EDTA

• 6 Replies

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
EDTA
« on: February 26, 2008, 01:08:46 AM »
Hi

I was searching for some information regarding EDTA (ethylene diamine tetra-acetic acid),in treating heart diseases and got to know that it is a strong metal chelator. Though it chelates some important minerals we need, they are substituted with multivitamin and supplements.
Is it suitable for thal? Could it be used every now and then to chelate big amounts of iron?  It is interesting to know because EDTA sides effects seems nothing compared to other chelators. Any ideas??

http://nccam.nih.gov/news/2002/chelation/q-and-a.htm

What is EDTA chelation therapy?

Chelation is a chemical process in which a substance is used to bind molecules, such as metals or minerals, and hold them tightly so that they can be removed from a system, such as the body. In medicine, chelation has been scientifically proven to rid the body of excess or toxic metals. For example, a person who has lead poisoning may be given chelation therapy in order to bind and remove excess lead from the body before it can cause damage.

In the case of EDTA chelation therapy, the substance that binds and removes metals and minerals is EDTA (ethylene diamine tetra-acetic acid), a synthetic, or man-made, amino acid that is delivered intravenously (through the veins). EDTA was first used in the 1940s for the treatment of heavy metal poisoning. EDTA chelation removes heavy metals and minerals from the blood, such as lead, iron, copper, and calcium, and is approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for use in treating lead poisoning and toxicity from other heavy metals. Although it is not approved by the FDA to treat CAD, some physicians and alternative medicine practitioners have recommended EDTA chelation as a way to treat this disorder.

http://www.cardiorenew.com/questions.php

EDTA chelation will remove the toxic metals as well as the unbound calcium and other minerals. The calcium in your bones, teeth and cells are bound. It's only the metastatic or misplaced, unbound minerals that are removed through EDTA chelation. This unbound calcium is what is responsible for the creation of plaque in our arteries as well as the inflammation causing pain and discomfort in our joints

Manal
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 02:02:57 AM by Manal »

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: EDTA
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 08:11:13 AM »
EDTA is the standard treatment for chelation of lead in lead poisoning. It is also the subject of an ongoing study into its effect on coronary artery disease. Hundreds of thousands of people each year have been going for chelation treatments in hopes of improving heart disease, so the NIH has been studying its effectiveness. There are many claims for its benefits but also much doubt.

From what I have found, the reason EDTA is not used to chelate iron is...

http://www.irondisorders.org/Disorders/about.asp

The type of chelation therapy used to de-iron patients should not be confused with EDTA (ethylenediaminetetra-acetic acid), a method used by some alternative medicine practitioners. EDTA is a broad-spectrum chelator, meaning that it binds with and removes a wide number of minerals, including iron, but it is not specific. In contrast, desferrioxamine and deferiprone, a new oral chelator awaiting FDA approval, are highly specific for iron.

EDTA chelates other minerals and is not specific for iron like desferal, etc., especially zinc.

http://www.sram.org/0101/chelation.html

An added threat of CT (chelation therapy, ie. edta) is that there is evidence that the ascorbate added to CT infusions reduces cations iron and copper to the ferrous and cuprous states, creating more peroxides and hydroxyl radicals in the process. [15] The binding of iron by EDTA leaves two unpaired electrons in the outer orbit, available to react with other substances and creating even more free radical damage.

Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Manal

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 09:47:44 AM »
Waw Andy, you are great. You always know how to get the right information, thanks :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Manal

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 01:05:18 AM »
Manal,

I spent about six hours reading what I could find about EDTA. There are many claims out there but there is a big difference between oral EDTA supplements and the IV therapy that is used in cases of lead poisoning. I ignored the claims and sifted through the articles for the small bits of factual information that is out there concerning EDTA chelation therapy. Obviously, this subject has shown enough for the National Institute of Health to justify a many years study of its effect on the heart. This could prove of special interest to thals if it does prove to be beneficial.

Long before I knew anything about thalassemia, I had heard about chelation therapy, and once I learned of iron overload in thals, I wondered why EDTA wasn't used for thals. The drawbacks have so far proven to be too many. The chelation of other minerals and the possibility of severe drops in blood calcium (two children and one adult are known to have died after EDTA therapy), have limited its usefulness. Perhaps with proper supplementation and monitoring, EDTA may some day prove useful.
Andy

Offline Manal

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 02:05:00 AM »
Hi Andy

The chelation of other minerals and the possibility of severe drops in blood calcium (two children and one adult are known to have died after EDTA therapy),

Was this a result of continous use or just a limited course (where you take EDTA twice a week for one month through IV). Actually i feel annoyed now as my father is thinking of going through this limited course that i mentioned above because he suffers from Coronary artery disease where he has 100% blockage in one part of the artery

Manal

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 02:43:17 AM »
Manal,

Your father is planning on doing what the NIH is investigating, as hundreds of thousands of patients each year are using this therapy. The belief is that the EDTA will chelate the calcium plaque that lines the arteries. One review can be seen at http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2261/5/32

Given the widespread usage of EDTA chelation therapy, an assessment of its safety is crucial. EDTA is responsible for a wide range of potential side effects including gastrointestinal and musculoskeletal complaints, diaphoresis, fever, leukopenia, thrombocytopenia, kidney damage, mineral depletion, and hypocalcemia [19,22-24]. With proper dose control and assessment of kidney function, however, EDTA is not considered to be a particularly high-risk therapy and there is little doubt that it is safer than coronary bypass surgery.

The chief risk is when patients ignore treatment that may help them, in favor of a treatment that has uncertain effects. While EDTA therapy is generally safe, the patient has a responsibility to do EVERYTHING to comply with known treatments that can help.

A report on the deaths of the three patients using EDTA can be seen at http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5508a3.htm

It is believed that in at least two of these cases, the wrong form of EDTA was administered.

A review of medical records in the Texas case described in this report revealed that the brand names for the Na2EDTA product, Endrate® (Hospira, Inc., Lake Forest, Illinois), and the CaEDTA product, Calcium Disodium Versenate® (3M Pharmaceuticals, St. Paul, Minnesota), were used interchangeably; this improper use of drug names likely resulted in the inappropriate administration of Na2EDTA...Medical center records and coroner reports indicate that Na2EDTA was administered in at least two of the cases. Na2EDTA is often part of a standard hospital formulary; however, it should never be used for treating lead or other heavy metal poisoning in children because it induces hypocalcemia, which can lead to tetany and death (7). The error that caused the death in Texas most likely resulted from miscommunication between the pharmacy and the pediatric unit.

I don't think there is any risk to your father from trying this treatment but he should not neglect any other treatment.
Andy

Offline Manal

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 03:43:49 PM »
Thanks Andy for your detailed reply, i feel better now. Actually my father has this blockage from 25 years and when he visited the States the doctors told him nothing should be made except taking asprine, and a medicine that stablizes the blood preasure and avoid high cholestrol food. This issue of EDTA started when he heard from one of the doctors ( but not a cardio doctor) that it can help in clearing that old blockage, so he became interested and is starting to investigate about it.

Again thanks soooooo much

Manal   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk