron-foods.html. If you are iron deficient, avoid caffeine within a few hours of your meal and add vitamin C rich foods as a pair to iron-rich foods to enhance absorption. Too much calcium will also hamper iron absorption.

If you are not vegetarian, liver and rare-cooked red meat is your best bet. Pair with steamed/broiled vegetables or salad (skip the croutons!) and it is a winner. For plain protein, good old chicken breast is a good bet. Mind you that thal minors seem to have naturally low CHOLESTEROL so as long as you are not consuming a block of butter daily, you’ll do fine on a red meat diet…Have meat 3-4 times per week and pair only with vegetables or a salad with mixed greens, avocados and a few nuts.

Adding seafood to your diet twice a week adds lean protein and other key nutrients to your diet. Avoid eating farm-raised fish and really large fish too often because they may have a high concentration of pollutants. Try one to two oily fish servings per week, such as salmon for omega-3 nutrients.

WOMEN & ATHLETES
You may need more iron and/or protein if you are an athlete, if you are pregrant or if you are menstruating.

FATS
Not all fats are bad and you need good fats to absorb and process nutrients. Avoid trans-fats and too many saturated fats. Use olive oil for cooking instead of any other oils because it degrades better. Forget deep frying and don’t cook food with butter. You can use some for baking. If your baked goods lack moisture, try using apple sauce or a thick yogurt. Use some butter in baking and sub the rest. Also note that a high quality butter in my opinion is better than some margarine substitutes. If you are going to use something, go for the real stuff, whatever that is and use in moderation.

CHILDREN
Kid’s foods are increasingly high in refined sugars, bad fats and additives which makes for a cranky, unhealthy child. Don’t succumb to packaged lunches and keep finding ways to make sure your kids eat a balanced meal. Reward them with the least harmful junk food if they do their best to eat healthy. You will be able to trick them into better junk food eventually and at some point they will be turned off by junk food.

WATER+
One more note: electrolytes! Just water isn’t enough sometimes. One large glass of water enriched with electrolytes is a good way to start the day. Caffeine in the long term causes fatigue. So skip it or try some low caffeine teas to trick your system…Gatorade when you work out is allowed despite the sugar because you will use it right away. Have some in the beginning of your work out and the middle and finish with water and protein to feed your muscles.

Young coconut water is great for hydration. Availability varies from country to country. Young coconut water is almost clear (not to be confused with mature coconuts) and is rich in electrolytes. You can scrape and eat the meat too but it is a little high in saturated fat. I have also tried Zico water. It isn’t like the real thing in taste and takes some getting used to. Having it very chilled helps.

If you can’t find young coconut in an Asian supermarket or Whole Foods, try: http://www.youngcoconuts.com/index.htm

BREAKFAST, DINNER, LUNCH?
Many serials and breakfast foods (including serial bars) are high in sugar and full of useless additives and preservatives. Look for the lowest-sugar serial in the market that has the most vitamins and fiber. If you have the time, make your own. Scottish or Irish cut (not instant) oatmeal with soy milk, fresh or dried berries and some maple syrup and butter will take you further in your day than most serial foods out there. It sticks to your ribs! And have one strip of bacon or one small sausage to get a little salt and protein but not more than that.

Two poached eggs with rye bread are a also good way to start the day and beat the mid-day crash. If you crave some carbs, have a high-fiber and protein muffin, sometimes dubbed fiber cakes. Home made are best…

If you are truly on the run, grab a “Pria” brand bar. You won’t crash too hard from it. Buy a few different brands and types and experiment. Some stores carry less famous brands that are very good for you. Read the labels NOT the advertising…

If you eat a big breakfast late, you may skip a big lunch and just have some yogurt with nuts and berries or a salad. Dinner for many of us is the biggest meal of the day. Research on when it is best to eat what is always conflicting and changing.

Recent data shows that eating late may not be that bad for you, depending on what you eat. Eating your protein early in the day and your carbs in the evening has been suggested because carbs help you sleep whereas a big steak for dinner may keep you up digesting it or may make you sleep with unrest. You will know what works for you if you pay attention to your vitals and patterns. In general, protein promotes fullness which will keep you from snacking on junk but a complete lack of carbs won’t make you feel satisfied. Combining the protein with some complex carbs will do the trick most of the time.

The most important thing is to make sure you eat a little bit of everything and to not wait until you are starving.

CONCLUSION
The key here is VARIETY and MODERATION. No one food will solve all your problems but be aware of what you are eating!

You can ask me for more, including recipes!

——-
References/Sources
Article submitted by our member: Marientina

Please always consult your Physician and/or Dietition for
i) health information on Thalassemia Minor and nutrition questions
ii) before making any change to your existing diet pattern.

Discuss: No Comments »
Categories
Thalassemia (Major) Management
Thalassemia Minor
News Briefs
Thalassemia Awareness
Health Issues
Iron Chelation
Events and Fundraisers
Research Papers
Search

Thalforum Navigation
ARTICLES & NEWS HOME
DISCUSSION FORUMS
THALFORUM HOME
Meta
RSS 2.0
Atom
Thalassemia News, Information and Discussion Website
All information on Thalforum.ca is for educational purposes only and is not intended to substitute for informed medical advice. You should not use this information to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease without consulting a qualified health care provider. Thalforum administrators and moderators strongly encourages you to consult your health care provider with any questions or concerns you may have regarding your condition.
®© All Rights Reserved | Thalforum.ca | 2004-2005 | Read Disclaimer | Privacy Policy

XHTML · CSS
ttp/www.Thalforum.ca/

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2007, 02:33:39 AM »
I would like to stress that you should be diagnosed as having iron deficiency anemia before adopting a high iron diet. Thal majors and especially intermedias should follow a low iron diet and try to avoid eating large quantities of foods containing heme iron, which is far more readily absorbed than the non-heme iron found in non-animal foods. Red meat is very high in heme iron. Thal minors should verify that they are iron deficient before deciding to follow a high iron diet. This can be done through iron studies. It cannot be diagnosed by hemoglobin levels or hematocrit, even though many doctors make this mistake. Most thal minors are erroneously diagnosed as iron deficient when the doctors do not understand thal. Some do prove to be iron deficient but this is definitely a minority. Iron studies are a must. The damage that excess iron does to the organs is well known, but the dangers go beyond that. Bacteria and viruses thrive in a high iron environment, and the reason IP6 has been studied in regards to iron chelation is because cancer thrive in cells that are iron rich and researchers are looking for ways to inhibit the action of iron in the cells. At some level, iron goes from being a necessary nutrient to becoming a poison to the body.

I would also like to address the topic of vegetarian diet. Humans do not need meat to survive and my 5 healthy children are a testimony to that. Children grow fine on a vegetarian diet. One son is 6' 3" and another is a star baseball pitcher in little league. However, you need to know what you are doing if you follow a vegetarian diet. Beans and legumes by themselves are not complete protein. Vegetable products do not contain complete proteins, but rather contain amino acids that combine with each other in the body to produce protein. Beans and other legumes must be eaten along with complimentary foods, such as grains, to turn amino acids into proteins. if you get a lot of dairy, you may get sufficient protein but if you rely mostly or entirely on vegetable products, you need to understand the concept of combining foods that compliment each other. When I first became a vegetarian many years ago, the book I learned from was "Diet for a Small Planet". It is loaded with info about how and what to combine and also many vegetarian recipes. Vegetarians also need to make sure they have a source of vitamin B12. If you use eggs or dairy, you can get plenty of B12 but if you are vegan, you need to have a regular source, such as fortified cereals, nutritional yeast, or a vitamin supplement.

I agree that whole foods should be preferred over processed, as they contain far more nutrition and are also more easily digested. Refined sugar and refined flour have very little nutritional value and should be avoided as much as possible. Thal minor through major create a demand for high nutrition and those trying to achieve good health should keep this in mind.

Interestingly, my doctor says eat carbs early in the day and proteins at dinner, along with veggies. I think every new study will say something different. Eat sensibly and do not overeat. Eat a balanced diet including plenty of fruits and vegetables.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline EMommy

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2007, 02:25:34 AM »
Have you considered vertigo?  Being dizzy and having fatigue sounds like some of the symptoms of vertigo that can be very detrimental to working.

Of course, diet, nutrition, exercise and your overall health are very important.  It is so interesting how doctors often need to be educated themselves regarding particular diseases.  I have found that there are few doctors here in the US familiar with Thalassemia.  It is very frustrating, but I guess part of our plight is to help educate doctors and others.

I hope you get to feeling better!
Blessings,
Rebecca
Mom to 4- Two Beta Thal Major (chosen)

Offline Cath_07

• Beta Thalassemia Minor
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2007, 04:00:55 PM »
Hi Kathy,  :kiss Thanks so much my friend for sharing these useful information.  Now I realise why I don't feel so good after taking coffee/tea after meal.  I like to have coffee or green tea/chinese tea especially after lunch.  I don't like sugar and sweet food, so no problem for me.  Just wondering why we minors need to take electrolytes and more salt and more water. We dehydrate faster and why so?

Hi Andy,  THANK YOU for your advice.  I see you have been a great source of help to us all.  My hematologist said my Iron is below normal.  He told me to take more meat in my diet.  Sometimes I get tired of eating meat.  Your tips on vegetarian diet is useful. I know we have to be careful of our iron intake if we are not iron deficiency.  My iron is at 34.9.  Is iron supplement not recommended for BTM with iron deficiency like my case.

Hi EMommy, Thank you for your concern.  I hope you are well.  You mentioned VERTIGO, now I am curious.  What is VERTIGO?  I have no idea.

Take care & God bless, Cath
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 04:28:13 PM by Cath_07 »

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2007, 05:56:05 PM »
Hi Cath,

Vertigo is dizziness (feeling as if the world is spinning around us). It is often accompanied by nausea in some cases.
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2007, 10:31:50 PM »
Hi Cath,

Thal minors can also be iron deficient just as anyone else can be low in iron. However, because iron can build up to toxic levels, it is always necessary for a minor to verify iron deficiency before starting on iron supplementation, in order to make sure that this is the problem. Your ferritin is on the low side but not out of range, so you may be able to correct it through diet alone. Make sure you take some citrus or vitamin C with your meals as this will aid iron absorption. Also, have your tea or coffee in between meals so they don't interfere with absorption of iron. If you do any baking, wheat germ is a good addition as it is high in iron and is easily added to any recipe calling for flour. Substitute wheat germ for part of the flour, but use twice as much wheat germ as the flour you are replacing. For example, if you replace 1/4 cup of flour, use 1/2 cup wheat germ as the replacement.

Diet is preferable to iron supplements, as iron is often hard on the digestive system, so try that route first if you can. You can see a list fo rion ruch foods at http://www.mcgill.ca/studenthealth/information/nutritionalhealth/ironrich/
What are some examples of iron-rich foods? (Conversions: 250 ml = 1 cup; 15 ml = 1 tablespoon)

DRIED BEANS AND PEAS
Lentils, cooked, drained 250 ml, 3.3 mg
Lima beans, cooked, drained 250 ml, 4.6 mg
Red kidney beans, cooked, drained 250 ml, 4.3 mg
Soya beans 250 ml, 4.3 mg
Split peas 250 ml, 4.5 mg

VEGETABLES
Asparagus, canned, drained 250 ml, 2.5 mg
Green peas 250 ml, 3.0 mg
Peppers, hot, red, dried, powder 15 ml, 2.3 mg
Spinach, canned, drained 250 ml, 5.0 mg
Spinach cooked 250 ml, 4.2 mg
Tomato juice 250 ml, 2.3 mg

FRUITS
Apricots, dried, uncooked 15 ml, 0.9 mg
Peaches, dried, uncooked 250 ml, 10.1 mg
Dates, pitted, cut 250 ml, 5.3 mg
Prune juice 250 ml, 11.0 mg

BREAKFAST CEREALS
All Bran 200 ml, 4.3 mg
Bran Flakes (raisins) 200 ml, 5.0 mg
Corn, puffed (presweetened) 200 ml, 4.2 mg
Farina (cream of wheat) 125 ml, 7.9 mg
Oats, puffed, with or without corn
(e.g. Cheerios) 250 ml, 9.2 mg
Oats, puffed (e.g. Alphabets) 250 ml, 6.2 mg
Rice Krispies 250 ml, 2.3 mg
Wheat flakes (e.g. Pep, Grapenuts) 200 ml, 6.4 mg
Wheat, puffed (e.g. Sugar Crisp) 250 ml, 6.3 mg
Whole wheat (e.g. Shreddies) 250 ml, 6.3 mg

NUTS
Almonds, shelled whole 125 ml, 4.0 mg
Brazil nuts 125 ml, 2.3 mg
Cashews, roasted 125 ml, 2.8 mg

PORK
Ham, lean and fat, roasted, 6 mm thick 2 slices, 2.7 mg
Pork chop, thick, with bone, lean and fat 1 chop, 1.9 mg

BEEF
Corned beef hash with potato 8 oz., 4.6 mg
Corned beef, medium fat 2 slices, 1.9 mg
Ground beef, broiled, medium fat 250 ml, 2.9 mg
Steak, broiled, lean only 1 piece, 3.4 mg

POULTRY
Chicken, white meat 76 g, 1.3 mg
Chicken, dark meat 90 g, 1.5 mg
Turkey 90 g, 1.6 mg

LIVER AND KIDNEY
Beef kidney (8 cm x 6 cm x 8 cm) 3 slices, 11.8 mg
Beef liver, fried 3 oz., 8.0 mg
Calf liver, fried 3 slices, 13.0 mg
Chicken liver, fried 3 medium, 7.7 mg
Pork kidney 3 slices, 7.2 mg
Pork liver 3 slices, 7.2 mg

FISH AND SHELLFISH
Clams, canned, drained 1 can, 5.5 mg
Lake trout, broiled or baked 90 g, 4.5 mg
Sardines, canned in oil 7 medium, 2.5 mg
Scallops 6 pieces, 3.0 mg
Tuna, canned, drained 90 g, 1.7 mg

COMBINED DISHES
Beans, white, dry, canned, with tomato sauce 250 ml, 4.9 mg
Beans, white, dry, canned, with wieners 250 ml, 5.0 mg
Beef pot pie, baked (10 cm) 1 pie, 4.1 mg
Cabbage rolls with meat 2 rolls, 2.1 mg
Chili con carne, with canned beans 250 ml, 4.5 mg
Chili con carne, without beans 250 ml, 3.8 mg
Poultry pot pie (10 cm) 1 pie, 3.0 mg
Spaghetti with meat balls and tomato sauce 250 ml, 3.9 mg

SEEDS
Pumpkin/squash seeds 125 ml, 6.5 mg
Sunflower seeds 125 ml, 4.1 mg

ODDS AND ENDS
All purpose flour 250 ml, 3.2 mg
Brewer’s dry yeast 15 ml, 1.4 mg
Brown’s sugar, packed 250 ml, 7.9 mg
Egg 1 egg, 1.1 mg
Egg noodles 250 ml, 2.7 mg
Instant breakfast with milk 1 pack, 5.0 mg
Molasses, cane, light 15 ml, 0.9 mg
Molasses, cane, blackstrap 250 ml, 3.2 mg
Pasta, enriched 250 ml, 2.4 mg
Split pea soup 250 ml, 1.5 mg
Whole wheat flour 250 ml, 3.8 mg
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Cath_07

• Beta Thalassemia Minor
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2007, 05:31:43 AM »
Hi Sarjit, thank you for explaining vertigo! I have experience when I'm standing stilll, I thought the building is swaying.  Later I found out it's me, not the building.  I am not sure if it's vertigo.  I wish you well.

Hi Andy,  THANK YOU for your advice on the iron intake.  I have been taking chinese herbs with red dates and boxthorn which is high in iron in the form of soup slow-cooked with chicken.  I believe in taking natural food. Only thing which I really lack is fruits which I seldom eat.  I am picky and not so balanced and I know I have to change for the better.  I AM TRULY BLESSED TO BE PART OF THIS SITE!   

Lately, have been experiencing weakness and pain at my knees and legs.  It's like after finishing a marathon.  I look young but I feel old. :rotfl Despite this, yesterday, I practice dancing for 3 hours which I shouldn't but got carried away and I know I have to stop when my legs got crampy and too numb.  OK I have gone overboard.  Most of the time I deny I have problem and go against the odds and advice by the Cardiologist to stick to 45mins of exercise per day.  This morning when I was still in bed I have mild pain on my left side of the chest.  I have this similar mild pain before but not often. Have I stressed up my heart?  ??? I don't know.  Maybe it's just the same type of pain I felt in other areas of my body especially my limbs.  Before I got to know this site,  I thought I have heart problem, but the Cardiologist said my heart is normal.  I also noticed that I became dizzy and weak when I was really hectic and stressed at work like yesterday.  Also I noticed that I could not wait longer if I need to eat. I will turn pale, lightheaded and faintish.  I am taking note of my condition and have my daily record.  I am my own doctor now!  Learning through sharing from all of you!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk