Exjade Finally

• 7 Replies
Exjade Finally
« on: January 23, 2008, 06:44:46 PM »
Hi,

We have finally got a call from Norvatis that they are shipping the Exjade to us. It was a long process, we and the hospital had to provide them with tons of information/paperwork. The dosage is one tablet a day in apple or orange juice half hour before Breakfast. My insurance is covering 80% and the tab on us is 20% which to my knowledge is approx $110 a month. So I guess total cost is $550 per month. I am totally stumped at the price and wonder what length the cost of adult dosage can go upto, this is not acceptable but Novartis is reaping the profit.

We are keeping our fingers crossed as my daughter is undergoing another ear/eye and Kidney test next week.

Regards.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Exjade Finally
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 06:58:28 PM »
The typical charge for a month supply of Exjade for an adult in the US is at least $3500...per month! Most patients have this covered by insurance with a small co-pay. The price is ridiculous and I wonder how the "perceived value of the life of the patient" is used in calculating the selling price. Meanwhile, deferiprone (L1) which is recommended to be used in combination with desferal as the most effective chelating method, is not even legal in the US or Canada. In light of the fact that thal doctors almost universally accept L1 as a quality chelator, it is completely unacceptable that L1 is illegal.

Best wishes using Exjade. I hope your daughter can avoid problems with this chelator.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 11:09:42 PM »
Congratulations Canadian Family, hope it works best for your daughter

Manal

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 07:18:07 PM »
Thanks Andy and Manal.
Regards.

Offline vic

• thal minor with sickle cell child
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 10:34:17 AM »
good luck with the new chelator.  we are waiting for christian to turn 6 and then he too will take exjade.  keep us posted on the initial stages, such as rashes, other side effects so i know what to look out for.  also let us know whether your child goes through any emotional changes- tablet compared to needle?

cheers vic

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 10:44:15 AM »
:congrats

Great news C.F.

I hope it proves harmless than Desferal in terms of side effects for your baby. But the good news is that she won't be facing the needles anymore.

I hope you get it 100% covered somehow.

Wishing you all the best.
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 05:08:59 PM »
Good luck with exjade  :thumbsup

ZAINI.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Hope

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 05:24:24 PM »
Hi canadian Family,

I am soo glad to hear that your daughter will start exjade. How old is your daughter? Please keep us posted as to how she feels about exjade and what dosage she is starting with and any side effects (hope not). Good Luck!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk