Weird things are happening to me...

• 3 Replies
Weird things are happening to me...
« on: February 18, 2008, 11:07:12 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum. By reading some of your post I feel quite confident you are able to direct me properly. The reason I'm here is that all my life I've been told that my Thal. minor has had no effect on my health or life whatsoever. I'm starting to think that the symptoms I have may be directly related to my Thal. Minor because there are no other health or lifestyle reasons for it. I'm a perfectly healthy mother of three. I don't smoke, I eat fairly healthy and I exercise very frequently. But lately I've notice many changes and consistent physical conditions that are suspect. I would like all of your opinions. Firstly, my joint pain. I feel that my knees are disintegrating. They crack and pop and grind when I bend and use the stairs. Right now I'm sitting cross legged while typing. It will take me up to 45 seconds to be able to put my left knee straight again and be able to walk on it properly.  My hips feel arthritic at times too. I've been losing hair and it seems to be thinning fairly quickly these days and it doesn't seem to be growing back as much as it's falling out. I went to the doctor and she told me to try Nizerol, it helps with dandruff but my hair still falls out. I've been experiencing more frequent acne around my period. I never had pimples when I was a teen, and suddenly I'm Ms. Pimple face. This may have something more to do with hormonal changes but I want to just make a note of it. I call them heart attack hands, my fingers get numb, shrivel and turn white when I get cold. My hands and feet are rarely warm. I also experience headaches and tiredness. I have to be in bed by 11pm or I can't get up the next day on time.  Since August of 07, I've been waking up every night around 4am and I can't get back to sleep right away. This is frustrating. I also think I've had bouts of depression.  Do any of these symptoms point to Thal. Minor, and if so what should I be doing or who should I see. The vitamins and minerals I'm taking are B6 and B12, Omega 3, Vitamin C, Calcium, Potassium, Biotin, Silica, a multi-vitamin . The last time I had my blood checked my iron was low, so I take an iron suppliment once in a while (pale fer) My one son has been tested and he is positive for Thal. minor. I haven't had the other 2 tested yet. Should I be doing anything for him at this stage, he's 11. I'm sorry this is so long winded but I'm hoping someone has some suggestions for me. Thank you. Marie

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
Re: Weird things are happening to me...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 11:17:50 AM »
Hi Marie,

:welcomewagon on the forum, I am a thal minor myself,the problems you are mentioning can and do relate to thal minor,do you know what your current heamoglobin level is ?
I don't know what is causing you joint pain,but what i do know is that if you are taking calcium without vitamin D,your body won't be able to absorb calcium properly.And about falling of hair,have you ever tested your thyroid levels?About heacdaches and tiredness,you'll see many thal minors here complaining about that,including me,and i feel really depressed when mu hb level goes low.I'll advice you to start foilc acid immediately,it will make you feel better ,and i think you can see a heamotologist about your problems,although doctors most of the time are not much concerened about thal minor as you mentioned your self,And plz get both of your sons tested for thal,beacause may be it won't make any difference to them right now,but when they'll grow up and would start a family,they must know that if they are thal minor an their partner also is a thal minor,there will be 25% chance of having a thal major baby.

I know my answers are not satisfying,i think our administrator Andy would be able to help you more.

TAKE CARE,

ZAINI.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 04:57:04 AM »
Hi Marie and welcome,

Almost all of your problems are common among thal minors, although I am not sure that the joint problems are directly related. I agree that your thyroid should be tested, as it seems slow thyroids are common in thal minors. Untreated thyroid illness can cause severe problems, so it does need to be checked.
When you say you tested low for iron, were iron studies run, or was this based on a low hematocrit? Many doctors routinely prescribe iron for thal minor without realizing it won't help. A serum ferritin test should be done before taking iron supplements. Vitamin D may be of some help, as it will aid calcium absorption, and can also lessen seasonal depression.  Calcium should be taken with magnesium and Vitamin D. Has your hemoglobin or hematocrit level been tested? Numbness in the extremities can be related to low blood supply. You might find some help in hemoglobin inducers like wheatgrass tablets or extract and resveratrol. Folic acid should definitely be taken. Check our thread at http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=118.0;highlight=supplementation

If you haven't already been tested, you should be tested for arthritis. This may not be directly related to thal but it might be a product of a low immune system, which is related.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 06:08:42 AM »
Hi Marie!

:welcome to the site!

Wishing you all the best for future.
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site