Important chelation information

• 3 Replies

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Important chelation information
« on: October 01, 2008, 02:59:24 PM »
I was given some very important chelation information by Dr. Vichinsky: 

He advised that regular chelation is very important, especially if iron levels are high.  By this he means that one should not go longer than 24 - 48 hours between chelation treatments - especially if ferritin levels are above 2000.  The reason for this is that chelating agents bind and remove free iron.  It is during the time that a chelator is not present in the body when iron damage occurs. 

During long periods of time when a chelating agent is not present to bind the free iron, the iron can potentially harm the organs and tissue of the body.  The liver has a great ability to store large amounts of iron before a lot of free iron is available to roam around in the body to destroy the organs.  I am suspecting that when iron levels get to 2000 the liver no longer has the capacity to store iron.   

Please note that if your ferritin levels are above 2000 do not allow there to be gaps in between your chelation.  Ideally no one receiving regular transfusions should go longer than 48 hours between chelation. 

As per Dr. Vichinsky, certain supplements can help avoid the free radical damage that the unstable free iron can cause - because the supplements such as IP6 can also bind the free iron.  But this does not replace proper chelation.  It is best used in conjunction with your chelation treatment - to help during the hours that a chelating drug is not on board. 

Take good care and feel free to ask other questions,  I will do my best to answer them,

Take care!

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Narendra

Re: Important chelation information
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 03:35:17 PM »
Thanks Sharmin for the valuable input. It is a very very important note about Chelation. Now, with Exjade and Kelfer, Compliance has become better, I hope that all thals get the chelation done. There are issues in some parts of the world, where even blood transfusion is difficult due to blood availability but for those who can afford, please comply with the treatment and be on regular chelation as that is the best chance you are giving yourself(or your child) to live a healthy life.

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 04:05:23 PM »
thanx for the sharing Sharmin ...
its realy usefull info for me ...  as i m having long gaps between chelations therapy through desferal  ...
 thanx again sis....

umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Maako

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 01:02:59 AM »
Sharmin, thanks for the very valuable info:)

We have told several times that chelation is most effective when you take it continuously without gaps of no more than two days.. never been told why it is so and how it happens.

Tc

Maako
Maako

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk