Thalassemia Trait and Seizure

• 9 Replies
Thalassemia Trait and Seizure
« on: May 26, 2008, 04:15:08 PM »
Hi All,

I had a seizure (generalized tonic-clonic) a year ago this month. They ran numerous tests and only discovered that I have the thalassemia trait. I still have to get my records from the hospital with respect to those results. Could thalassemia have anything to do with the seizure? I was dehydrated at the time and was recovering from the flu. As with most people on here I have suffered at one point or the other from fatigue, depression, migraines, severe dizzy spells (where the entire room would be spinning and I would feel nauseous), nausea, heart palpitations, I have a very low appetite for food etc. At the time of the seizure my blood count was 8.9 I am going to have it tested again pretty soon. I am very skinny and have never been able to put on weight.

Any help would be appreciated. I am lucky to just have the trait but sometimes it's hard to do normal everyday activites...maybe something else is wrong. I have suffered with these symptoms since I was around 12 I guess and I am now 29 but have lost the zeal to do a lot of things.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Thalassemia Trait and Seizure
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 03:11:13 AM »
Hi Sash,

I don't know if the tonic-clonic seizure would be specifically related to thal minor. Dehydration might be involved and combined with the properties of the blood in a minor, there might be some loose connection. Minors tend to have an excess of the alpha globins in their blood, due to the lack of sufficient beta globins. This causes some "clutter" in the bloodstream and this might be a contributing factor. Low blood sodium is mentioned as one of the causes and dehydration and low sodium go hand in hand. When recovering from dehydration, some salt should also be taken. If this is a one time thing, it was probably caused by some combination of the mentioned factors.

http://www.minddisorders.com/Py-Z/Seizures.html

Generalized tonic-clonic seizures are associated with drug and alcohol abuse, and low levels of blood glucose (blood sugar) and sodium. Certain psychiatric medications, antihistamines, and even antibiotics can precipitate tonic-clonic seizures.

A review of any medications you were on for the flu might also give some insight into why it happened. Learn to recognize the signs of dehydration, such as dizziness and a vague feeling, and correct it. Has your thyroid tested as normal? Blood sugar?
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 03:24:09 PM »
Thanks for the info Andy. Not just the response to my post but your other posts as well. My blood sugar level is usually good and I have to get my thyroids biopsied. But I did test for the T3 and T4 levels a year ago and they were fine. I usually suffer from dizziness and that vague feeling you mentioned. I hate drinking water but I am trying hard to force myself to. After reading the info here I recently started on Folic Acid and a B-complex along with almonds (daily dose of Vit E) and I feel so much better. I tried sourcing the d-tocopherol but all they have in Trinidad is the DL form of Vit E so I hope I get enough from the almonds.

Knew there had to be a reason that i would sleep every evening when I came from school  :huh!

So basically my blood cells can pile up and block a small blood vessel?

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 05:41:46 PM »
Greetings,
I am new to this forum and glad to have found it!  I am thal minor and am 29.  I have been aware of my thal minor condition since age 13.  I have taken vitamins over the years on and off, but in the past two years I've had some odd experiences, including seizures. 
The first seizure I ever had was late Aug 2006.  I had just had a chest cold of some sort and was prescribed a fluoroquinolone (which I wish I researched before taking - I wouldn't have taken it!) and next thing you know I had a seizure.  That day I was dehydrated and hadn't eaten anything and I had a seizure.  I had many tests done and everything came back 'normal'.  I refused to take anti-epileptic meds.  The next seizure I had was March 2007.  I had another one Oct 2007, Oct 2008 and my most recent was last week (Jan 2009).  I should mention that my first 3 seizures I had while awake, and my last 2 have been during my sleep (my boyfriend witnessed them).
I would like to know what to have tested, if anyone has suggestions?  Also, any recommendations for vitamins/minerals and/or things to stay away from?

thank you!
Kiki
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 05:49:22 PM by kiki »

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 08:21:10 PM »
@ topic
i dont know anything about it  :biggrin :grin

@ kiki
just want to say : WELCOME TO THE FAMILY KIKI , its nice to see you posting here , keep posting and stay in-touch with us ... i hope you will find this community very helpping, caring and encouraging ........ wish you all the best ...

Best Regards
Take Care
Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 08:41:01 PM »
Dear Kiki,

Welcome to the group.  I cannot say for sure what is responsible for your seizures.  The low hg and problematic alpha chains in beta thal minor may or may not contribute to the problem. 

Because your seizures are persisting I would suggest that you see a neurologist and that you have an EEG.  Any vitamins and supplements that you take should be decided on later because the neurologist may decide to put you on medicatons.  At that point we can help you select a list of supplements that will not have contra indications to any medications that you may be prescribed. 

Wishing you the best and please keep us posted,

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 02:06:58 AM »
Hi Kiki and welcome :urwelcome

Please check this link, could be of any help

http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=2510.msg22674;highlight=seizures#msg22674

manal

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 05:58:57 PM »
Hi Kiki,

Sorry to hear about your string of seizures. Having suffered from them I know how horrible it feels and not being able to remember anything. As another member recommended you should see a really good neurologist. I went to a couple but the best was one at Columbia University in NYC. But it is also costly, you should definitely have an EEG done. I had three done and they were borderline, which could mean that I am prone to seizures but something has to trigger it. I had three approximately 28days apart. Your neurologist may also issue a MRI or CTScan.  My HB level was severely low at 8.1 at the time of the first seizure. See you're neurologist and take care of yourself...diet wise, keep yourself hydrated, get enough sleep as severe sleep deprivation may trigger a seizure.

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 01:28:43 PM »
In the past few years I have "fainted" three times- they felt like seizures but my brain has been run through every test known to man kind looking for bloodclots, seizure activity you name it. i suffer from nausea, 5 day long headaches feeling weak and queasy. not one doctor has mentioned dehydration- i did have one doctor confused because they took blood one morning after a cup of coffee with cream and sugar and my sugar was only 61 - she kept asking if i was sure i felt ok that day i came in and then told me she thought i should try to eat some protein like a hard boiled egg or something every couple hours. perhaps my headaches would decrease if i drank more water

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 07:13:34 PM »
Staying hydrated in under-emphasized but should be greatly emphasized. One thing to remember, and as long as high blood pressure is not an issue, is that if you are getting a lot of liquid you may also need some salt. I tend towards the low end of normal BP and find salt essential.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk