Sever stomach pain -Post Spleenectomy

• 7 Replies

Offline poo gill

Sever stomach pain -Post Spleenectomy
« on: September 30, 2008, 03:53:46 AM »
Hi All

AS you are all aware it has been almost 2 months since Prat's spleen was removed. Fortunately he recovered quite fast from the operation, and the stiches and scar's healed as well. However within 20 days he had a massive stomach ache and was almost hospitalized again. The pain was really severe.  Actually I did not  add this part in my previous spleenectomy post, cos I was not sure and did not understnad this pain and I did not want you guys to get concerned. Anyways' it was considered sever gastric pain by Doctor which lasted him almost one week. First 2 days were really bad, so much so that he used to cry in pain and his body used to turn cold. Prat crying in Pain is something big cos his threshhold of pain is above average.. so we all were very confused. He was given a medicine called Cremafin and slowly the pain eased out but it took a week. he vomited during that week.

I did not think to much of it, and thot maybe it is over and he has been running around after operation that is why ih happened, and it can be a normal gastric.

But the pain is back again this month,  and again vomiting(not much once a day),  I am a bit scared to think wether the spleenectomy has gone wrong... actually I have not shared this thing with my family members as I donot want to cause any concern just yet. But I am petrified and I wanted to ask if anyone has gone thru the same post spleenectomy.

Please advise.. I really need help here.. I have spoken to the Doctor's .. they donot know the cause of the pain. Prat's x ray was also carried out it was ok.. If everything is ok then why the pain is recurring????????.

"We are like angels with just one wing. We can only fly by embracing each other." 

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Re: Sever stomach pain -Post Spleenectomy
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 04:39:34 AM »
Puja,

I would definitely have the issue investigated, has he had an ultrasound since the surgery? 
Is he on any medications which could be causing his stomach to act up?  You may also want to rule out some type of
infection or gall bladder stones and even appendicitis. 

Sometimes following an infection or upset stomach glands in the stomach area can become enlarged and painful which in turn lead to further gastro pain, indigestion and cramping. 

Stomach problems can take a while to settle, even when they are not serious.  Just be sure to have a thorough check up and possibly an ultrasound. 

Please keep posting any concerns that you have - and keep us posted on how Prat is doing,
All the best,

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Narendra

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 02:50:46 PM »
Do you know, which part of the stomach was the pain in? Upper or lower part?

He might be taking some medicine (post-spleenectomy) too.. right? Which drugs?

I found an article related to Post Spleenectomy at http://www.tm.mahidol.ac.th/seameo/2005_36_2/28-3421.pdf which indicated some complications that might happen.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 09:44:53 PM »
Was Prat given immunization prior to the spleenectomy?  It is worthwhile to further investigate the stomach aches due to the risk of sepsis.  Is there obvious distention of the belly as well? 

I hope Prat recovers very soon,

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 07:58:06 PM »
I am sorry that your little boy is in pain,i wish him speedy recovery.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline poo gill

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 12:58:30 PM »
Hi

You all wil be glad to hear as of now he is ok, his pain looks like nuthing serious just gastric, we are monitoring him. Hopefull he wil recover soon.

I will keep you posted.
"We are like angels with just one wing. We can only fly by embracing each other." 

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 12:59:57 AM »
Hi Poo Gill ,
thats nice ... its good to hear that he is doing well. ..hope he will back to home soon ...

best regards
take care
umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 04:42:25 AM »
Puja,

Good to know that our little guy is doing better.  Wishing you all the best, I think you and Prat have been through quite enough now. 
 :pray  praying for a speedy and complete recovery very soon.

Sharmin

Sharmin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk