new member and expecting

• 2 Replies
new member and expecting
« on: July 28, 2008, 03:16:42 AM »
hi there! I am a new member, and so excited to have found this website! I am 25 and have thal minor. it seems I cant relate to anyone, until now! I cant believe how so many dr's just dismiss your symptoms, and say your not even supposed to have any. ya right! I am exhausted all the time, short of breath, rapid heartbeat etc. I always wondered how I cant make it up a flight of stairs without huffing and puffing! its not like I have asthma or am even overweight!

anyway I am now pregnant with my 2nd child. baby is fine, but me not so great! my hgb is 8.0 and I am 6 months along. the only advice my hematologist gave me was to take more iron. ya right! feel like they are trying to poison me! anyway luckily I work in a hospital lab and can monitor my blood myself!

glad to have found this website!! thanks for all the great info! finally!!!!!

will love to hear any advice! thank you thank you!!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 05:16:22 AM by natasha w »

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: new member and expecting
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 03:37:21 AM »
Hi Natasha,

I have sent you a personal message separately and I hope you will consider the suggestion.

Please search this site for threads containing "thalassemia minor pregnancy" and you will see much mention of the same symptoms you report. As I always tell minors, please do have iron studies run before taking iron. Many minors do need supplemental iron during pregnancy but many do not and as you said, it is poison when not needed. Your Hb is already quite low and transfusions may be occasionally needed during the pregnancy and even more likely, during the birth. Also, your doctor should be made aware that many minors do experience miscarriage and often this can be prevented by watching for any signs of thrombophilia which can lead to clotting issues than can diminish flow of blood between the uterus and placenta. This is known to happen in major and intermedia and I suspect is the reason for so many miscarriages among minors. Treatment is often as simple as an aspirin per day. I recommend natural vitamin E as a supplement that is both needed for many reasons but is also a mild blood thinner.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Cath_07

• The easiest thing to do in life is to surrender; never surrender!
  • Beta Thalassemia Minor
Re: new member and expecting
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 11:07:55 AM »
Hi Natasha,

Nice to see you at the site.  I hope you will go through a smooth pregnancy.  I am also pregnant (13 weeks)my first pregnancy and a Thal Minor too. Plenty of sleep and eating healthily and drink plenty of water does help.  This site is very informative and does make us feel we are not alone.

All the best to you and your baby. :flowers

Cathy
"Laughter is the best medicine"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk