Heart Palpitation

• 8 Replies
Heart Palpitation
« on: January 02, 2008, 07:46:41 PM »
Hello Friends,

This topic concerns myself. Lately, I have been experiencing heart palpitations occasionaly during the night time. I also feel pain on the left side of my chest and (its not sharp but dull) that goes away after some time. I have checked with the Cardiologist but he didn't found anything with my heart except I have a minor heart murmur. My HB was fine last time I checked in November 2007, I think it was around 14g/dl.

I was thinking if these symptoms may be due to Thal Minor as we progress in age. If its not thal related than I may have to check other reasons for it.

Thanks for your replies.
Regards.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Heart Palpitation
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 07:57:21 PM »
Lisa's doctor prescribed calcium with magnesium for heart palpitations. This is based on the fact that there are two sides to each heart beat, one electrical charge regulated by calcium and one by magnesium. They need to be taken together for optimum effect on the heart. Many people take calcium without magnesium and this can lead to an imbalance. You can easily find preparations that combine the two. Suggested is 1000 mg calcium with 500 mg magnesium daily. Vitamin D also helps as it aids in calcium absorption. D also offers much benefit for we who live in northern climates. You might try this for awhile and see if it has any effect on the palps.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 08:38:08 PM »
Andy, thanks for your reply.

I think it makes sense to use Calcium and Magnesium (supplemented by Vitamin D) as you described. I will buy something today and see how it effects the palpitations.

Regards.

Regards.

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 11:08:51 PM »
Canadian_Family:

I don't know if this helps but....

I am 25 and I have heart palpatations. About 3 years ago I was about to graduate from colleg and had started my first job and was havin what I thought were panic attacks from all the stress. I finally went to the doctor and was told that they thought it was heart palpatations because my chest was feelng heavy and I thought my heart was stopping. Anyway, they had me wear a holter for 2 days and then they did and echo and an ultrasound type procedure.  They said I have PVCs and there was nothing they could do.

I think I should note that my doctors are idiots and I can't find a single doctor in the tristate area that considers my Thalassemia to be a part of the millions of things that are wrong with me.

I hope that helps...I guess what I am saying is I have Minor too and I have palpatations too.

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 12:12:37 AM »
Expecting #2, Thanks for your reply. Indeed, thalassemia minor is downplayed by most of the doctors and the problems associated with this condition are overlooked.

By the way, what is PVC?

Regards 
Regards.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 12:51:39 AM »
PVC stands for premature ventricular contractions.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/premature-ventricular-contractions/DS00949

Premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) are extra, abnormal heartbeats that begin in one of your heart's two lower pumping chambers (ventricles). These extra beats disrupt your regular heart rhythm, which normally starts in the upper right chamber (atrium). As a result, you may feel a flip-flop or skipped beat in your chest. Premature ventricular contractions are very common — they occur in most people at some point.

Premature ventricular contractions are also called:

* Premature ventricular complexes
    * PVCs
    * Ventricular premature beats
    * Ectopic heartbeats
    * Extrasystoles

Most people who have premature ventricular contractions don't need treatment. If you have occasional extra beats but you are an otherwise healthy person, there's generally no reason for concern and no treatment needed.

If you have frequent symptoms or you have underlying heart disease, you may need treatment to help you feel better and treat underlying heart problems.
Signs and symptoms

Premature ventricular contractions often cause no symptoms. But you may feel an odd sensation in your chest, such as:

* Flip-flops
    * Fluttering
    * Pounding or jumping
    * Skipped beats or missed beats
    * Increased awareness of your heartbeat
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 02:27:40 PM »
Thanks Andy,

This explanation sounds very familiar. I do feel pounding, increased awareness of heartbeat and fluttering sometimes. Although I was never told I had PVC.

Regards
Regards.

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 12:41:48 AM »
I also have tachycardia or an increased heart rate, do you ever feel like your heart is racing?

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 02:27:58 PM »
On a normal routine I would not feel my heart racing but a sudden episode of missed beat,  increased awareness of heartbeat, fluttering or a sudden urge of deep breath that last for few minutes. I passed my stress test by okay margin and my Echo revealed the heart murmur.

However, in December 2005 I was caught with high rate of heart beat during a normal routine checkup. I was referred to the hospital and was on heart monitor for 6 hours, the conclusion was increased heart rate due to stress and flu.

Regards.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk