Exjade dosage Vs. Desferal dosage

• 51 Replies

Offline T @ r ! Q

• Beta Thal Major
Re: Exjade dosage Vs. Desferal dosage
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2008, 04:07:22 PM »
Depends how many deferals you use and what syringe you use. I would use 3 vials and 9.5 ml of distilled water in a 10ml syringe.

Actually thats what not i wanted to know. let me repeat the question
"what is the recommended water for dissolving desferal, distilled water or Sodium Chloride water. can it change the effectiveness of desferal infusion?"
Falling down is not defeat... Defeat is when you refuse to get up...
The one who kneels to Allah, can standup to anything.

Offline sahil

• Thal Major
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2008, 04:21:32 PM »
Tariq,

Am sorry for getting your question wrong. Well, I've always used distilled water. So, I don't know about sodium chloride.

\peace/
My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2008, 05:07:01 PM »
It seems to be a matter of choice. It makes no difference in the effectiveness of desferal. I know people use both. Some instructions specify saline but Northern California Comprehensive Thalassemia Center says

From http://www.thalassemia.com/desferal_toxicity.html

Using more normal saline or sterile water to mix the Desferal makes it much less irritating.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2008, 05:27:24 PM »
Also, if you are taking 2 gm desferal subcutaneously, use 20 ml water (5 ml per 500 mg), or more water if you intend to dilute it so it lasts more than 12 hours. You may not find this in the prescribing information, but the doctors at the conference stated that it is actually more effective to spread the same dosage out over a longer period of time. This method has long been used by Shilpa to make her desferal last longer. When I heard the doctors recommend this at Singapore, I wrote this in my notes. Shilpa is a genius! It has worked well for her.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline T @ r ! Q

• Beta Thal Major
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2008, 04:10:04 AM »
Thanks Andy, i was eagerly waiting for your opinion on this one

It seems to be a matter of choice. It makes no difference in the effectiveness of desferal.

phew thats a relief.

Actually yes, saline does cause less irritation, and the reason i shifted from distilled water to saline about 2 years ago was that distilled water was given me pain and irritation.
Falling down is not defeat... Defeat is when you refuse to get up...
The one who kneels to Allah, can standup to anything.

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2008, 01:49:13 AM »
Hi Tariq ,
i forgot to mention one thing , when i asked to my doctor that may i use 9.5 ml water for 3 vials or 12 ml for 3 vial of desferal .. she told me that it would be good to use 15 ml for 3 ( 5ml per desferal vial ) . she told me that this will make the solution light and there will be less chances of  swelling over the site of desferal and it will be easy to mix in your boddy ... reducing the water could make the solution hard and it could create swelling and pain ..... i hope  it will help you ...

Take Care
Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2008, 02:14:57 AM »
Everyone, do not assume your liver is healthy just because your ferritin levels are low. Iron overload in organs does not necessarily reflect in ferritin tests, as Kats found out this year. She has always had top notch care and low ferritin but it was discovered through a heart scan that she was suffering from iron overload. As a result, she was taken off Exjade and put on combination treatment using desferal and L1.

Hi Smurfette ,
i was talking about this one member ...  i mixed up you and Kat togather ....
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk