What is PCB test

• 3 Replies

Offline Ambika

What is PCB test
« on: April 15, 2008, 04:24:26 AM »
Dear All

Sorry for not getting online for so many days

can Any one tell me  what is PCB test .

One more thing i want to ask regarding Ambika she is geting weakes after blood transfusion now she is 1.2 years old yeasterday she got her 10 blood transfusion. Her doc has dine Ferrtin test in jan that cones out to be 375 whenshe is getting her 7 transfusion. noe the doctor has given her full 200 ML as according to him that her weight is now according to that and as she is more than one year now we can give her full unit and in between the trans fusion he use to inject lesic  .

can any one tell me what all new medicines for iron overloading has come in India and what more precuation can i take  and also what other medicine can i give her so as to maintain her hemoglobin level . as we will be going for her BMT  next year when she will turn 2 years old

With regards
Rupali

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: What is PCB test
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 03:37:15 PM »
Rupali,

Are you certain it is a PCB test and not PCV? PCB test is used to test for Polychlorinated biphenyls. If this is being tested for, there would be some possibility that your daughter has been exposed to chemical pollution.

Your daughter's ferritin is not high enough to be starting chelation. It normally does not begin until a patient's ferritin reaches the 1000-1500 range. All three chelators are now available in India. Desferal, which is injected through a needle and the oral drugs, Kelfer (L1), and Asunra (Exjade).

As she grows, her blood volume also grows, so the amount of blood needed for each transfusion will also grow. With the increased amount transfused, she won't be so tired in between transfusions.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Ambika

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 03:47:45 AM »
Yes you are right Andy

it is PCV  I want to knoe why doctor has asked me to go for this test

Rupali

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 06:03:48 AM »
PCV stands for packed cell volume. It is the percentage of your blood that is red blood cells. It is also referred to as the hematocrit. It is a routine test, usually done to determine if transfusion is needed. Some doctors use the hemoglobin level and some use the hematocrit. Either test can be used to determine when blood is needed.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk