Exjade and Water

• 25 Replies

Offline Qiji

Re: Exjade and Water
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2008, 04:20:17 PM »
you can conect with me on this E-mail ( qiji_soran@hotmail.com )
and I will be thanks if any one send methe Exjade manual user

Qiji

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2008, 08:16:44 PM »
Hi Qiji,
 :welcome to the Forum , i hope you will find all the answers of your concerns . and you will like the people of this forum . you will find them realy caring loving and helping ... its nice to meet you qiiji and hope that you will like to stay with us as well ... here is a link   its  the exjade manual/ leaflet , it will help you to understand using exjade ..... that file is attached with my post just see below and download . you need to have adobe acrobat reader to view this document . if you dont have that software then tell me i will try to find other ways to provide this file in another format ....

Best Regards
Take Care
Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Qiji

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2008, 09:50:52 PM »
thank you Umair thanks for your help, I have ask you can I don't use Exjade every day
Qiji

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2008, 10:17:21 PM »
Hi Qiji ,
exjade is once a day ,daily oral chelator , i dont know abt your dosage so couldn't say anything abt it .. you have to consult a doctor near u before starting exjade , its neccessory to find out and have an eye to examin that if exjade is leaving side-effects oon you ... it will b good to start with low dose and then move towards hig doses slowly . to avoid any side-efects , or minimize the chance of side-effects .... also  please let us to know abt your bod weight and age .. that is wat ,which will help to get right dosage details for you .....

Best Regards
Take Care
Umair
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Qiji

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2008, 10:34:43 PM »
Thanks Umair

« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 11:27:44 PM by Qiji »
Qiji

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2008, 11:54:57 PM »
 its a little piece of informationn, here is the link, to read complete document ....
http://www.drugs.com/pro/exjade.html?printable=1

Exjade Dosage and Administration

Starting Dose
The recommended initial daily dose of Exjade is 20 mg/kg body weight.

Maintenance
After commencing initial therapy, it is recommended that serum ferritin be monitored every month and the dose of Exjade adjusted if necessary every 3 to 6 months based on serum ferritin trends. Dose adjustments should be made in steps of 5 or 10 mg/kg and should be tailored to the individual patient’s response and therapeutic goals (maintenance or reduction of body iron burden). If the serum ferritin falls consistently below 500 mcg/L, consideration should be given to temporarily interrupting therapy with Exjade. Doses of Exjade should not exceed 30 mg/kg per day since there is limited experience with doses above this level.

Administration Instructions
Exjade should be taken once daily on an empty stomach at least 30 minutes before food, preferably at the same time each day. Tablets should not be chewed or swallowed whole. Exjade should not be taken with aluminum-containing antacid products. Doses (mg/kg per day) should be calculated to the nearest whole tablet. Tablets should be completely dispersed by stirring in water, orange juice, or apple juice until a fine suspension is obtained. Doses of <1 g should be dispersed in 3.5 ounces of liquid and doses of ≥1 g in 7.0 ounces of liquid. After swallowing the suspension, any residue should be resuspended in a small volume of liquid and swallowed.

Your welcome Qiji ,

Best Regards
Take Care
Umair
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 12:06:04 AM by Andy »

===========
Umair

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2008, 12:04:44 AM »
Qiji,

Are you taking Exjade under a doctor's supervision? All chelators need to be used under a doctor's supervision because all chelating drugs have side effects in some patients. With Exjade, serum creatinine needs to be checked regularly to make sure it is not harming the kidneys. Also, 20mg/per kg is a maintenance dose and won't lower ferritin, while 30 mg/kg will lower ferritin levels. It should be taken daily. Taking lower doses won't do much good at all.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2008, 12:08:19 AM »
Qiji,

As Umair has said, Exjade is used daily (as per the documentation that Umair has provided).  It should be taken under the supervision of your doctor and your doctor should also control your dosage.  Exjade is usually started at a dose of 20mg per kilogram of the patient's body weight, if this is well tolerated then the dose is increased to 30mg per kilogram of the patient's body weight.    My understanding is that exjade is effective at 30mg/kg 7 days a week, therefore I don't know if it is good enough to take it only a few days a week.  

Also, any patient on exjade MUST have a blood test (cbc, metabolic panel, ferritin) and urine test done every 3 weeks.  If you are going to use exjade and desferal in combination - this MUST be prescribed by your doctor and the patient MUST be followed very carefully.  

My 10 year old is on combination exjade daily/desferal 5X week - therapy and he is being watched very carefully. So far things seem to be going well, and his ferritin seems to be dropping (we will know for sure at his 6 month follow up).  But I must stress that a research team in Oakland and our doctor here watch him like a hawk because he is on this treatment as part of a trial.  The researchers in Oakland are constantly keeping in touch with me via phone calls and emails, the doctor in Oakland has called me at home to make sure that we are doing well.  

I hope that this information helps, best of luck with your treatment,

Sharmin

Sharmin

Offline Qiji

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2008, 12:28:21 AM »
thank you Andy and thank you Sharmin
Qiji

Offline Qiji

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2008, 12:31:47 AM »
thank you Sharmin for a good information
But I'm dont take it by myself my doctor said to me to take it like that.
Qiji

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2008, 12:34:53 AM »
Qiji,

I am glad that your are taking Exjade under the guidance of your doctor.  Are you just beginning Exjade? If so, then this may be your doctors way of starting you off - with this low dose to see how your body reacts.  However, in the long run such a dose is not effective so eventually I hope that he will increase it. 

Best,

Sharmin
Sharmin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk