Splenomegaly in Thalassemia, and are Minors also Affected?

• 21 Replies
Re: Splenomegaly in Thalassemia, and are Minors also Affected?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2017, 08:15:03 PM »
Hi Andy:

I have a quick question: I'm a Beta Thal Minor from India and seeing a clinical nutritionist. The nutritionist has suggested I do a coffee enema to get my liver working and getting the toxins out. I have a 8 cm large uterine fibroid and ovarian cysts and also have small intestinal bacterial and fungal overgrowth which causes lots of bloating and gas and tenderness in the abdominal areas.The nutritionist thinks that the coffee enemas used in Gerson cancer therapy stimulate the liver to increase bile flow and toxin dumping accumulated over many many years, jump starting the immune system getting rid of fungi, bacteria, constipation and heavy metals. I also have a sluggish thyroid and extreme dry skin due to it. What is your advice on doing once a week coffee enemas. Apparently I also have a few parasites which can be rid off with the enema as well.

Awaiting your reply. Thanks.

Poornima

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 04:38:25 AM »
There is no research to back up the value of coffee enemas, but that may be a result of almost no research having been done about the effects. I can't tell you if it might help, but once a week won't hurt you. I wouldn't suggest more often than that.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Markiszuni87

• I am the one on the left
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2018, 12:38:20 AM »
Hi all, my name is mark, I have thal minor. I have had an enlarged spleen since I was young. I am 30 years old. About 3 years ago I had my gallbladder removed. It was a very scary thing to go through. I eat mostly vegetarian diet and takefolic acid as well as milk thistle to help cleanse my system. I have read many stories of others having to remove their spleen. This is something very scary for me to imagine being I have heard of complications after removing spleen.

I am 30 and have not had much assistance from doctors. They are very unaware of my disorder. It creates a very uneasy situation to be in. I have mild jaundice since I was a young lad as well. I have lived a normal healthy life except for the gallbladder situation.i have not had any abdominal pain throughout my life besides the gallbladder issue.. other than that all I’m has been well. As of late my spleen has been on my mind since I’m getting older.

I have no abdominal pain, however I would like to know if any suggestions as far as supplements or additional remedies to help keep these things under wrap.

I am happy I found this place, I started to feel very scared and alone facing with this disorder.

Mark Z.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2018, 06:34:40 PM »
Mark, both the spleen and gallbladder can be affected in thal minor by the high turnover of red blood cells. Next time you do see a doctor, ask for a physical examination of the spleen to see if it is palpable. Most minors will not have a palpable spleen, although the enlargement can be see by ultrasound scans. It may ease your mind to have it checked.

Being on a veg diet makes it even more important for you to take B12 daily. A sublingual B12 will help your red blood cell production, as will magnesium and natural vitamin E, and will help the RBC's live longer, which will in turn, lessen the stress on the spleen. Melon juice is also supposed to be very good for the spleen. If you like beets, they should be considered a superfood for thals.
Andy

Offline Markiszuni87

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2018, 09:46:06 PM »
Thank you for the reply!

I do take a beet juice a couple times a week. Since I was younger my spleen has always been somewhat palpable. When laying flat it is palpable but like I mentioned it’s not where I feel pain or any discomfort.

Doctors ask if pain is present then feel around and I’m on my way. I will definitely take some melon juice to see if this helps. I have also began taking papaya after meals, I have heard papaya is good for the spleen as well.

As of now I’m trying to save th money to see a doctor but for now I’m trying to live the healithiest life possible.

Really like my food to act as my medicine for I do not want to have my spleen removed.

Thanks for the suggestions and I look forward to reading more on here!

Thank you,

Mark Z.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2018, 06:38:03 PM »
I agree completely that you should use a natural approach to this. Continue to research foods that may be beneficial to the spleen, and yes papaya and papaya leaves are often mentioned. Muskmelon juice is often recommended by patients who have used it to reduce spleen size.
Andy

Offline Markiszuni87

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2018, 06:18:04 AM »
Thank you! I will definitely look into muskmelon juice. I have also read and seen some supplement suggestions to help slow down break doe of red blood cells to help relieve the spleen and build healthier cells,.I appreciate all your responses. Any other suggestions are always greatly appreciated bring I mainly want to help keep my spleen down.

Thank you,

Mark Z.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk