New alcohol swabs with anesthetic!

• 11 Replies

Offline Danielle

• Beta Thal Major
New alcohol swabs with anesthetic!
« on: January 11, 2008, 09:44:12 AM »
Recently, a friend of mine with Thalassemia told me about these new alcohol swabs that are over the counter, that have a mild anesthetic in them, and they are GREAT!  The only place that I know of that has them so far is CVS pharmacy, but if I find them anywhere else I will let you guys know.  I wish they had these a long time ago!  They work so well!  They are regular alcohol swabs, but they gently numb the surface of the skin, so that the normally painful stick of the needle is bearable.  They are safe and can be used every day. They also work immediately, unlike EMLA which takes a while.  If you guys see these anywhere, make sure you pick them up and try them!   :happyyes

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
Re: New alcohol swabs with anesthetic!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 11:28:24 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for letting us know.

Why didn't they think of it earlier ???

Anyway, it really does sound very useful especially for the little ones who move a lot right at the time of the prick.

Do you know which brand they come in or what are they called (anesthetic swabs etc?)
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Lyanne

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 02:19:15 PM »

Hi! that's great! I also hope it would be available soon here in our country. Wished they've thought of that long time ago........ thanx for sharing with us that Danielle........
LYANNE :yahoo

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 04:10:14 PM »
This is really a great product, most people find it cumbersome to put EMLA an hour before starting the pump and its expensive also.

On the other hand, I know using Alcohol swab cleans the surface before the needle, is there any other benefit of usng the alcohol swab?? How well alcohol cleans the surface that is another question I have??

Thanks

Regards.

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 04:56:39 PM »
Hi C.F,

Alcohol is anti-septic and kills live bacteria present on the skin that might get injected if not cleaned(killed) by alcohol.
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 05:20:44 PM »
These swabs are marketed as a relief from insect bites and stings but can also be used prior to injection. They can be found at many drug stores. Shown below is the very inexpensive CVS barnd. This is an excellent idea. Please keep in mind that alcohol is flammable so keep them away from any open flame.

CVS Alcohol Prep Swabs With Pain Relief

http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/cvs/gateway/detail?prodid=422045&previousURI=/CVSApp/cvs/gateway/search?ActiveCat=499^Query=benzocaine+swab^Click+to+go+to+search+results..x=0^Click+to+go+to+search+results..y=0^Click+to+go+to+search+results.=submit
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline hippievamp

• taken on my 30th
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 01:28:31 AM »
wow they sound too good t be true!!!!!! I would like to get them to take with me to the lab and for my port sticks on transfussion days.  I wonder how long it will take us to convince ourfacilities that we each use to start useing these?

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 01:38:52 AM »
Maybe you can get a box at CVS before your next appointment and take them with you and show them to the nurse. It may be all it will take to get them to use the swabs.
Andy

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 05:14:32 AM »
Do these work as well as emla?

Offline KHALIFA

• ONE FOR ALL AND ALL FOR ONE
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008, 06:53:50 PM »
 :huh hmm  can you please tell us what the name of the company and thename of the product..
          thank you
                                                        khalifa
                                                 state of kuwait
                                           one for all and all for one
RED_PILOT

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2008, 07:30:54 PM »
I previously listed a link for one brand. There are several companies that make alcohol swabs with benzocaine, but these are the cheapest price I have found.

http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/cvs/gateway/detail?prodid=422045&previousURI=/CVSApp/cvs/gateway/search?ActiveCat=499
Andy

Offline Danielle

• Beta Thal Major
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 07:52:06 PM »
The ones that Andy gave the link to, are the ones that I had bought.  Honestly, I do not recommend them for port sticks, as these swabs do not work as well as EMLA.  I would only recommend them for the pump or other quick injections.  I've had a few ports in the past, so I know how painful that stick can be, so I definitely wouldn't recommend forgoing the EMLA for the alcohol swab when it comes to that. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk