Information meant for Physicians/ Patients on Desirox- Cipla's Deferasirox

• 13 Replies

Offline Life is Beautiful ~

• Writing on behalf of my daughter
As suggested by Sajid, I am uploading the Information meant for Physicians/ Patients on Desirox - Cipla's Version of Deferasirox. I hope this would be useful for patients. You may have to view it in more than 150% to get a better legibility.

Best wishes to all,

TK

I want to see a definitive cure of Thalassaemia in my lifetime. May God bless all of us.

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
Thank you so much for going through all the trouble to scan and uploading this document.
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

well sajid, it is nice to see the reply from yourside

i would like to give some information about the new DESIROX dispersible tablet (CIPLA PHARMA)

I have all the information like where it is available, what is the cost, what is the comparative edge over the ASUNRA and many more

if you wish to know more just for your daughter, please reply me what specific you want to know about DESIROX

BYE AND GIVE MY BEST REGARDS TO YOUR DAUGHTER

TAKE CARE N THANKS]

Offline marziya

• My lil angel Firdaus
Re: Information meant for Physicians/ Patients on Desirox- Cipla's Deferasirox
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 01:55:41 PM »
Hi,

I am giving my daughter desferral and kelfer.But kelfer is showing some side effects now.Can u give me some information abt Desirox.Does it work better.Do i need to get any tests done before having that.

thanx

Marziya(mother of Firdaus)
Be postive always!!!

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 04:29:28 AM »
Hi Marziya(mother of Firdaus)

Desirox is the gereric name for exjade/Asunra. There is no specific tests done before taking it other than making sure that you start with small doses until you reach the suitable dose for weight  so that the body gets used to it. Also it is best when used with people with no history of having troubles in the liver. Also kidney function should be monitered. It is expected after using it to have an increase in ferrtin before it starts to decreasing again but this may not happen if you use it with desferal

Hope this helps

manal

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 08:03:12 AM »
I think checking creatinine levels before starting Desirox would be a good idea,and then keep monitoring it.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline marziya

• My lil angel Firdaus
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 12:06:37 PM »
Hi Marziya(mother of Firdaus)

Desirox is the gereric name for exjade/Asunra. There is no specific tests done before taking it other than making sure that you start with small doses until you reach the suitable dose for weight  so that the body gets used to it. Also it is best when used with people with no history of having troubles in the liver. Also kidney function should be monitered. It is expected after using it to have an increase in ferrtin before it starts to decreasing again but this may not happen if you use it with desferal

Hope this helps

manal

Hi Manal,

Thanx a lot for your reply it really was helpful .I am giving her Desferral also ,But not very regularly.Like 3 vials
2 times a week... for 12 hrs.I hope the combination works.She has so far no history of liver problem.But i will have of all that before we start.

Thanx

Take care & God bless.

Marziya

Be postive always!!!

Offline marziya

• My lil angel Firdaus
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 12:14:12 PM »
I think checking creatinine levels before starting Desirox would be a good idea,and then keep monitoring it.

Zaini

Hi Zaini,

Thanx a lot for your reply.I will surely get her creatinine level checked.But can u explain which

part of the body does it monitor.I am not aware abt it.

thanx again

Take care & God Bless

Marziya

Be postive always!!!

Offline Zaini

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 12:40:50 PM »
Hi Marziya,

Creatinine level is an indicator of Kidney function,high creatinine level would indicate that kidneys are not working properly,it is advised to check because one of the side effects of Desirox is possible increase in creatinine level,so you should know before hand that your kidneys are working fine.
You can read more about it here

http://www.medicinenet.com/creatinine_blood_test/article.htm

Hope this helps.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 06:37:00 PM »
My dauthter has been taking Cipla's Desirox and then Exjade since July this year. She takes the medicine regularly. Initially she was taking 15 mg per kg of body weight. Now it has been increased to 30 mg per kg of body weight.

Now, because of the financial constraints it is simply not practical for us to do all the recommended tests every month. However, we are planning to take her for the tests now. We would appreciate if someone could suggest what sort of tests are absolutely essential for monitoring patients taking Exjade / Desirox?

Clinical observation wise, she has become much taller in the last couple of months. Her appetite has also improved. She has also got much lesser dark patches in her skin, which happened earlier due to her high ferritin levels.

However, I have personally met parents of some of the Thal Major patients who has told me that they had to stop giving Desirox / Asunra to their children because of deteriorating liver function.

Wish you all a merry Christmas and a Happy and Prosperous New Year
I want to see a definitive cure of Thalassaemia in my lifetime. May God bless all of us.

Offline Zaini

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 01:10:09 PM »
How long has your daughter been taking desirox? Monitoring kidney and liver functions is advised while taking exjade.

From http://www.us.exjade.com/info/prescribing-information/home.jsp

Important safety information about EXJADE

People who are allergic to EXJADE or any ingredient of EXJADE should not take EXJADE.

Before you start EXJADE, your doctor will give you blood tests, because EXJADE may affect your kidneys, liver, or blood. The blood tests will be performed every month to check your kidney and liver function, your serum ferritin levels, and your blood count. If you are at increased risk of complications because you have a pre-existing kidney condition, are elderly, have multiple medical conditions, or are taking medicine that affects your kidneys, your doctor will give you a blood test every week for the first month you are taking EXJADE or if your dose has changed, and then every month after that. Your doctor may also collect urine samples monthly.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 03:57:35 PM »
Thanks

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 04:07:23 PM »
It has been found that patients with pre-existing liver and kidney problems may be more prone to further problems with Exjade use. It is very important to chelate well before this is a possibility. If high organ iron never occurs, there is are far fewer problems with Exjade use. Serum creatinine should be checked monthly while using Exjade to check for any kidney problems, so please do this as often as possible. Her dosage is now high enough that you will see definite results over the next year. Exjade does work and works well but it takes some time to see the big drops in ferritin but they do come. I know many patients who use Exjade and have ferritin under 1000.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 04:05:34 PM »
Thanks very much Andy.

It has been found that patients with pre-existing liver and kidney problems may be more prone to further problems with Exjade use. It is very important to chelate well before this is a possibility. If high organ iron never occurs, there is are far fewer problems with Exjade use. Serum creatinine should be checked monthly while using Exjade to check for any kidney problems, so please do this as often as possible. Her dosage is now high enough that you will see definite results over the next year. Exjade does work and works well but it takes some time to see the big drops in ferritin but they do come. I know many patients who use Exjade and have ferritin under 1000.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk