Extra hour for examinations.

• 7 Replies

Offline sahil

• Thal Major
Extra hour for examinations.
« on: October 13, 2008, 06:36:37 PM »
Hi all,

I recently read in Thalassemics India's book that one thalassemic child (T. Major) managed to get permission for an extra hour during 10th boards. It seems like a formal order has been passed to entitle thalassemics for this concession.

To me, it just feels like taking undue advantage. What do you feel? Do you think it is justified?

PS- 10th boards in India are final year of schooling (in some schools). To get admission in a college one needs to clear the 10th class.
My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Re: Extra hour for examinations.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 11:31:43 PM »
Sahil,

I think that there are 'two sides of the coin' for this question, depending on the scenerio.  I have definitely taught my son to work very hard for everything that he has.  We have been fortunate that he has done very well at school despite missing a lot.  All of the thals that I know are very bright and they come from very supportive families who build their confidence and help expand their minds.  In these cases, any special advantages would not be required for them to do well. 

However, for thals with average intelligence and less support - I may feel differently.  In general, there are many disadvantages for thals.  Thals have to miss school, sometimes their hg levels are low, they may feel lethargic and unwell, they may go through emotional ups and downs - therefore, it's not so bad for these individuals to have a little advantage for a change.  Maybe this one advantage will give these thals a chance to make a better life for themselves. 

What do you guys think?

Sharmin
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 11:37:56 PM by sharmin »
Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 11:45:44 PM »
This happens to be one of the topics we discussed in the patient/parent session on the last day of the conference. Students in my group brought up that in general, it is hard to get any special consideration even though they do have to miss time from school for transfusions and treatments. It was suggested that students talk to school administrators, rather than individual teachers, when they need to arrange for considerations, such as time to make up missed work. The consensus was that thals do need some consideration and that both schools and employers should make efforts to accommodate their needs. I don't think thals should ever begrudge another thal getting "special" treatment, as it is usually necessary. And I don't think this is a thal only issue. Anyone with special medical needs should be allowed to make up time for when they can't be there due to treatment and with thals, overall condition should also be factored in, so that someone who is lagging because of something like low Hb, is given a fair chance to finish assignments and exams. It is a reality of thal life and it should be accepted by all.

By the way, in the US, it is required by law to arrange alternate hours for employees who miss some regular hours due to medical treatment needs.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline sahil

• Thal Major
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 03:07:52 AM »
Hi,

What Sharmin said, I'm a mixture, cause I am not intelligent  :smiley but yeah I have a very supporting family.

To be very honest, I have always been a B grader. Never in my life I've got an A grade. Be it any class. I managed a B grade in my 10th class too. But, I never felt that I should get an hour extra or any kind of favor for anything.

My mom always disclosed my thal status in all the schools I was in and I was allowed to miss schools twice a month for my transfusions. I remember I was in the 3rd standard and my class was on the fifth floor. Mom asked me did I want to use the elevator facility? Answer she got was NO. I never wanted myself to be treated specially.

I agree with Sharmin totally. But at the same time I do feel its like taking undue advantage. But it depends from P2P.

\peace/
My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.

Offline Dori

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 02:52:59 PM »
Hi,

I have 30 min extra during an exam. Before I'd this extra time I couldn't make all the question good enough. I really need this time, because I got those concentration problems and I work slow because of the lack of energy.

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 05:10:57 AM »
Hi Buddies ,
i m very slow at writing as well , thats why i dont like to write . but i m perfectly fast at typing and i enjoy typing ..
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline ye

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 04:20:25 PM »
i prefer not having extra time just because i have thal. i have always wanted to prove to myself that whatever they can do i can do as well or even better. unless, of course, if i have to take an exam and i am very sick but i think i prefer having a special exam in some other day if that is the case.

Offline ye

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 04:28:37 PM »
i prefer not having extra time just because i have thal. i have always wanted to prove to myself that whatever they can do i can do as well or even better. unless, of course, if i have to take an exam and i am very sick but i think i prefer having a special exam in some other day if that is the case.

although i am not saying that this is what should be done. i am just stating my case. it really depends from person to person.  im just lucky that i could maintain my Hb high enough to think clearly during exams and i could easily fix my schedule to avoid conflicts with school.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk