Hi I am new

• 6 Replies

Offline sibby

Hi I am new
« on: March 20, 2006, 11:54:10 PM »
Hi I am new to this group and  I am so glad that there is a online support system for thalassemia. I have Minor Aplpha Thal. It has been hard to live with being so tired but this year has been the best and I feel more energetic I do have my bad days though where i just have not energy at all especially for us girls who have to loose blood every month when we get our monthly. I am a young married student from Canada. I would like to be a helpful and supportive member of this group and be able to talk to people who can relate to the same struggles that I have to go through with thal.
Take care everyone i look forward to talking with you all!
-Priscilla

Re: Hi I am new
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 03:34:03 AM »
Hi Priscilla
Welcome to the group. This is a great site. My wife has Thal intermedia and we have had our share of good and bad days.

Talk to you soon.
Bharat

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 11:06:00 PM »
Hello!Bharat,My brother is 27,and has a proposal to marry a girl who has minor thalassemia?What do you advise
Sand77

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 12:04:40 AM »
Does your brother carry the thalassemia trait? That is the most important question.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Narendra

Marriage and Thal(Minor)
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 06:35:36 PM »
While looking for a match for marriage, if one person is Thalassemia(Carrier) and the other is NOT, there should be no problems. The only thing which you should make sure is that both are NOT Thal(Minor) - which might lead to a situation in future, they might end up with a kid who is a  Thalassemia(Major) - Which is bad.

Remember, Thal(Minor) is NOT a disease. It's just a gene which can be passed on to the next generation. Like one gene decides what color hair the baby might have, the other decides what skin type will the baby have. Similarly, Chromosome # 11 and # 16 decides if the baby will have normal globin producing gene or a defective one(in case both parents are Thal{Minor})

If you brother is NOT a Thal(Minor) - do NOT worry about your brother's to-be-wife having Thal(Minor). The only thing that can happen{worst scenario - is that the kids might be Thal{Minor} - which you again want to make sure when their age comes and when they get married - that they do NOT marry a Thal(Minor)

I would also ask the girls side of family to be screened, if there are any more Thal(Carrier) in their family. So, that they can prevent a marriage between two Thal(Minor)'s

-nb

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 09:23:34 PM »
Hi Sandhya

nb has answered your question better than I could have and Andy has stated, the most important question is "does you brother carry the Thal trait". Even if your brother does not have any symptoms it is highly advisable to get tested.. If he does not then there should be no problems.

Best
Bharat

Offline sibby

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 11:28:53 PM »
I agree with Andy too make sure that your brother does not also have thal too. As for me my husband does not have thal so we do not have to worry and He is also very understanding and helps me around the house alot because he knows I get tired and anemic and he makes sure I get rest and don't over do it. I have to say thank you to my husband and all the other husbands out there who are so supportive and comforting to thier wives who have thal. You guys are the nights in shining armer for us!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk