Singapore Conference Report

• 40 Replies

Offline Lena

Re: Singapore Conference Report
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2008, 09:06:55 AM »

Andy,

It is a nice thing to help in any way you can, but in my oppinion it would be really beneficial if you could take part in an international association like TIF. In national organisations, things go on smoothly, especially in Europe and the USA, while internationally people need help and guidance. I believe that federations like TIF are useful when they operate internationally helping in far off regions. That is my experience as 10 years ago I was a member of the TIF Board of Directors.

Of course one should be ready to meet unpleasant tactics,if one participates in any association.You see, the truth is you will have to deal with people and people might get unpleasant even if they act for a good cause.

Good luck.
lena

Offline poo gill

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2008, 10:17:17 AM »
hi guys n gals

Wanted to ask you what is the brand of natural vitamin I should look for. Cos I was giving Evion, but i guess natural is better.

Zaini - is this Tokosovit international brand. Can i find it in India.

"We are like angels with just one wing. We can only fly by embracing each other." 

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2008, 11:59:07 AM »
Puja,

The information on the box says its by Health Aid LTD U.K.Their website is www.healthaid.co.uk

It's imported and marketed in Pakistan by Nutraworld Pvt Ltd.Their website is www.nutraworld.com.pk . When i checked Health aid site,there is not supplement by the name of Tokosvit but they do have Vitamin E tabs,and they claim they are natural.May be when imported,the Nutra World changed the name.

Nutritional information:
 Each capsule contains d-alphatocopheryl acetate 268 mg equivalent of 400 I.U of natural vitamin E in a base of edible vegetable oil.

Hope that helps.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline poo gill

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2008, 12:24:23 PM »
lol, it does help Zaini

I was just asking my mum to chk in india, she said y dont u search on the net. I joked with her mum if i research anymore I will become a doctor on thalassemia.

ANyways I will check and see. Cos Evion also says the same stuff and still it is not natural.
"We are like angels with just one wing. We can only fly by embracing each other." 

Offline Lyanne

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2008, 01:20:43 PM »

Hi Zaini,

How do you know whether the vitimin E is syntetic or natural one i'm using an American brand Kirkland??? is that good?

Thanx for the info..........
LYANNE :yahoo

Offline Zaini

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2008, 03:37:12 PM »
I have never known of any doctor that prescribed good quality vitamins. They prescribe what the drug companies tell them about and usually the vitamins manufactured by giant pharm companies are poor quality. The fact that Merck doesn't tell you if it's d-tocopherol or dl-tocopherol (synthetic) is of some concern. It is also not a tocopherol complex. The label should look something like this.

Vitamin E   400 IU 1,333%
  (as d-Alpha Tocopherol plus d-Beta, d-Gamma,
  d-Delta Tocopherols)

Like Andy said,dl is synthetic,and d is natural.and i remember that evion said dl-alpha.

Thanks a lot Andy,

For so much information and support,right now i am taking evion for vitamin E,but it says dl alpha which i remember you once told is not natural vitamin E,I'll try to search one which is natural.

ZAINI.

Andy,Please correct me if i am wrong.i hope i am not misguiding everyone. :(

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Zaini

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2008, 03:59:44 PM »
From http://www.chiro.org/nutrition/FULL/Natural_vs_Synthetic_Vitamin_E.shtml

Natural vs. Synthetic Vitamin E 

From The November 2001 Issue of Nutrition Science News

by Jack Challem

There is little difference between the natural and synthetic forms of most vitamins. But with vitamin E, natural is better.

On a supplement label, natural vitamin E is listed as d-alpha tocopherol, d-alpha tocopheryl acetate, or d-alpha tocopheryl succinate. In contrast, synthetic forms of vitamin E are labeled with a dl- prefix.

Alpha-tocopherol is the most biologically active form of vitamin E, and its natural form consists of one isomer. In contrast, synthetic alpha-tocopherol contains eight different isomers, of which only one (about 12 percent of the synthetic molecule) is identical to natural vitamin E. The other seven isomers range in potency from 21 percent to 90 percent of natural d-alpha-tocopherol.

This may appear to be arcane nutritional chemistry, but it is key to understanding how the body absorbs natural and synthetic supplements differently. Molecular structure determines how the body uses vitamin E. Researchers have found that natural vitamin E assimilates far better than synthetic versions. Specific binding and transport proteins produced in the liver select the natural d-alpha form of vitamin E and largely ignore all other forms.

In one experiment, Japanese researchers alternately gave natural and synthetic vitamin E to seven healthy young women. It took 300 mg synthetic vitamin E to equal the blood levels achieved by a 100-mg dose of natural vitamin E.[ 1 ]

In other studies at East Tennessee State University, Johnson City, researchers gave a variety of subjects either 30 mg/day or 300 mg/day vitamin E. Each supplement contained half-natural and half-synthetic vitamin E. Both forms were chemically labeled to distinguish one from other vitamin sources.

In blood levels, natural vitamin E increased twice as much as the synthetic form in healthy subjects and pregnant women. In umbilical cords, natural vitamin E levels were three times higher than synthetic vitamin levels.

Blood, however, is not vitamin E's final destination. So in the same study, researchers tracked short-term tissue assimilation of natural and synthetic vitamin E in study participants prior to elective surgery. Tissue takes longer than blood to absorb nutrients, but after seven to 23 days of supplementation, natural vitamin E levels rose higher than synthetic levels.[ 2 ]

Researchers conducted long-term tissue assimilation studies on two cancer patients. One patient took 30 mg/day half natural, half synthetic vitamin E for one year, and the other took 300 mg/day for almost two years. In both patients, blood and tissue levels of natural vitamin E rose twice as high as the synthetic.[ 3 ]

Researchers at Oregon State University, Corvallis, found the human body excretes synthetic vitamin E three times faster than the natural form.[ 4 ]

Although the international unit (IU) standard for vitamin E was meant to equalize the differences between natural and synthetic vitamin E, studies show otherwise. Last year, the National Academy of Sciences recognized natural vitamin E as the standard by which to judge synthetics. Natural vitamin E contains the molecule humans assimilate most effectively.

Jack Challem, known as the The Nutrition Reporterâ„¢, has been writing about vitamin research for 25 years and is the author of Syndrome X: The Complete Nutritional Program to Prevent and Reverse Insulin Resistance (Wiley, 2000).

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2008, 04:56:42 PM »
Lena,

I agree completely about the problem with organizations and the unpleasant tactics that arise and this is one big reason I have not become involved in any organization. By staying independent, I don't have to ask permission and get approval before doing things like sending needles to patients. I also have no time for the endless meetings and discussions that tend to replace real work. I believe in doing, not talking about doing and this is a big difference.

If I am to join any organization, I have to also remain independent, because to me, the important thing is helping people and not getting bogged down with unrelated issues. Since I live in the US, it was suggested I first join CAF, and actually I would feel more comfortable joining CAF first because I feel it is an org that does more to help individuals than TIF does. TIF also has a big problem with losing sight of what is important as they have their inner battles to deal with. This could change in the future but I am not one who would do that. I just cannot put myself into a position where much of my time is taken by meetings and arguments.

My main reason for joining CAF would be to improve my contacts, but realistically, the org people are not really the most informed when it comes to keeping up on medical advances and general health, so the value might be limited in terms of what I can get out of it. However, being part of an org might help me get the ear of doctors and researchers more easily, so this might be a positive. No matter what, I don't want to lose sight of the things that make our group so unique and so useful.

Lena, I would be very happy if you can give me more advice either in posts or pms.

Thank you so much.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Bostonian_04

« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2008, 02:02:55 PM »
Andy,

I feel you should join CAF. You will get to know the right people and the contacts you will make will be invauable to Thalpal members as well.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ? - Plato

Offline maryo0m

• ---SPREAD UR WINGS AND FLY---
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2008, 06:55:08 AM »
Just wana mention that I'M REALLY THANKFULL for your efforts Andy really god bless you
------------Spread your wings and fly-----------

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2008, 11:59:47 AM »
Hi Andy ,
i m realy thankful for your  efforts buddy .
You are a

(its The biggest Diamond)

yeah ! you got right, you are the biggest Gem & prescious gift for thals ...

Best Regards
Take Care
Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk