Exjade in India

• 64 Replies

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
Re: Exjade in India
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2008, 07:01:26 PM »
Hi Andy

This is a really big difference in price,but i have a concern here. Does Cipla for example or any drug company that offers cheaper prices uses the same quality of the active substance in the drug or they just use lower qualities to keep a low price.

Here in my country, sometimes the active material is bought from Russia instead of getting it from France or Switzerland in order to lower the cost and this results in a lower effieincy of the drug.
Even there are some drugs that are impoted from Germany that  are sold here in Egypt which by law are not allowed to use in Germany because the active material is a second or third class so it is just made for the middle east or third world countries ( as if God created third class people who don't have the right to get good quality of medicine when they are sick) . The same drug is sold in Germany is for 120 euros and when send to the middle east it is for 40 euros and the difference is because of difference in quality.

Anyway, i don't want to be subjective but in case of a life saving medicine , i wouldn't mind if it is a second or third class quality because the other option would be not taking it at all

Manal

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2008, 07:22:59 PM »
Cipla sells Kelfer at cost. Their version of Exjade will apparently also be sold at cost. Kelfer is the same drug as Ferriprox. The difference in price can be attributed to two factors. First, Cipla is selling these meds at the cost of production price. Second, and this is a huge factor, Cipla has none of the costs that Novartis or Apotex incurred in developing these drugs. To put it simply, Cipla is "stealing" patented drugs and counterfeiting them. Under international agreements regarding life-saving meds, this is perfectly legal to do. It is not permitted to market these counterfeit drugs outside of the country in which they are produced, hence the previous high price for Kelfer in Pakistan as it had to be smuggled into the country and was sold at extreme prices by black marketeers. Cipla also does not incur the advertising and promotional costs that the other manufacturers do.

The drugs are the same compounds but without all the added costs, Cipla is able to sell the drugs at cost. It really does give some perspective on what some drugs actually cost to produce. One may say, this isn't fair to the creators of the drug, but let me say one thing. Where the hell are the morals of those, including "my" president, who thinks the market should set the prices rather than doing everything possible to make these drugs available to those who need them to stay alive?!!! The drug industry is the most profitable industry on earth. I guess morals can be damned when it comes to a choice between what is morally right and what will make one wealthy.  :noway
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Kathy11

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2008, 11:48:47 PM »
 :clap :clap :clap  To  Cipla.
To hell  with  Novartis or Apotex.At least Cipla is concern and it appears that they are putting Humanuty ahead of profits.Thats how its suppose to be, its about time.
Kathy

Offline namitha

• Drop of Life!
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2008, 11:01:55 AM »
Hi Sajid,

Asunra costs Rs 110 per tablet. A box of 30 tablets costs Rs 3,300. The cost is definitely higher compared to Kelfer.

Another important news that I forgot to mention in the last post is that Cipla is coming out with a generic version of the same drug Asunra. It will cost Rs 25 per tablet. It is yet to be released. My hemato told me it will be available in another 2 months time. This tablet will give a lot of hope to thals who cannot take Kelfer and cannot afford Asunra  :smiley

Let's hope for the best and pray that Cipla comes out with it ASAP. I know so many Thals in Bangalore who were eagerly waiting for Asunra but were stumped when it came to the price  :mad

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.

Max Ehrmann's Desiderata

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2008, 11:19:41 AM »
It's about time another pill came out other than L1.

I really want to switch to one. I've just had it! with the needles. Last night was a horrible experience for me with Desf.

Summer is starting gradually and last night it was somewhat hot and the tapes came off by them self by slight sweating. I woke up feeling some pain and found my shirt all stained with blood till my trouser and the needle almost sticking into the side of my ribs instead of the injection site :-\

I really don't want that to happen again. I just can't wait for the pills to be in my hands  :boredom :impatient :frustrated
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2008, 12:20:12 PM »
Oh My God!!! That was horrible Sajid  :ohmy :ohmy :ohmy

I am so sorry you had to go through this ordeal  :whyme Don't know what should we do to make our govts understand that forming cabinets and granting portfolios is not enough,they ought to be doing something for us,do you know we don't have any health minister in  our new govt  :hysterical ,how should we go and tell them to  :stopmad this nonsense,stop playing with govt and start taking their responsibilities,huh,i guess there is no way  :sigh just keep praying my brother ,we are all here for you. :empathy.

ZAINI.
^*^Xaini^*^

Kathy11

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2008, 12:27:30 PM »
Sagid,
I am sad to read about the ordeal you went through .I hope things improve for you.
Good luck my friend. :empathy
Much love from
 Kathy

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2008, 02:35:13 PM »

I am sorry for what you passed through Sajid, i hope you are okay now :empathy :console
Manal

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2008, 03:15:52 PM »
:grouphug

Thanks everyone. It's one of the things I hate about Desferal. I used to use the porous type of tape (3M's Transpore) which was great, but now I can't seem to find it anymore and have to use the plain paper type which is not good enough for long periods.
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline namitha

• Drop of Life!
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2008, 11:18:39 AM »
Hi Sajid,

I understand how you feel. That must have been some experience!

I got my Asunra and started on it two days ago. I've not had any side effects (touch wood!). It's a great relief to me now. I no longer have to get poked. I pray that Asunra is available in Pak ASAP.

Take care of yourself. Praying for early release of Asunra.
You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.

Max Ehrmann's Desiderata

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2008, 11:35:10 AM »
 :clap :woot :cheer :yahoo :flowers :jumping :party :yay :congrats :yaaaaaay

That is AWESOME!

If it's in India, then probably we're next!!!

I hope the price issue gets resolved soon for JSF :pray
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2008, 12:20:26 PM »
Hello all,

I am joining after a long break. Infact, I was in Boston (US) for three weeks for work. Now that I am back there is a lot of catching up to do.

First of all, congratulations to friends in Pakistan and India for getting their hands on Asunra. Exjade aka Asunra is a great convenient. I hope everyone benefit from it. The cost is amazing in Pakistan and India. Now that my daughter is taking 375mg everyday, the cost is staggering $1000 per month. I was lucky that it is 80% paid by my insurance but there are many who still can't afford it. The cost is one month mortgage payment for most in Canada. I am assuming it is $2000 or more for adult patients.

Anyways, only two things to report here. One that my daughter is extermly sensitive and sees anxiety episodes frequently due to Exjade. Second the Novartis rep called us to get permission for extra test in case if they are needed. My daughter is under strict observation as she is the first to get Exjade before the age of 6 in Canada. We know in US children as young as two are getting exjade so it not too worrying for us.

Regards.

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2008, 03:17:39 PM »
Hi Canadian Family,

Thanks,

Sajid,

A good news,we went for Zainab's transfusion to day, and doctor at the hospital told me that Asunra is now available  :hi5boys.The cost he told me is amazing,and i am wondering how can Novartis be so generous  :heehee anyways the cost for 400 mg tablet is 200 rupees and for 100 mg tablet it's 50 rupees. :think. Although we are not switching to Asunra right now,as Zainab's ferritin checked day before yesterday was still 1350  :thumbdown a very little change, i want it to be below 1000 before even thinking about Asunra.Well good luck to you. :thumbup

ZAINI.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2008, 03:35:22 PM »
Wow!

It's about time I heard this news. But Zaini, I thought that chelation (especially Exjade/Asunra) is not advised below 1000 S.F. Well, this IS Pakistan and anything can go :biggrin
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2008, 03:44:46 PM »
Nmaitha,

What was the cost for Asunra and what strength are the tabs?
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk