Queries pertaining to legal issues - thalassaemisa major patients in India

• 5 Replies

Offline Life is Beautiful ~

• Writing on behalf of my daughter
I have got a few queries pertaining to legal issues involving thalassaemia major patients in India:

- Can a thalassaemia major patient be classified as disable and get some of the disability benefits?
- If he or she can be classified as disable then what would be extent of disability in percentages? It is a very standard question as per the Indian Laws pertaining to disability.
- Can the partents of a thal major get the income tax benefits for his / her treatment?
- Is there any special privilege they could get in jobs / studies etc.?

I would appreciate if someone could provide clarifications on these points.
I want to see a definitive cure of Thalassaemia in my lifetime. May God bless all of us.

Offline Tamizhan

Re: Queries pertaining to legal issues - thalassaemisa major patients in India
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 05:33:59 AM »
It would be better, if Indian govt declare Thalassemia as a disability and provide us Job.
We people should join and raise a concern on this.
I never give up!

Offline Dharmesh

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 06:06:04 AM »
Hi LIB,

In India
Thal is not recognized as Disability. So No benefit is available like handicapped people.

The parents can get IT benefits U/s 80DDB upto Rs 40000/- deduction from the Income chargeable to tax.

Unfortunately  there is no benefits or special privilege in jobs and studies , even there is a chance that u may be denied a job if u mention u r thal. However, there are some good employers also.
Start listening your body, it always gives signs

Offline Himanshu Kumar

• Aditi
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 06:38:35 PM »
Thalassemia was included in the disabled and handicapped list last year. They can now avail benefits given to disabled or handicapped person in india.
Regular transfusion, Keeping pre transfusion HB above 10 and Iron Chelation are the three mantras for thals to stay healthy.

Offline Dharmesh

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 06:59:37 AM »
That's Good news, Himanshu kumar,

Can u please share the official announcement.?

To the extent i believe " The Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full Participation) Act, 1995 " do not include Thalassemia.

However,
THE DRAFT RIGHTS OF PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES BILL, 2012 do include Thalassaemia. Which is still waiting to be enacted.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 07:33:17 AM by HANUMANT AASHRIT »
Start listening your body, it always gives signs

Offline Himanshu Kumar

• Aditi
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 05:18:17 PM »

It was a TOI front page news in Bangalore which I cannot forget. One of my office colleagues also called me regarding the same that day. I am not able to trace back the same article.

Regular transfusion, Keeping pre transfusion HB above 10 and Iron Chelation are the three mantras for thals to stay healthy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk