Magnesium linked to fewer gallstones

• 4 Replies

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Magnesium linked to fewer gallstones
« on: March 14, 2008, 07:43:00 PM »
I've talked before about the importance of taking magnesium with your calcium and here is more evidence about the value of magnesium. Thalassemics often tend to have gallstones, and magnesium may help to prevent them. The connection to diabetes may also be relevant for thals. I cannot emphasize enough the importance of supplements for thalassemics. The bodies of thals are under incredible stresses that deplete many vitamins and minerals and also create a higher need in the first place.

http://www.nutraingredients-usa.com/news/ng.asp?id=83510-magnesium-gallstones-diabetes

"In this large cohort study, we observed that a higher consumption of magnesium was associated with a reduced risk of gallstone disease with a dose-response relationship that was not accounted for by other potential risk factors including other measured dietary variables," wrote lead author Chung-Jyi Tsai from the University of Kentucky Medical Center...After adjusting the results to account for age differences, which may affect the results, Tsai and co-workers calculated that men with the highest levels of magnesium intake (454 mg/d) were 28 per cent less likely to develop gallstones, compared to men with the lowest average intake (262 mg/d).

Moreover, dietary magnesium, which include sources like green, leafy vegetables, meats, starches, grains and nuts, and milk, were found to decrease the risk by 32 per cent..."The exact mechanism of magnesium intake in preventing gallstone disease is not clear and can be multi factorial," wrote the authors. "Hyperinsulinemia and insulin resistance are known to be positively associated with gallstone disease."

"Low magnesium consumption has been associated with high fasting insulin concentrations. Chronic hypersecretion of insulin, a feature of insulin resistance, may increase the cholesterol saturation index in the bile, and thus may facilitate gallstone formation," they added.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
Re: Magnesium linked to fewer gallstones
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 05:02:58 AM »
Nice sharing. This is good news for some Thals. having stone problems.
:thankyou for your research Cap'n Thal :biggrin
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 05:59:04 AM »
Hi Sajid,

Do you know name of any medicine containing cal and mag along with vitamin d available in Pakistan?

ZAINI.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 07:59:01 AM »
Hi Zaini,

Vi-Daylin-M syrup contains almost everything (Even Iron unfortunately :-\)

Have a look: http://www.abbott.com.pk/vidaylin.htm#c

I think you'll have to give them separately :dunno 
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 06:52:39 PM »
Yeah that's the problem, i knew about vidaylin-m already, i give it to my son, but i can't give it to Zainab as it contains iron.anyways will search about it.

ZAINI.
^*^Xaini^*^

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk