questions on exjade please help.

• 1 Replies

Offline Alia

questions on exjade please help.
« on: February 24, 2008, 11:07:17 AM »
Hello and salams everyone
sara has started taking exjade she is now 2 years and 5 monthes. today is her thired day. so far i have seen none of the the side effetcts.
please can anyone give me some enfo as iam so worried
1.how long will it take for sara to show any of the side effects?
2.her fritten is over 2000 ,how long will take to go under 100?should i stop giving her exjade once it goese to target ferriten?
3.the color of her poos went green is this normal?
4.i give sara 250g tablet with 20 ml of water on empty stomich first thing in the morning,then i dont give her food for at least 30 minutes,am i doing all this right?
the docter give me some info but she did not explain in dept as sara is her first pationt with thallassemia. please help as iam really worried.
Alia

Re: questions on exjade please help.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 03:17:23 PM »
Hello,

My daughter four and a half year old have just started the Exjade. She is taking same 250 mg with 20ml of water first thing in the morning and takes her breakfast 30 minutes later. We are anticipating the ferritin to go down in about six months. It is very important to continue even after target ferritin is achieved, your doctor can discontinue exjade TEMPORARILY given ferritin goes very low (but that is for the doctor to decide). Please note It is not feasible for ferritin to go down to 100 (as you suggested), the optimal level of ferritin in thalassemia major is recommended to be around 700.

It is also very important that you check her Carintine levels every week, this ensures that her kidney function is fine. If your daughter have not shown any of the typical side effects of Exjade in two weeks than chances are she is fine with the dosage, however, the green poo is not normal, I have not heard this in any patient. Please check with your doctor about the colour of poo.

I initially thought 250 mg was a bit too much to start with but it is all relative to weight of the child and level of ferritin, I am sure your doctor is ok with it.

You are doing all the things right and keep continue with it, if you have any question please post them here and the group will try best to answer it.

Regards.
Regards.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk