Summer is here!! :) BUT with it's own problems :(

• 5 Replies

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
Summer is here!! :) BUT with it's own problems :(
« on: April 26, 2006, 05:38:04 AM »
Summer has arrived in RawalPindi and I suffered it's first attack Yesterday!

I was watching T.V when I felt as if I am going to have that "Summer flu" (as they call it here) and felt running water going down the throat from the nose(sinuses). I held my breath to stop it and redirect it out of the nose. When it came out, I almost freaked out because it was BLOOD!! :shocked and started pouring out with speed like a leaking tap.

Anyway after about 1/2 to 1 hour of treatment with ice packs, cold water and tilting the head back to face towards the sky (ouch!! :( ); the bleeding stopped

Now I am banned to go out from noon to dusk :sigh . The night had it's own physicological toll. I kept thinknig "What if I started to bleed in the sleep and choke on my own blood!?!?" etc

Bleeding from nose(I don't know the medical term) usually happens in summer and I was the first kid in school to get it. Here the temperature can go upto 50o C from May to July. While in Karachi it is even worse.

I doubt that this is related to Thal. but we have more tendency to bleed when our Platelets are down and it takes a while to heal it. (As it happened to me yesterday)

Please share your own experiences (I hope none) and any advice to keep cooool.
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Danielle

• Beta Thal Major
Re: Summer is here!! :) BUT with it's own problems :(
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 11:35:34 AM »
Wow, Sajid, I'm sorry to hear about your nosebleeds.   :(  Just so you know, the medical term for nosebleeds is Epitaxis.

I used to get many nosebleeds when I was a kid, and never knew why, but I always chalked it up to allergies.  I never had a problem with my platelets, since they are usually above the normal value, which is pretty common in Thalassemia.  Your nosebleeds can be due to a few different things, so I suggest going to the doctor.  Instead of being forced to stay indoors, you may just need an allergy medication like Zyrtec or Allegra.  Allergies can cause dryness, which is one of the major causes of nosebleeds.

Also, if I may suggest something to you, the next time you get a nosebleed, try not to tilt your head back.  That will only cause the blood to drain down your throat.  If it happens again, take a seat somewhere, and tilt your head slightly forward.  Pinch the soft part of your nose together with your fingers for a good 5 minutes straight, and see if the bleeding stops.  You can also put an ice pack or cold compress on the bridge of your nose to help the process.  If it's still bleeding after that, hold your nose again in the same position for 10 more minutes.  That should take care of it, but if the bleeding does not stop within 15-20 minutes, then you need to seek medical attention.

Offline Poirot

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 06:10:00 PM »
Anyway after about 1/2 to 1 hour of treatment with ice packs, cold water and tilting the head back to face towards the sky (ouch!! :( ); the bleeding stopped

Now I am banned to go out from noon to dusk :sigh . The night had it's own physicological toll. I kept thinknig "What if I started to bleed in the sleep and choke on my own blood!?!?" etc

Bleeding from nose(I don't know the medical term) usually happens in summer and I was the first kid in school to get it. Here the temperature can go upto 50o C from May to July. While in Karachi it is even worse.

Chief, you certainly have some interesting stories to relate!!! And, an interesting style too  :biggrin

I get nosebleeds occasionally too, during summer, although our city temperature only hits a more "moderate" 35-36 at the high end!! My experience is that this is usually related to dehydration, rather than anything else. So, drinking lots of water during summer helps.

One "home remedy" (wierd one at that) that I find useful to control nosebleeds if they happen ...... stand by a washbasin, with your face pointing downwards, collect water in your palm, and "breathe" the water up the nose (you actually can't, it just goes up and comes right back) .... but, viola your nosebleed is gone!! Works for me, your mileage may vary .....  :biggrin

Cheers

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 05:08:12 AM »
One "home remedy" (wierd one at that) that I find useful to control nosebleeds if they happen ...... stand by a washbasin, with your face pointing downwards, collect water in your palm, and "breathe" the water up the nose (you actually can't, it just goes up and comes right back) .... but, viola your nosebleed is gone!! Works for me, your mileage may vary .....  :biggrin

Yep, this is what I ment when I mentioned "cold water" in the episode above.  :biggrin

By the way, thanks for liking my style. I tend to choose the lighter side of conversation so that it does not worry the reader. Although what happend to me all my life is quite terrifying to me and I hope non of this happens to anyone else!

Take care!
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline sahil

• Thal Major
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 01:38:54 AM »
Hey guys i too have experienced it twice but in The month November and December when its a bit cool here and that too at night both the time. Due to my splenectomy my platelet count is very high like about 11-12 lacs so i bleed blood clots that choke my throat a bit. To control it ice packs work for me but it takes about 45 mins to stop......!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 02:51:32 PM by sahil3101 »
My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.

Offline jzd24

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 12:46:53 AM »
Hey all,
     I used to get terrible nosebleeds as a child that would last a long time. Finally after years, I found the best way to stop them was to lean over the sink (this is gross), and actually like blow my nose into the sink. Blood would come out, but as soon as a kind of clot came out, it would stop. It almost always worked for me in later years. I don't get them very much anymore.   
     Good luck, Sajid   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk