resveratrol

• 2 Replies

Offline sah

resveratrol
« on: May 30, 2008, 06:35:19 PM »
Resveratrol  is used for Hb F induction.But it is also used for heart-related matters.It has anti-platelet and anti -aggregation properties , which plays a role in heart-related issues.We are not aware of the  possible implication of this property in thal patients.I am giving my son resveratrol for last few weeks.Suddenly he had nose-bleeding.It was minor,but I am not sure whether it has some relation with resveratrol.One ,I think, should keep watch on this factor when using resveratrol.

sah

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Re: resveratrol
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 07:10:31 PM »
Thanks for sharing that Sah.  Maybe we should note what kind of a dose is best for kids. 
Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: resveratrol
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 05:23:58 AM »
The safety of large doses of resveratrol has not been established, but in limited studies, no side effects have been seen. Even the most fervent proponents of resveratrol agree that more testing is essential, as it has shown some remarkable properties.

If the nose bleed is related to the blood thinning properties of resveratrol, it will be reflected in routine platelet tests. Nose bleeds in children are common and often pollen or dust allergy related, so it may be a coincidence.

Because of the clotting tendencies that exist in thalassemia, the use of supplements with some blood thinning property, such as vitamin E and resveratrol are normally beneficial. However, there are times when platelets can drop, as Sajid experienced not too long ago, and these supplements should be reduced or eliminated until the platelet level is restored. Aspirin can also be included in this group of blood thinners.

As far as resveratrol, the dose for children should be kept in moderation until more research has been done.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk