Tips for taking medicine Especialy Ferriprox ( based on personal experience )

• 13 Replies

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
HI everyone :
i just want to add something that is related too this  topic  and i think it will work for
you too as it works in my case ....
thatt is  :
as many of you people know that i m on ferriprox i just want to say that try to make 8 hours
of interval betweenw two doses of ferriprox ... it will help to run chelation process
continuously all day .. for your help i m giving you an example chart you can set your
timing under its light ...

1st dose =  0700 ( 07;00 AM )

2nd dose =  1500 ( 03;00 PM )

3rd dose =  2300 ( 11;00 PM )

i think 8 hours interval is the best ....
my family doctor gave this time table chart a in janaury this year when i was suffering to the fever... he told that .. he told me that twice a day mean 12 hours interval between two doses and
a tablet thrice a day means 8 hours interval between the doses .. it keep the immune system active .so that function souldn't b stoped throughout the day .. i m aplying this time table  to
take my medicines and i found its realy working as my ferritin levels decreasing .. you will
never miss a dose while aplying on this chart and your medicine will b able to work for you
as you desire ...... and also drink as water as much you can .. it will b easy to excess iron
four times 25% than the one time 100%  .. it will also prevent the drynes of skin and u will
look healthy and fresh as well ..... i am right Andy  .. correct me where u think that
correction is needed in my this post ......

umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Umair,

The first step towards complete compliance is having a plan that you will stick to and your plan has a schedule that can easily be revised by others to match their own hours. The intervals mean that your body will have continuous iron chelation activity because the iron chelation activity of L1 remains for at least 8 hours after dosing, whereas the chelating effect of desferal ends within 30 minutes after the dose is stopped. Taking L1 3 times daily in 8 hour intervals will provide the continuous chelation that is needed in thalassemics (Exjade's once daily dose works for 24 hours minimum), and when combined with regular desferal infusions (2-5 times weekly), provides a superior effect. Your advice to drink a lot of water is very important. Proper hydration will help one avoid many problems.

The most important thing is having the will to comply. What you are willing to demand of yourself with no excuses will determine how successful your chelation program is and what you can expect of your long term health outlook. It really is up to each patient. We are here to encourage and direct but each patient has to make the decision to be strong and fight the good fight.

Umair,  :thumbsup
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
hi Andy :
that wat i realy mean to mention in my post ..you mentioned that in complete words ....
thank you  from me and behalf of ther thals ....... i  feel that i have to send thhe post like this one .. i read it in dr.Cappellini_Cairo_9.5.07 in the way you posted .. overall thanx .. this time hat of to my Family Dr who told me to take medicine in this way .. to take the benefits  of the medicines completely                          thanx buddy
                                            Umair
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 08:14:47 PM by nice friend »
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Andy Battaglia

Hi Umair,

One more reason to continue desferal is because it does work better in the liver than L1 does, just as L1 works better in the heart than desferal. This is why combination chelation works better than either drug does by itself.
Andy

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
Andy  :
last time when i went to Dr.joveria manan's clinic for check up.
i asked her abt the abt almost all chelators mentioned here in this site ...
she told me that it is the best combination u r taking ... i asked abt exjade she refused...
i asked about ferrinil  she told  " there already are many complications in your case .. so i sugest you to stay on ferriprox even the both  medicines are based on same formula ... but  local pharma companys have their own side-effects which can create troublence in your treatment you " as i mentioned in my previous post  that Dr. Joveria Manan isn't only an inteligent doctor bu tshe is also  the best doctor in pakistan For thals  .......... i think u know her .. bcoze she also attend every thal conference ..................................

umair

andy i have another one reason to coniue the desferal .. that is.. its good that ferrtin levvel is 3582 but itts not mean that fight is over to ferritin ... ferritin has to come to under 350 and it will come
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 11:21:57 AM by nice friend »

===========
Umair

Offline Andy Battaglia

Umair,

Ferrirpox is the same drug. However, if there are concerns about the purity or quality of the generics, then your doctor will want you to stay on what is working for you.
Andy

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
hi buddy(es)
Hope that you all will be fine and healthy
and taking  ur medicines regularly ....
i want to addd some words in this post ..
that's :
keep remember that not to try to take half tablet (film coated or coated tablets like

ferriprox) ...
bcoze pharma companyes coat the tablets for long lasting purpose..
( in other ways i like to say they coat's the tablet to disolve slowly  and not to harm ur

digestive system ) ...
and for work smoothly equal throughout its period ...
to avoid too much Up and then banged downed ...
i think i have cleared that mesage wat i want to deliver  .. 
m i or not ??...
andy once again need your help for thesaurus like details .....
plz. add some words if u feel that is needed ..
i will b happy to see that someone has writen clearly wat i want to say ....

Thank you
Umair

NOTE : it's not only for ferriprox its abt all  coated medicines  ...

===========
Umair

Offline Andy Battaglia

Umair,

I believe the term you're looking for is time release medicine. What you are saying is that the coating on Ferrirprox allows it to slowly be released,  which minimizes the upsetting effect it can have in the stomach.
Andy

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
yes thats wat i wana say ....
but it has another effect that is ... if i m using insulin tablet  kind of tablet  and which slowly works alll day  .. if i crack that in two pieces and then i take it .. it will disolve quickly .. it will result in case of  first hypoglycaemia and then hyperglycaemia  .. i think i have cleared my point  ... m i right or have to explain with more examples ...... thanx

===========
Umair

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
well sorry for sednig a long post but i want to mention more reasons and beefits of drinking more wateer to convince as much people i can ... here is my post  i ddin't customize it took long time to wrote this post .....  :biggrin
========================

Hi
i dont mean that drink water to prevent dehyderation .. when i was writing that post i had two many reasons of said to drink water as much as you can .... writen below :

1) for Iron :

it is related to the ferriprox :
ferriprox last till 8 hours in body so if you drunk more water during the lasting time of ferriprox it will make easy to chelate iron and prevent damaginng organs ... many times iafter taking ferriprox i drunk less water and then i went o washroom that made a burning sensation and a very darkk urine colour... so if you drink more water during desferal therapy  or after taking ferriprox it will release  iron time to time and will not make any burning sensation.. for example ....
if 3 tablet of ferriprox chelate 1500mg iron in several times going to washroom, it is better than the chelate 1500mg  iron in one time  ( in this case urine will too dark in colour)........
soo first one option is right ... 
( i think . its only my point of view )

2) for diabetes :
drinking water as much you can is also help in diabetes .. bcoze it help's to release sugar through urine  ..( i think all of you know it well ) .. i think no need to add more words ..

as you know about the symptoms of diabets mouth dryness is one of the big symptom .. i mentioned this bcoze i want to say that .. when BSL reachs the high level our body system dry's our mouth that mean's we have to take water again.. and.. again.. and.. again.. so sugar level come down .... so this medicine settled by the nature ... ( i experienced that drinking more water help's to decrease BSL ) .......

Tip ::
some people found it difficult how to drink 12 glass of water a day .... here is the tip for that ..try to drink a glass of water every hour in this way u can take at least 14 glass of water ....

M i right or wrong ??..
have your say andy that means alot for me .........

===========
Umair

Offline Andy Battaglia

There is a good article about the benefits of drinking plenty of water at http://www.betterwayhealth.com/drinking-water.asp  It is very important for thals because water removes toxins, and very importantly makes the blood thinner and easier to circulate through the body.

Drink to Your Health . . . With Water!
Mother Nature's Healthy "Cocktail"
Some nutritionists insist that 80% of the country is walking around dehydrated. We drink too much coffee, tea, and sodas containing caffeine, which prompts the body to lose water. More troubling is that fact that when we are dehydrated, we don't know what to drink.

The answer is simple: drink water!

Water is pure liquid refreshment and accounts for a large percentage of what makes each of us "human." The average 150 lb. adult body contains 40 to 50 quarts of water. Almost 2/3rds of our body weight is "water weight":

Blood is 83% water

Muscles are 75% water

The brain is 74% water

Bone is 22% water

The Fountain of Youth, Health, and Everything Else that's Good

Water is necessary for your body to digest and absorb vitamins and nutrients. It also detoxifies the liver and kidneys, and carries away waste from the body. And when it comes to digestion . . . it's just not happening without water. Fiber alone cannot aid proper digestive function by itself. In fact, without water as its partner, good fiber goes bad, causing constipation and extreme discomfort.

If you're dehydrated, your blood is literally thicker, and your body has to work much harder to cause it to circulate.
As a result, the brain becomes less active, it's hard to concentrate, your body feels fatigued, and you just "poop out."

Water - The Miracle Worker

Simple water -- when it's pure and free of contaminants -- is truly a "wonder drug." Without chemicals, additives, or anything unnatural, a steady dose of 8 glasses of water a day (ideally ½ your body weight in ounces of water) will:

Improve Your Energy

Increase Your Mental and Physical Performance

Remove Toxins & Waste Products from your body

Keep Skin Healthy and Glowing

Help You Lose Weight

Reduce Headaches and Dizziness

Allow for proper Digestion

Help to keep you more Alkaline

Drinking Water is Heart-Healthy

The findings of a six-year study of more than 20,000 healthy men and women aged 38-100 in the May 1, 2002 American Journal of Epidemiology found that women who drank more than five glasses of water a day were 41% less likely to die from a heart attack during the study period than those who drank less than two glasses. The protective effect of water was even greater in men.

Drinking Water and Weight Loss

Water is a natural appetite suppressant, so developing a good water drinking habit can be a long-term aid in achieving and maintaining a healthy weight. Doctor F. Batmanghelidj MD, author of "Your Body's Many Cries For Water" says most times your “hunger” is your body asking for water – not food.

It's also important to remember that when the body is dehydrated, fat cells get "rubbery" and cannot be easily metabolized. This means that it's harder to lose when you don't drink your water.

Who Can Benefit From A Water Regimen? Everyone . . . including YOU!

Water is especially important for pregnant women and nursing mothers. For athletes and work-out fanatics, drinking water reduces cardiovascular stress and improves performance. And, since water reduces body temperature, it makes the whole exercise process safer and more effective.

Water is also an important "healing tool" for people with a history of kidney stones. Since water dissolves calcium in the urine, downing at least 8 glasses daily reduces the risk of stone formation. Drinking water is also valuable in preventing urinary tract infections in both men and for women, flushing impurities out of the system.

Even mild dehydration makes you more susceptible to viruses. For someone like me, with an immune system compromised from my battle with terminal cancer, water is a powerful weapon in my war on colds and other illnesses. I've also found that water helps me recover more quickly.

When your body is hydrated, drainage from allergies and colds doesn't stick and collect in your throat and lungs, and your cough is more "productive". Even cold sores that appear on the lips are minimized by drinking water because those eruptions tend to favor dry areas on the body.

Tips for Drinking Water

I know how hard it can be to remember to drink enough water every day, but I also know how hard it can be to bounce back from the effects of being even mildly dehydrated. So I'd like to share a few easy tips to help you reach your "water mark" every day:

You are naturally thirsty i.e. “dehydrated” in the morning . . . help your body flush out the toxins it has been processing all night and take advantage of this thirst to get a “leg up” on your daily water requirements by drinking a glass of water first thing.

If you are cold drink warm water instead of dehydrating coffee & tea.

Don't wait until you're thirsty to have a drink – you are already dehydrated if you feel thirsty.

Set a timer to remind yourself to establish a habit of drinking water and keep a bottle of water with you at all times.

Compensate for diuretics . . . thieves that steal water from your body. If you drink coffee, tea, or sodas with caffeine, you'll need to drink a few extra glasses of water to make up for the water that these diuretic beverages "leech" from your system.
Andy

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
Drinking Water and Weight Loss

Water is a natural appetite suppressant, so developing a good water drinking habit can be a long-term aid in achieving and maintaining a healthy weight. Doctor F. Batmanghelidj MD, author of "Your Body's Many Cries For Water" says most times your “hunger” is your body asking for water – not food.

It's also important to remember that when the body is dehydrated, fat cells get "rubbery" and cannot be easily metabolized. This means that it's harder to lose when you don't drink your water.

From now on i am going to wear a large water bottle around my neck  :biggrin :biggrin.

ZAINI.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
Andy u r always great buddy :
thats wat i want to say to all thals and others wat u mentioned in details ..you gave the meaning to my words ... thanx buddy.. i found u always helping for me especial thanx to you budy :hugfriend

===========
Umair

Offline Dori

Umair thank you for this topic!
I can use all the help I can get. I felt low, but this site always makes me work harder and to put a smile on my face. How long it will take me, I will be get out of this annoying 2000+!
Thank you, Dore
PS Do you must take vit C along Ferriprox?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk