Exjade and Aluminum

• 12 Replies

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Exjade and Aluminum
« on: December 09, 2008, 02:29:09 AM »
Andy,

I have just realized that when my son began taking exjade he was experiencing nausea for a few hours after taking it - his pediatrician was giving him ranitidine for the nausea.  Not to mention that my husband was mixing the exjade with a metal spoon - and then leaving the metal spoon in the juice while it dissolved  :wah :wah.  I have just recently learned from your posts that he should not have aluminum with exjade - but ranitidine actually has aluminum in it.   Good thing that we are learning!!   I will be sure not to give him ranitidine anymore - can taking aluminum with exjade actually cause harm to the patient or does it simply interfere with the effectiveness of the exjade?   And the metal spoon that was left in the mixture several times, could that have caused any harm? 

Now we use only plastic!

Also, is using aluminum foil bad our health? 

Thanks,

Sharmin
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 02:35:45 AM by sharmin »
Sharmin

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
Re: Exjade and Aluminum
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 03:32:43 AM »
Sharmin what i know about alumium foil, is that it shouldn't be heated while it is covering the food as when we cook food in an oven and you cover the dish with foil as the heat releases aluminum in food. I know this information but actually i can not remember the source but being in the safe side don't expose foil to heat.

As for the exjade, i am happy that you realized that this medicne has aluminum and don't worry better late than never and i think thatyou will be able to judge the difference in the next ferritin test.

Generally aluminum is one of the main reasons of causing Alzheimer too

Manal

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 04:10:29 AM »
Thanks Manal,

Actually the metal spoon incident and the Ranitidine all occurred during the first few weeks after little A began taking exjade - we have not really given him the ranitidine since then because his nausea is much better now, especially because we are letting him sleep after taking his exjade. 

Thank you so much for the tips about aluminum - I have actually been using aluminum foil to wrap food to cook it - (sweet potato, turkey etc).  Now I know not to do so! 

Sharmin  :hugfriend 
Sharmin

Offline Manal

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 04:18:57 AM »
You are welcome my friend, wishing little A all the best with exjade

manal

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 04:59:06 AM »
Hi Sharmin,

The problem with metals and Exjade is that Exjade reacts with the metals, reducing its effectiveness. In effect, the Exjade has already chelated metal from the container or spoon, or reacts with aluminum in the digestive tract, thereby weakening the dose of Exjade to the patient. If you mix it with metal, you are actually introducing chelated metals into your system, which your body then has to excrete.

Nausea is the most common side effect with Exjade and it is something that patients learn to live with if it persists. Ambareen is one who did switch to taking it at night and was able to reduce the nausea that way.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Dori

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 11:19:12 AM »
Sharmin,

That's only bad for the spoon. (My dad explained that to me. He's a chemistry and science expert (and maths).)

Ambareen, I am thinking of that for so long! I think I am going to do that, because I feel nausea all day long. And what time do you take it and do you got any tips?

We cook with induction (I hope it's the right word) so we don't have lots to choose. When I cook I don't use metal things.

Offline Manal

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 03:12:28 AM »
Dore, what do you mean by ''we cook by induction''?

manal

Offline Dori

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 11:33:19 AM »

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 06:44:49 PM »
Yeah i have seen that here too,it's called an electric hob here.And i think you have to use non stick pans on it with wooden spoons?
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Manal

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 01:57:55 AM »
Thanks Dore, i too didn't know its name in English :biggrin

manal

Offline Dori

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 10:15:08 AM »
What are non stick pans
My daddy is against wooden spoons so we got a few spoons from `tefal` to stir in the pan.
My English is bad today, and the keyboard is so naughty. I dont understand why it is  :huh

Offline maha

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 01:11:14 PM »
Teflon or baflon coated pans are called non stick pans as food doesn`t stick to the pan whilst cooking.
take care
maha

Offline Dori

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 04:07:34 PM »
Aha, thank you.

Use that pan a lot and we got also one real french pan. It's from kind of stone.
My mother cooks a lot with the other pans and my dad LOVES the pressure cooker. I am scared of it, haha :shy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk