Fermented Papaya Preparation May Alleviate Oxidative Stress in Thalassemia

• 1 Replies

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
There will be a luncheon by invitation only for health professionals at the Singapore thalassemia conference in October, 2008 about the use of fermented papaya preparation (FPP) as an antioxidant in beta thalassemia. I would really like to attend this luncheon but doubt I'll be invited. This fits so much into my ongoing attempts to keep everyone informed of natural and safe methods to improve the health of thalassemics. Fermented papaya preparation (FPP) may have great potential in the battle against the oxidative stresses that occur in thalassemia. These are the stresses that damage organs, reducing their function and eventually leading to the early demise of thalassemics. Preventing this damage has to be a major part of the treatment program for thalassemics and this is something patients can take a real role in, as taking natural supplements is fairly easy to do and can have a measured effect on one's own health. I have often recommended vitamin E and IP6 (phytic acid) as supplements to protect the cells from oxidative stresses and I think we will be hearing a lot more about fermented papaya preparation (FPP) and its use by thalassemics in the coming years.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18384199

1: Phytother Res. 2008 Jun;22(6):820-8.Click here to read Links
    Fermented papaya preparation as redox regulator in blood cells of beta-thalassemic mice and patients.
    Amer J, Goldfarb A, Rachmilewitz EA, Fibach E.

Department of Hematology, Hadassah - Hebrew University Medical Center, Jerusalem, Israel.

Many aspects of the pathology in beta-hemoglobinopathies (beta-thalassemia and sickle cell anemia) are mediated by oxidative stress. Fermented papaya preparation (FPP) was tested for its antioxidant effects: the scavenging effect was determined spectrofluorometrically in a cell-free system using 2'-7'-dichlorofluorescin-diacetate (DCF). Both spontaneous and H(2)O(2)-induced DCF oxidations were decreased by FPP in a dose-dependent fashion. Using flow cytometry, it was shown that in vitro treatment of blood cells from beta-thalassemic patients with FPP increased the glutathione content of red blood cells (RBC), platelets and polymorphonuclear (PMN) leukocytes, and reduced their reactive oxygen species, membrane lipid peroxidation and externalization of phosphatidylserine. These effects result in (a) reduced thalassemic RBC sensitivity to hemolysis and phagocytosis by macrophages; (b) improved PMN ability to generate oxidative burst - an intracellular mechanism of bacteriolysis, and (c) reduced platelet tendency to undergo activation, as reflected by fewer platelets carrying external phosphatidylserine. Oral administration of FPP to beta-thalassemic mice (50 mg/mouse/day for 3 months) and to patients (3 g x 3 times/day for 3 months), reduced all the above mentioned parameters of oxidative stress (p < 0.001 in mice and p < 0.005 in patients). These results suggest that FPP, as a potent antioxidant, might alleviate symptoms associated with oxidative stress in severe forms of thalassemia. Copyright (c) 2008 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.

PMID: 18384199 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE

http://heartspring.net/papaya_antioxidant.html

What exactly is Fermented Papaya Preparation (FPP)?

It’s a specialized nutritional supplement. Backed by more than 30 studies to date, FPP has been used in Japan for decades.6,7,9-15 It’s also an extremely popular supplement in France and other parts of Europe.6 FPP begins with fresh, ripe papayas that are slowly fermented by a natural process that takes several months to complete. The fermented papaya is then dried and ground into a fine powder. This phytonutrient-rich powder can then be sprinkled in the mouth, dissolved, and swallowed

As with IP6, FPP is also an iron chelator. You can read more about it at http://www.osatousa.com/Nutritional_Approach.pdf

A simple mixture of an iron salt and hydrogen peroxide, which can react with many organic
molecules, provoke a whole series of free radical reactions. Immun’Age can sequester iron salts,
scavenge hydrogen peroxide, thus halting further formation of more hydroxyl radical. This
explains why Immun’Age is a potent hydroxyl radical scavenger

I have also attached the pdf file to this post.

I do hope to stop by their booth in the exhibition and will try to learn more. The product can be purchased through their website at
http://www.osatousa.com/buy_online.html
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
Your presence is certainly most required to be at all the seminars and presentations for the benefit of us all.

You got my vote to be the "Thalpal.com memebers' Endorsed Professional" :biggrin

The Papaya is considered a pretty strong stuff around here and is a key ingredient as a meat tenderizer in recipes no wonder it can wreck havoc among the iron ions in the blood :biggrin

Only research can unlock the full potential of the natural products around us and I'm really happy to see such progress. Looking forward to see updates on FPP
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk