thalassemia trait? new on here!

• 3 Replies
thalassemia trait? new on here!
« on: April 26, 2008, 08:22:24 PM »
Hello eveyone
It may be foolish me posting on here as my blood test results are only just below normal range, but I wondered if anyone with similar results has been identified as having a thalassemia trait? I am greek cypriot, age 29. Have MCV level 76.3 and MCH 25.5. I am worried that a doctor said I could have the trait.  Any thoughts? Thanks, Elena

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: thalassemia trait? new on here!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 09:07:25 PM »
Hi Elena and welcome,

I would guess that the doctor saw something else that indicates you may carry thal trait. If some of your red blood cells appear to be small or irregularly shaped, thalassemia trait may be suspected. A hemoglobin electrophoresis test can confirm if this is so. The main thing you should be aware of is that this trait can be passed on to children, so your partner should be also tested before conceiving if it does turn out that you carry the trait, as there is a 25% chance of having a thal major child when two carriers have a child.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 06:33:38 PM »
Hi Andy
Thanks for your reply. I hope I don't have it!  Although from what Ive read people with the trait aren't supposed to have any clinical symptoms. I don't like the idea of the risk to children when I decide to have them. I freaked myself out reading up on stuff online! I will just have to see what the next test shows. A cousin of mine has the trait apparently; despite his parents being clear. If I do have the trait i wonder whether it would account for physical symptoms? Does anyone know whether there has been any research conducted that suggests trait carriers have health implications?

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 08:00:59 PM »
Hi Elena,

Thal minor can range from silent carrier status with no symptoms to transfusion dependency in rare cases of the dominant thal gene. There has been very little research into the health of thal minors and as a result, most doctors are unaware that it can have symptoms that adversely affect quality of life. In your case, if you do have it, it would be called silent carrier. The main danger here is for future generations so getting a diagnosis is very important. If your cousin has thal trait, then one of his parents absolutely has to also carry the trait, as there is no way to get it other than inheritance. The fact that a relative does have the trait does make it even more necessary for you to determine if you also carry it.

While there has been little research into the effects of thal minor, we have many members who are minors and have repeatedly testified to health conditions that are all very similar. The common thread beyond minor is that the lower the hemoglobin level, the more symptoms that are experienced. You will find very few doctors who will acknowledge that thal minor can affect one's health, but we do hope that patients will also tell their doctors so that doctors can become better informed.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk