Resveratrol Research Update

• 18 Replies

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Resveratrol Research Update
« on: April 18, 2008, 04:05:27 AM »
We've talked about resveratrol and its role as a possible fetal hemoglobin inducer. With this report released in December, 2007 we can remove the word possible and replace it with confirmed.

From http://ecam.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/nem139v1

In our laboratory, when erythroid precursor cells from normal subjects were treated with increasing concentrations of resveratrol and analysis of accumulation of globin mRNA sequences was performed by quantitative RT-PCR, a clear increase in accumulation of {gamma}-globin mRNA content was found (lower part of Fig. 3). Increase in accumulation of {alpha}-globin and β-globin mRNA was much lower. Taken together these data strongly indicate resveratrol as a strong inducer of HbF and a selective stimulator of the expression in {gamma}-globin genes.

Resveratrol is a red grape extract and should be strongly considered as a complimentary medicine for increasing fetal hemoglobin levels. These natural methods can be combined to achieve a better effect. Non-transfusing intermedias and minors with Hb issues should especially take note of this but I think most thals can benefit. This whole article provides some fascinating insight into methods nature has provided for raising hemoglobin levels. I believe that through the course of history, that those living in areas of the world where thalassemia is prominent, must have had some natural methods to help deal with it. Science is now rediscovering some of these methods.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline kabir_love

Re: Resveratrol Research Update
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 07:43:22 AM »
i had already started giving to my son
i bought from this site and this product

http://www.gonsi.com/products/product-detail.cfm/sku-835003003068

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 08:01:35 AM »
I was posting to ask you to try this when you posted and said you have bought this product. This latest report confirms its effect.

Best wishes.
Andy

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 03:20:40 PM »
Hi Andy,

Can we use resveratrol,wheatgrass and IP6 at the same time?

ZAINI.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 04:48:59 PM »
Yes. The only caution for resveratrol is among women who have breast cancer because of its estrogen like properties. This is the same warning given about soy products in women with breast cancer, and even with that warning, soy can be used in moderation by women with breast cancer.

The effects of supplements are cumulative and what I am seeing is that the mechanisms that give them their positive properties are different for each supplement, resulting in different approaches to the problems.
Andy

Offline maha

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 05:30:33 AM »
Hi everyone
There are so many brands of resveratrol supplements. Some have 10mg resveratrol, some have 40mg, certain 50mg. Which one is the most ideal for thals. I have already checked the link mentioned by Micky, and felt the one supplied by puritans pride was better.
Manal which brand were you using for Ahmed.
Zaini have you started Zainab on resveratrol, if yes which one.

Andy I know you are extremely busy but I will wait for your answer before I place an order.
take care
Maha

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 02:27:06 PM »
Hi Maha

I am using Nature's Way brand,
 Resveratrol
Synergistic formula
37.5 mg resveratrol

I am giving half the adult dose.

By the way maha if you want to email Professor Roberto Gambari about your expierence with resveratrol, PM the details

manal

Offline maha

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 02:36:24 PM »
Hi Manal
I have not started Hassan on resveratrol as yet. I have three more months of Rodex supply with me. So once I finish with Rodex I will have more time for other supplements.
Thankyou
Maha

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 06:43:45 PM »
No Maha,

Zainab haven't started resveratrol yet,i m trying to find a way to get it,anyways i think puritan is a good brand.

ZAINI.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 01:54:22 AM »
Nature's Way is an excellent vitamin brand, as are Puritan and Swanson, among others. For children I would suggest half the adult dose, so about 50-60 mg daily. This can be used with any other HbF inducers, also. They work together to have a cumulative effect. It is very encouraging to hear that these natural Hb inducers are being given attention at conferences like the one in Egypt. We may be a little ahead of the experts but they're catching up.  :wink
Andy

Offline Manal

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 02:18:04 AM »
We may be a little ahead of the experts but they're catching up. 

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

manal

Offline maha

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 09:47:51 AM »
Thankyou Andy
I am going in for puritan.
maha

Offline kabir_love

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 07:11:24 AM »
i have puratine..  i m givin  one capusle daily to kabeer

Offline sah

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 05:52:01 PM »
How to give resveratrol?  It is availble as capsule form,and not possible to swallow by children.If it is given as powder [ by opening up capsules] ,what will happen to its efficacy? How you all are giving it?

Offline Manal

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 02:40:13 AM »
i just dissolve the powder in the capsule in 10ml of water and my son drink.  At the beginning, i added sugar because, he didn't like the taste but later he got used to the taste without sugar

manal

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk