Hb Electrophoresis & HPLC

• 8 Replies

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
Hb Electrophoresis & HPLC
« on: March 19, 2008, 12:36:15 PM »
Hi

I would like to know how to choose between the two tests. My sister CBC shows that it is most likely that she is like me a thal minor. The hematologist told her to do the HB electrophoresis to check and when my sister asked why not to do the HPLC. She answered that if we find something abnormal in the test, we  can then undergo HPLC.

My own expierence is different than the hema said as when my husband did the Hb electrophoresis it showed that he is totally normal which is not true and when he did the HPLC it showed that his HB A2 is 4.6%

So are the HPLC more accurate or it depends on the mutation, like certain mutations react to one and others don't?????????????????

Manal

Re: Hb Electrophoresis & HPLC
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 10:48:52 PM »
Hmmm....I am interested in this.  What is the HPLC?  I just had bloodwork done and the hemotologist is doing the electrophoresis.  Is there a chance the results could be wrong? (I get them back on Friday).

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 12:35:50 AM »
HPLC stands for high-performance liquid chromatography. It is another method often used to test for hemoglobin disorders and is very accurate with even a small sample. An electrophoresis will give the same result, but HPLC is quick and less costly, and it is often used to test cord blood and also used in mass testings because of the quick results. Its use is becoming more widespread and one might speculate that it will eventually replace electrophoresis to detect various hemoglobins. There is very little chance the electrophoresis will show thalassemia carrier state if it is not there. However, in some cases, DNA analysis may be the only sure method of determining carrier status, if electrophoresis doesn't reveal it.

http://www.hindawi.com/GetArticle.aspx?doi=10.1155/S1463924695000125

HbA2 and F determinations are accurate and reproducible. The analysis time is short (6.5 min) and there is a good separation between the HbA2 values of β-thalassemia carriers from normals and α-thalassemia carriers, with no overlap between these groups. In addition, the system is also able to detect and quantitate most of the haemoglobin variants, particularly those (HbS, HbC, HbE and Hb Lepore) able to interact with β-thalassemia and could make haemoglobin electrophoresis unnecessary in all samples. The ease of operation and the limited technical work make this system especially suitable for laboratories with a high workload and allow the cost of screening to be reduced.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 08:27:20 AM »
Hi

I would like to know how to choose between the two tests. My sister CBC shows that it is most likely that she is like me a thal minor. The hematologist told her to do the HB electrophoresis to check and when my sister asked why not to do the HPLC. She answered that if we find something abnormal in the test, we  can then undergo HPLC.

My own expierence is different than the hema said as when my husband did the Hb electrophoresis it showed that he is totally normal which is not true and when he did the HPLC it showed that his HB A2 is 4.6%

So are the HPLC more accurate or it depends on the mutation, like certain mutations react to one and others don't?????????????????

Manal

Hello Manal,

I was wondering where did you do the HPLC test in Egypt and how long did it take?
I am trying to find a lab that does this test, however, the only success was Alfa Labs and the guy informed me that they would take the samples and send them abroad for testing and this whole process will take about a month, but my problem is that I'm travelling within 3 weeks and I will be abroad for an extended period of time and my Hematologist is here in Egypt.

I would appreciate any input from you :)
Thanks in advance...

P.S: Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 08:35:33 AM by Statelessness »

Offline Manal

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 03:23:04 AM »
Hi Statelessness and welcome to the site  :welcomewagon

Actually  i know more than one lab that does the HPLC but the one that i deal with and trust is the Dr. Nasih Amin Lab. The main branch is in 5 Talaat Harb street, Down town, Cairo. They also have another branch in Mohandessein in Bourg el Atba

Generally the results come either in one or two days maximum and sometimes i take it in the same day if i give the sample early in the morning.

Please if you need the telephone numbers or any other thing, let me know

manal

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 09:00:08 AM »
Hi Statelessness ,
 :welcome2 .... i hope you're finding the answer of your concerning questionz :) ..

Best Regards
Tak Care
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 10:34:11 AM »
Hi Statelessness and welcome to the site  :welcomewagon

Actually  i know more than one lab that does the HPLC but the one that i deal with and trust is the Dr. Nasih Amin Lab. The main branch is in 5 Talaat Harb street, Down town, Cairo. They also have another branch in Mohandessein in Bourg el Atba

Generally the results come either in one or two days maximum and sometimes i take it in the same day if i give the sample early in the morning.

Please if you need the telephone numbers or any other thing, let me know

manal

Hello Manal,

You've been a great help, thank you so much for the info and I'll go to Borg el 2ateba2 branch, I'll let you know if I need more information about the other labs.
Thank you so much :)

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 10:35:23 AM »
Hi Statelessness ,
 :welcome2 .... i hope you're finding the answer of your concerning questionz :) ..

Best Regards
Tak Care

Yes nice friend, Manal has been an enormous help. Thanks :)

Offline Manal

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 02:31:49 AM »
Statelessness, you are welcome. Please feel free to PM me if you need any other thing

manal

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk