Green Tea Extract as an Iron Chelator

• 24 Replies

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Green Tea Extract as an Iron Chelator
« on: February 27, 2008, 03:02:40 AM »
Supplementing chelation can be an important part of the treatment regimen for thalassemics. We talk much about the chelating properties of IP6 and the iron absorption inhibiting properties of tea and dairy products, but tea may also have the property of chelating existing iron stores, in addition to preventing iron from being absorbed from food.

From http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16798656

Iron-chelating and free-radical scavenging activities of microwave-processed green tea in iron overload.
Srichairatanakool S, Ounjaijean S, Thephinlap C, Khansuwan U, Phisalpong C, Fucharoen S.

Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Chiang Mai University, Thailand. mdbci@yahoo.com

Secondary iron overload is found in beta-thalassemia (thal) patients because of increased dietary iron absorption and multiple blood transfusions. Excessive iron catalyzes free-radical generation, leading to oxidative damage and vital organ dysfunction. Non-transferrin-bound iron (NTBI) detected in thalassemic plasma is highly toxic and chelatable. Though used to treat iron overload, desferrioxamine (DFO) and deferiprone (L1) also have adverse effects. Green tea (GT) shows many pharmacological effects, particularly antioxidative and iron-chelating capacities. This study was performed to investigate the ability of GT extracts to reduce plasma NTBI concentration and oxidative stress in vitro. The Fe(3+) was found to bind to GT crude extract and form a complex. Green tea crude extract time- and dose-dependently decreased plasma NTBI concentration and counteracted the increase of oxidative stress in both Fe(2+)-EDTA-treated human plasma and erythrocytes. Green tea is a bifunctional natural product that could be relevant for management of iron overload and oxidative stress.

PMID: 16798656 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

I do believe that we are seeing within this group, that IP6 has some real value in supplementing chelation. Add green tea extract to the arsenal. The antioxidant properties of both substances have benefits beyond chelation and should be considered by all patients. Antioxidants are one of the most important substances for reducing the damage done by iron to the cells and the intake should be maximized by thals.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
Re: Green Tea Extract as an Iron Chelator
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 01:20:34 PM »
Hi,

I was also thinking of posting about green tea :) great minds think alike  :rotfl

Last few months were really stress full for me,and apart from them in my norma life i am a very easily depressed kind of person,i suffer from bouts of depression regularly,so in those last months a friend of mine told me that she takes green tea three times a day and it helps her in depression,i was very desperate so i started it thrice a day though i hate the taste,and miraculously it helped me,both with depression and weight loss ,and i take it daily till date.Some times i thought that it was only a psychological effect but when i googled about it i found .

from  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_tea#Potential_effects_of_green_tea_on_health

A study published in the August 22, 2006 edition of Biological Psychology looked at the modification of the stress response via L-Theanine, a chemical found in green tea. It "suggested that the oral intake of L-Theanine could cause anti-stress effects via the inhibition of cortical neuron excitation."[19]

From http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=146

Green Tea and Iron Absorption

Due to their high tannin-content, teas, including green tea, have been shown to prevent iron absorption. While this effect is helpful in persons with too much iron, consuming several cups of green tea daily may not be a good idea for persons deficient in iron or susceptible to iron deficiency.

But it woud be really hard to convince Zainub to drink it , :huh

ZAINI.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline maha

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 05:34:25 AM »
Hi Andy
Is green tea extract any different from green tea? I used to give Hassan decaffeinated tea earlier but when I read that decaffeinated teas have a high level of flouride and could cause flouride poisoning in children I switched to green tea.
MAHA

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 06:13:24 AM »
Green tea extract is made from green tea. It is a more concentrated form of tea, so it's stronger. Drinking the tea is good but the extract has more effect. Either, or both can help lower iron levels. I think supplementing chelating drugs is a good idea. Natural substances like green tea and IP6 penetrate the cells more easily than the drugs and offer benefits at the cellular level that can counter some of the damage iron does to cells.
Andy

Offline Zaini

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 10:44:16 AM »
 :exactly Andy!

And natural substances like IP6 and green tea don't have any side effects.

ZAINI.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 06:41:39 PM »
Dr Modha would like me to remind everyone that green tea extract is part of his I KEL chelation formula. To be fair to Dr Modha, I would like to add that another ingredient of his formula, curcumin, is another natural substance that is often mentioned in the research articles as an iron chelator. Has anyone contacted the doctor or tried his product yet? From what Dr Modha has said, I believe his formula has the potential to supplement chelation and also provide good antioxidant properties to protect the cells. I do not think anyone should forgo their regular chelation in favor of it at this point, but supplementing may provide added iron removal. I also applaud the doctor for trying to get his formula into the hands of patients who cannot afford any chelation, as it may be of great help to these patients.
Andy

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 07:20:50 PM »

My son loves tea - we have gotten him used to tea b/c of his thalassemia.  People are often surprised when my little guy requests tea and biscotti when we go out - makes him seem like quite the little gentleman - sometimes people look at me to see if I will approve his request - and I respond by saying "yes please, the young man would like some tea:)".   :biggrin

Andy, is green tea extract available in pill form?  What dose should I offer my 9 year old (he is 58 lb)?

Sharmin

Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 07:39:00 PM »
Green tea extract is available from many supplement companies. For example http://www.puritan.com/pages/file.asp?xs=C82355E1D8D841DC8B0EACC91CC02FCC&PID=451&CID=&CPID=1507

Of course, being that it contains caffeine it does have the "don't give to children" warning, but every thal doctor on earth will tell you to give tea to kids, so please ignore the warning. The benefits of tea far outweigh any problems caffeine in tea poses. I would try one capsule twice daily and see if it causes him to be hyper at all. If not, try two caps twice daily.
Andy

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 09:35:48 PM »
Thanks Andy - I'll order some and get him on the one dose a day soon. 

Sharmin
Sharmin

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 12:45:39 PM »
The antioxidant backdrop of both substances accept allowances above chelation and should be advised by all patients.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 01:14:51 PM by Andy »

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 01:58:18 PM »
Well, green tea is a good herbal medicine. It composed all herbal medicine to protect the immune system of our body. So I love drinking a green tea every day.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 03:01:24 PM by Andy »

Offline Keep Smiling

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 05:46:17 AM »
According to a new research, green tea can also be useful for Alzheimer's and Parkinson Disease..

Abbas

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 06:51:00 AM »
Hi Andy
Is green tea extract any different from green tea? I used to give Hassan decaffeinated tea earlier but when I read that decaffeinated teas have a high level of flouride and could cause flouride poisoning in children I switched to green tea.
MAHA
Hi, I am a new member of forum. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guys!!!

« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 06:56:34 AM by Andy »

Offline Zaini

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 07:56:15 AM »
A new member would definitely be welcomed here unless ..... he or she is trying to post spam .

If you or any person you know have thal,and you have any questions about it,feel free to share.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 03:24:02 PM »
I did have to remove a link from sharonk868's post. Spammers quickly learn they are closely watched here.
Andy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk