BABY BORN TO CURE HIS BROTHER

• 105 Replies

Offline Laura

BABY BORN TO CURE HIS BROTHER
« on: October 20, 2008, 07:15:08 PM »
Hello everybody!!!

I want to talk about something that has recently happened in Spain for the first time.

Last week in Spain a baby called Javier was born. His brother Andrés is a 6 years old child affected by Thalassemia Major. Javier was conceived by genetic selection in order not to have thalassemia and be compatible with his brother. Javier was born on the past 12th October and in 2 or 3 weeks Andres is going to get a bone-marrow transplant from his brother.

I've talked to the parents and they are very proud of their children and very happy because they are completely sure that Andrés is going to accept his brother's bone-marrow and is going to live a normal person's life.

The whole country is happy for them. Well, the whole country but the Catholic Church who said that in order to conceive Javier, a lot of embryos have been killed.

What do you think? Is it worth having a treatment to have a healthy child who could save your thalassemic son or, according to the Catholic Church, we should accept what we have and do not think about finding other ways of getting well? What would have happened if it would had been your country? Would your religion have accept it or it would have said something against this "treatment baby"?

I'd like to know your opinion it because these days I'm hearing lots of people talking about this and giving their opinion without even knowing what Thalassemia is.

Thanks,

Laura.
The most important thing in life is not what you achieve but the fact of fighting for it.

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
Re: BABY BORN TO CURE HIS BROTHER
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 12:33:17 PM »
Laura,

I don't know about religious point of view,but personally i think that it's totally normal,there is nothing wrong with it,a child is getting a cure well deserved,how could we say that it's un ethical to give a kid a chance to live normal,with out a disorder.At least this is what i think.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 01:46:28 PM »
Hi Laura

I live in Spain too and the true is that this news was very commented here.
I personally accept this form of cure and am vary happy for this family and hope everything will be ok with their children and with other which are in the program too. If I was in the place of this parents i would do the same and i don´t think that is wrong decision.All we want the best for our dear persons and is our obligation to try all the ways, all the advances that the medicine ( traditional and alternative) gives us and if the facundation by selecting  embryons is one of them to cure one child and have other health kid I think that its great oportunity and if the situation and the family accept it. Why not? And my best regards for the family for the courage and no matter what will say one or other person.
 I´m christian too, but christian ortodox, not catholic, I belive in God and I´m religios but, in this case I don´t agree with the church. By personal poit of vew i don´t accept abort, but in the case it´s embryons, and it´s the only way that exist for the moment for cure about Andres, because they, haven´t compatible donor.  I don´t think that the people have to speak about if it´s ethic or not, because it´s not question for example by select between one or other type of cure.
 Many familis concive babys by invitro, for example in IVM they prepare the max number of embrions  but not all tha embryons are selected, this who was´not selected are conserved  in bank for 2 years, and if the par wants to save them for more time they make new declaration and can conserve them 6 years more. So when pass this 8 years if they did´t use the embryons they have to decide if the embryons will be destroyed or also can donate them to other par.
 That´s the protocol in my country, I don´t know in details about other countrys, but if everything is in order of the protocol I don´t see nothing wrong in concieving baby by this way.
 It can be vary good way for other familys to cure their kids or have other health and also for patients to have health kids, and i think that it´s great.
 If you´re interested in this theme in the document section of the forum I published one course of thalassemia and in it there is a lecture of Dr. Skourdis (which was one of the lectures in Singapure) you can find more information and even there are 2 cases in the world that thal moms have 3 tweens (sorry, i don´t know the word, in spanish is trillizos)

It´s sad that from a good news like this about the big advance of the medicine here and the most important about this family and many others, in place to talk about that, and the thalassemia the most of the people even did not knew that its so big advance in the treat of thalassemia and what exactly tha talassemia is. And also was sad that in the TV there was so wrong information about the disease.

Now i´m doing one studys in one course and practice in one of the biggest hospitals in Madrid and talked on this theme with one of my lectores when it was anounced the news.
 She is doctor, and works in Ministry of health, but also is mother and catholic, but no matter she is catholic she didn´t accept the point of vew of the church.
 I dont´n now about the religion point of vew but from human point of vew this advance is something very positive, and if this advance can be accessible for more people that need it, it will be great.
 Many times we judge, but until we are not in the situation that  we judge or  in other similar  we can´t  understand  and so many times judging we make mistakes, but like  people says " It´s human make mistakes, and divine forgive.

I hope Javiers family will forgive and wish them and the others all the best

Best regards

un abrazo muy grande :)  :hugfriend

Tsveta

Offline maryo0m

• ---SPREAD UR WINGS AND FLY---
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 10:41:29 PM »
Hi Laura,

well Im muslim and if I was in these perants shoe I would do what they did for both of my kids to live happy and healthy and have each other in life after I'm gone.

but you've mentioned :Well, the whole country but the Catholic Church who said that in order to conceive Javier, a lot of embryos have been killed.

and in Islam we have that its against our religion to kill an unborn child UNLESS there is a danger on the mother.......

but you're saying that the baby wasn't killed he just went under sugery to help his brother so its a happy ending god bless  :biggrin
------------Spread your wings and fly-----------

Offline kabir_love

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 08:53:52 AM »
is it right?? or its wrong.. what bullshit. ask the parents what they had been through to see there little angels getting pricked and pricked.  then liver check. heart check.  cbc..  ferriten level..  other can just simply comment in the name of god, humanity. bull shit.  isnt living healthy life is the god way? or suffering till end would be justified by church people?

an embryos or many were killed. they must have felt pain? did they, or they were consious right? saving a life is beter or this would be wiser?

well. what ever. i support parents for there bold steps and my action .. to give more moral support as what they been through till the time and the time coming up..

Offline Zaini

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 01:10:42 PM »
Hi Micky,

How's Kabir doing?

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 01:36:57 AM »
What a beautiful thing - a baby being born and curing his brother at the same time. 

Mickey,  I hope our adorable Kabir is doing very well.  God bless.

Sharmin
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 01:42:08 AM by sharmin »
Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 03:19:52 AM »
This is an issue that this group does have an official stance on as we carry on the legacy of Lisa Cammilleri. Not only would Lisa have strongly supported the use of IVF to implant embryos  that could lead to the birth of a child who could be a donor and provide a cure for its sibling, but Lisa would have also been in favor of using the unused embryos in stem cell research to help find a new cure for thalassemia and other illnesses. As caretakers of Lisa's group, we have a duty to represent the beliefs that Lisa had on this subject.

A woman loses an egg every month. Nobody cares. Take that egg, fertilize it in a laboratory and suddenly many people have some great conflict. Mickey, you're right. It is BS.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Lyanne

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 08:49:39 AM »

I totally agree with you Andy.......it's really nothing to have an issue with I mean if it could save more lives why not right???? :wink
LYANNE :yahoo

Offline Lilibel

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 01:04:46 PM »
It is a very long time now that I don't come here  :dunno

My brother and my sister-in-law are in the situation of these parents.

They are expecting a baby conceived by in vitro fertilization. The embryo was "selected" for its compatibility with my goddaughter (their daughter) but also for the fact that he or she is not thal. The birth is scheduled for late April and the pregnancy is going well for now.

For now, they do not want to proceed with the transplantation of stem cell because of the cumbersome therapy around the transplant. The umbilical cord blood will be retained until my goddaughter decides to intervention. Her parents do not have the courage to take this decision, something the whole family respects.

This child is awaited with great impatience and love. First, because it will reconcile my brother and my sister-in-law with the miracle of life and secondly because it represents the hope of a possible cure for their daughter, Sarah.

It is the first time that a baby will born in these condition in Belgium.

May I ask you thoughts and prayers for my family ?

Thank you.  :hugfriend

Offline Zaini

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 06:00:04 PM »
Wishing the best best best luck,I am very happy for your brother and sister in law,we are here to support them  :hugfriend,best of luck with the little angel.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 06:27:27 PM »
Our prayers are with your family  :hugfriend
 :pray :pray :pray :pray :pray :pray :pray :pray :pray :pray :pray :pray :pray :pray :pray

Sharmin

Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 06:46:11 PM »
Hi Lili,

So nice to see you back.  :smileblue
I think it is a very hard decision to decide for bone marrow transplant, especially when the child is doing well with treatment. I hope the parents never feel pressured to make a decision. It is one that can only be made after much thought, consultation and prayer. We wish the parents the very best and and look forward to hearing about the birth of the new child.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 09:25:45 PM »
Wishing You best of luck , May God shower his blessing on you and your child and bless your child with good health and successsful treatments .. :pray

Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Kathy11

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 10:13:38 PM »
Hi Sharmin
My prayers are with you and Little"" A" I hope he is better today,
I know how worrysome it can be;  be patience he will be better soon.

I , too, worry about my  two of adult   sons  they are always sick with something or another  they 've been diagnosed with thal minor and one has sickle cells traits,

Everytime they are sick I feel so guilty and I apologize to them .they will tell me Mum it's not your faults,So I know how it feels to watch and feel helpless.

It appears that the doctor is not helping them .same response  as I got. Its asymptomatic  not to worry,
My only salvations is prayers and hope for the best,

Kathy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk