Platelets count

• 8 Replies

Offline jade

Platelets count
« on: March 11, 2008, 12:51:36 PM »
Hi there

I wanted to know whether thal minors usually have higher than normal platelets count or not. 

Thank you in advance.

Jade

Offline KHALIFA

• ONE FOR ALL AND ALL FOR ONE
Re: Platelets count
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 12:58:49 PM »
well am as thalas. minor evrytime i check my C B C  i found iot in normal range but if there is an infiction or some kind of antibiotic i notice some decrese in the PLT ..

:khalifa
                                  state of kuwait
                            one for all and all for one
RED_PILOT

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 11:49:56 PM »
Hi,

I was curious about this too.

I just found out I have thallasemia and my bloodwork shows that my platelet count is 84 (low) when it should be 140-440.  I am wondering iif this is cause for concern.

Offline jade

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 02:44:46 AM »
Thank you both Khalifa and Dahlia.

Welcome to this site Dahlia.

Did you show these results to a doctor because these platelets are indeed low but at times platelets are lowered as a result of taking certain medicine, anemia or other infections.  But the reasons should be investigated.  Do not alarm yourself but do go for a consultation. Keep us informed.

Take care
Jade

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 03:59:57 AM »
You should have the platelet count checked again to verify if it is that low. If it is, it may be a temporary condition. In addition to being low because of medicines or illness, it can also be related to folate or B-12 deficiency. Folic acid should be taken by all thals, minor through major. B vitamins are also important. Avoid any blood thinners like aspirin or vitamin E while the platelets are low.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 10:10:35 AM »
Thanks for the feedback and the welcome.

I'm just feeling a bit confused.  I wound up going to the doctor because I was suffering from extreme fatigue (like I have never felt before) and I was getting very lightheaded and occasionally dizzy.  I thought I had the flu or pneumonia.

The doc tested me for lyme disease and mono and did some preliminary bloods.  The mono test and lyme test came back negative, but it showed anemia so she put me on iron for four weeks with follow-up blood work.

When I went back, I explained that the lightheadedness had subsided for the most part, and I wasn't AS tired, but I certainly wasn't feeling like myself.   (I'm normally pretty active.)

She said my anemia was low (hemoglobin 10.8 and hemotocrit 33.5) and wondered about bleeding or thallasemia (which no one had ever told me about before).

The latest bloods came back, and the doctor said I have anemia due to a thallasemia trait, but that it had 'stabilized' and no further work-up was necessary.  She also said there was no need for iron tablets, so I am off them.

On the latest bloods, that is where I saw the low platelet count, which she didn't mention at all.  The Hemoglobin was 10.9 and the HCT was 34.2.  The PLT was 84. My doctor didn't explain thallasemia at all, so I have been searching online myself to figure out if this is "normal" or not.   I checked the Folate and B-12 numbers and they seem to be good (Folate 15 and B12 487?).

It just seems to me that something must have triggered me feeling so bad and I should be able to get back my normal energy level. I wonder if the low platelet count has something to do with it. Again, thanks so much for your help. 

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 10:29:28 AM »
Hi dahlia,

:welcome to the group.

Well, your Hb and PLTs are low. I wonder how high is your Serum Ferritin.

Can you get it checked? If your S.F is high this could mean your spleen might be getting Iron overloaded and hyperactive thus destroying the PLTs. Get your spleen checked. I hope it is not too enlarged.

If your S.F is high then avoid citrus fruits with meals (especially Iron rich diet like meat) and take tea with your meals instead. This will inhibit Iron absorption from diet.
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 11:59:15 PM »
Well, your Hb and PLTs are low. I wonder how high is your Serum Ferritin.

That's just what is listed as Ferritin on the blood work, right?

If so, that fell in the normal range ...I think 19 or so.

Offline Danielle

• Beta Thal Major
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 07:49:01 AM »
Many people with Thal have elevated platelet counts, which is why we are prone to emboli (clots).  There's a higher incidence with people who were splenectomized, though.

This publication may help with some questions.

http://bloodjournal.hematologylibrary.org/cgi/content/full/99/1/36

According to the article, "Low levels of the coagulation inhibitors, protein C and protein S, have been observed in patients with beta thalassemia from a variety of ethnic backgrounds."
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 08:10:09 AM by Danielle »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk