Things you trying

• 50 Replies

Offline Ayesha

• Ayesha's Blog!
Things you trying
« on: October 14, 2008, 05:42:50 PM »
Hello all...

I was curious to know few things, me and Salman (brother) are on Transfusion + Desferal + Desirox right now... we are not taking any natural supplement like wheat grass or anything.

we use calcium, vitamin - c, vitamin - e tablets and Salman having pain in legs he use Pain Killers too

I need to know that what things you are trying, can I have all the details? like tablets you using, natural supplement you using, anything...

1) what is the name?
2) what is the form?
3) what is the dose?
4) what are the changes you felt after using it?
5) is it available easily? if yes then from where you buying it?

Please let me know...!!!
-Ayesha

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Re: Things you trying
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 05:47:58 PM »
Ayesha,

I hope you are both doing well.  Are you two taking vitamin D as well? 

Best,

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Ayesha

• Ayesha's Blog!
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 05:49:07 PM »
we were told to get Vitamin D injection once every three month, so we are on it!
-Ayesha

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 05:51:41 PM »
I was told in Oakland that they are looking closely at pain in adult thals.  I can get more details for you. 

I was also told that taking Centrum Silver is a good idea for thals. 

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 05:58:31 PM »
Hi Sis ,
first of all i want to say that  , please avoid pain killers as much he can . i used pain killer for  long periods and result came i got ulcer  and sensitive stomach  . i can take Fosamax ablets but bcoze of ulcer and stomach i didn't take those pills ... soo please avoid pain killer .. say him to consult to phsyio-therapist and for light exercises .. secondly keep a check on his BMD ( Bone Mass Density ) .. its a test to check the condition of the bone ....  if you remember that i mentioned i had the  pains in my joints and legs so i took  pain killer for long periods , cause of that pain was the weak bones , when doctor treated me for weak bones , it start disapearing .. and now you all know that i m back to play cricket and Soccer with my cousins ... i m saying again , please avoid pain killers ... it could create more complications in his case .... And please dont forget to forward my message of GET WELL SOON to Salman .. and say himm that no need to worry bro , on my behalf,,
please let me know if i missed something to tell about ....

Best Regards
Take care
Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline sahil

• Thal Major
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 06:07:02 PM »
Hello Ayesha,

Chelation, Blood transfusion and Calcium tablets. These are the three things I am on like other thals ;-)

For calcium I use, Alendronate tablets. These are once a week tablets. In India its manufactured by Cipla under the brand name "Osteofos". The power of the tablet is 70mg.

For chelation I was on combination therapy for the last 36 months. Then this June I started off with Asunra (Exjade)

\peace/
My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.

Offline Ayesha

• Ayesha's Blog!
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 06:10:20 PM »
Sharmin: what is Centrum Silver?

Umair: yea he avoid pain killers, he was on Fosamax too but Fosamax is quiet expensive so we shifted him onto Reventa 70mg (same formula) and cheap :), once a week!

Sahil: yeah my brother is on Reventa 70mg once a week, I guess you are talking about the same thing!
-Ayesha

Offline sahil

• Thal Major
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 06:15:55 PM »
Sahil: yeah my brother is on Reventa 70mg once a week, I guess you are talking about the same thing!

Yep Ayesha, I was talking about the same drug ;-)

Apart from Reventa 70mg, is Salman on any other calcium tablets?

\peace/
My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 06:20:18 PM »
Hey Sis,
when Salman  feel's the pain , is it about half hour after having Meal or all the day ?? ...
please note this as well .. ..
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Ayesha

• Ayesha's Blog!
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 06:22:26 PM »
Sahil: well he is choosy in taking chewing tablets, so sometimes he takes Qalsan [Calcium Carbonate:1250mg]

and hey Sharmin, we take One Alpha® (alfacalcidol) (vitamin D) once every day :)!

Umair: all the day sometimes and sometimes never :)
-Ayesha

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 06:27:19 PM »
Ayesha,

Centrum Silver is a multivitamin, it contains most of the vitamins and mineral thals should be on - minus the iron. 

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline sahil

• Thal Major
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 06:49:15 PM »
Hi,

I don't think Centrum Silver is available in India. But, still I'll search. If in case its not available, any other way I can get it, if I want to start with it?

\peace/

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 12:08:52 AM »
Ayesha,

Like Umair said, I think that Salman should be have a bone density test.  Is the pain in his joints or the large bones of the leg?  Pain killers are not good in the long run, they can be bad for the liver too.  Also, when people take pain killers (or even tylenol) their body can experience pain when they are not on the medication (withdrawal).   Weight bearing exercise (small amount of weight) may be beneficial to rebuild the bones. 

Sahil,  check out this site regarding centrum silver:
http://www.centrum.com/

Sharmin
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 12:21:10 AM by sharmin »
Sharmin

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 02:17:38 AM »
Hi Sharmin ,
i wasn't talking about the weight bearing exercise , weight bearing exrcise could create other problemes like fracture or anything else bcoze his bones are weak so he should avoid weight bearing exercises .. the exercises mentioned above are light and only body moving exercises , when i was admited in hospital my doc refer's me to a phsyio he told me some neck , back bone and knee exercises .. Salman should have to visit a phsyio with the refference of his Dr , bcoze doctor's advice will help phsyio to advice exact exercises ....

@ Ayesha
if his bone are weak and soft , then being late to go to doc may be create more complications like bone deformations.. i have a history of fracture i my back bone just bcoze of walking , when i was suffering to the situation you mentioned ..i also have deformation just above my left knee bcoze of  walking in unnatural way bcoze of pains ...  he need attention on time ...
all the day sometimes and sometimes never

it is the same to me ... he need a BMD test . hey try rich of vitamin-D vegetables and fruits .. may it will help him as well ... please check this link to find vitamin-D rich fruits and vegetales ...

http://www.healthalternatives2000.com/vitamins-nutrition-chart.html

Best Regards
Take Care
Umair

===========
Umair

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 02:28:14 AM »
Whooops, good thing Umair caught that.  I guess weight bearing exercise is preventative and may not be best in Salman's case.  Thanks Umair:)

Sharmin
Sharmin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk