A New Administration Coming in Washington Means New Hope for Stem Cell Research

• 19 Replies

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
This just in. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081109/ap_on_el_pr/obama

President-elect Obama's transition chief said Sunday the incoming administration is looking to reverse President Bush's executive orders on stem cell research, oil and gas drilling and other matters.

John Podesta said the president can use such orders to move quickly without waiting for Congress to act, highlighting the extraordinary powers a president can wield beyond signing legislation approved by Congress. Podesta said people should expect Obama to use those powers to reverse many policies of the Bush administration.

"I think across the board, on stem cell research, on a number of areas, you see the Bush administration even today moving aggressively to do things that I think are probably not in the interest of the country," Podesta said in a broadcast interview.

"There's a lot that the president can do using his executive authority without waiting for congressional action, and I think we'll see the president do that," Podesta said.

President Bush has limited federal spending on stem cell research, a position championed by opponents of abortion rights. Obama has supported the research in an effort to find cures for diseases such as Alzheimer's.

Obama will bring a new direction for the US and it can't come too soon.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Andy,

This is great!  This is what are hopes were - that Obama would lead us in a new and better direction.  The man has his work cut out for him, he has come in to such a mess but I hope he can make the difference. 

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Dori

Indeed, that's really great. This will bring new hope.

:)

Offline Nur

his is so exciting. I am hoping soo much that this will be real soon.

:pray

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
hummmm .... its great to hear that ... Goood News
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Dori

Yes, I have read that.

:)

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Obama has done some very important things so far - I am hopeful that he will make more changes (in terms of funding and support) that will help stem cell and gene therapy research....
Sharmin

Offline Narendra

Monday seems to be a big day as seems like President Obama will overturn Bush's restriction on Stem Cell Research

From:- http://www.boston.com/news/politics/politicalintelligence/2009/03/obama_to_end_st.html

President Obama on Monday will overturn his predecessor's restrictions on stem cell research, various media outlets are reporting this afternoon.

In 2001, then-President Bush limited federal funding for such research to existing lines of stem cells. Obama is expected to allow the National Institutes of Health to pay for scientists to study hundreds of lines of cells that have been developed since then.

The move will fulfill a campaign pledge that Obama used to differentiate himself with John McCain, his Republican rival. “Barack Obama and Joe Biden believe that embryonic stem cell research represents real hope to millions of families dealing with debilitating conditions," his campaign said.

Offline Dori

Yes, I have heard that too. I think it's a good change.

Offline KHALIFA

• ONE FOR ALL AND ALL FOR ONE
   BRAVOOOOO   Mr.Obama  :yahoo :veil :clap :clap :clap :boogie :party :stars :high5 :happydance
                                       HOPE HE JOIN OUR SITE ONE DAY

KHALIFA
                                     STATE OF KUWAIT
RED_PILOT

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Today it is official and Obama has lifted the limits on funding for stem cell research. Maybe now the US can take a real role as a world leader in this very important research.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Sharmin

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
Well thats great  :biggrin.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk