Help understanding my CBT Results

• 3 Replies
Help understanding my CBT Results
« on: July 19, 2008, 08:19:51 PM »
Hello all,

I've known about my thalassemia minor since I was a young boy, now 40.  Played sports competitively my entire life. Never really thought it impacted my performance. Recently while training for my first triathlon it has been tougher to recover from long runs.  Is it me getting old or possibly my thalassemia?

I know my markers are low - I just dont know how low.

Here they are:

WBC  4.2
RBC  5.46
HGB  12
HCT  36.7
MCV  67.3
MCH  22.1
MCHC  32.8
RDW  14.5
PLATLETS 212
MPV  9.4
NEUT % 56.5
LYMPH % 26.9
MONO % 12.4
EOS % 2.9
BASO % 1.3
NEUT # 2.4
LYMPH # 1.1
MONO # .5
EOS # .1
BASO # .1

I listed it all as I dont know what pertains to the thalassemia

What other tests should I request from my doctor.

Thanks for your help in advance.

These type of sites are really great.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Help understanding my CBT Results
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 11:48:26 PM »
Hi Eastend,

The readings are consistent with thal minor. Hb slightly low for a male. MCV and MCH both indicate thal trait. Nothing here suggests any unusual problem. The only thing that seems out of line is the monocyte count, which is a bit on the high side, with the normal high range at 9%. This could indicate a lingering low grade infection. This could possibly explain your recent lack of stamina. Do you know if your Hb level has always been in this range? If it has dropped, it could be a factor. You might also consider some supplements to help boost your hemoglobin levels. Folic acid, wheatgrass tablets, resveratrol, and carao syrup are all supplements that may raise your Hb a bit. Thalassemia trait does seem to cause more problems with age in some people, so a program of supplements to keep your Hb level up may be of some help.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 04:55:51 PM »
Andy,

Thanks so much for you reply.

I just ordered folic acid and resveratol supplements. 

I also ordered Green Vibrance which I think should cover the wheatgrass recommendation.

Are there any further blood tests that I should be requesting from my doctor?

Thanks again.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 05:37:06 PM »
The only thing I think you should ask the doctor right now is what he thinks caused the high monocyte level. Nothing else seemed out of line so further testing wouldn't be needed at this point.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk