Two questions

• 2 Replies

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
Two questions
« on: January 22, 2008, 09:21:06 PM »
Hi

I heard that vitamin C is broken and is no more useful if you heat it. I mean if lemon juice is heated or used in cooking , vitamin C is broken. Is this true??

My second question is that, has anybody got any idea what to do for super cold legs(from knees to toes, actually i  don't feel them) rather than a heater. After 20 or more years of using a direct air heater on my legs each day in winter, i feel that the skin of the back of my legs has red and white patches . I guess that is from the heater. I tried every thing and nothing works but the heater. May be some one has other ideas??

Manal

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Two questions
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 09:39:30 PM »
Vitamin C can be destroyed by heat so the best sources are raw foods or supplements.

http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/vitamins/pages/vitaminc/sample8.html

Vitamin C is found in a wide spectrum of popular foods, but occurs most commonly in citrus fruits such as lemons, limes, and grapefruits, as well as tomatoes. The sugar-like vitamin easily oxidizes in air and is sensitive to both light and heat. Ascorbic acid is a relatively fragile molecule and may be lost from foods during preparation, cooking, and/or storage. In spite of the fact that vitamin C is easily destroyed, it has the ability to preserve foods by virtue of its role as a reducing agent. Leafy greens such as collards, spinach, and turnip greens are good sources of needed vitamin C in either raw or cooked forms. Most foods, however, yield maximum amounts of ascorbic acid when eaten raw or minimally cooked. Other good food sources of vitamin C include rosehips, strawberries, watercress, papaya, and mangos. Potatoes and green vegetables such as broccoli, brussel sprouts, and cabbage also provide this essential nutrient. In addition to natural sources, vitamin C may be obtained in synthetic derivatives of glucose. Supplemental forms include tablets, capsules, powdered crystalline, and liquid forms.

Have you tried wearing warm knee high socks? A skin lotion may also help with the raw skin as will aloe vera.

Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
Re: Two questions
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 09:56:06 PM »
Thanks Andy for the reply. So i guess i can heat the orange juice when Ahmad sometimes insists of drinking it after the meal. Though i taught him that he is not allowed to drink anything with the letter ''C'' but sometimes he is stubborn.

Actually i tried these socks after putting my legs in warm water, but it was of no good becuse 15 minutes they get cold again.  The problem is that i don't keep the heat. Once i am away from the hot source like the heater , they get frozen once more.

Thanks for the advice

Manal

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk