Exjade and Supplements

• 13 Replies

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Exjade and Supplements
« on: December 11, 2008, 04:10:04 PM »
Andy,

Little A has his Exjade at 6:30am every morning - we then let him sleep for 30 minutes.  He has his breakfast at 7:20am and I usually give him his supplements with his breakfast:  B complex 50, vitamin E 200IU, Omega 3-6-9, and Osteocare (300mg Calcium, 150mg Magnesium, 6mg Zinc, 150IU Zinc). Is it okay that he gets all of these supplements within an hour after having his Exjade?  I am especially wondering if the Osteocare would interfere with the Exjade. 

He gets his second dose of Osteocare (same amount) in the evening with dinner, at that time I also give him Carao.  He gets IP6 between meals and vitamin C with his desferal.  I am especially wondering if the Osteocare would interfere with the Exjade when taken in the morning.   

Thank you,

Sharmin

Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Exjade and Supplements
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 04:56:02 PM »
The recommendations for Exjade is to wait 30 minutes before having any food so if you're waiting one hour, it shouldn't cause any problems. Ideally, supplements taken with food should be taken after the meal on a full stomach. This helps to prevent any stomach upset that some supplements may cause.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Lena

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 05:12:54 PM »
 Andy,

would it be possible to review when each supplement is to be taken? Because I happen to know that supplements and vitamins are  better to be taken on an empty stomach to make sure there is a better absorption. Calsium also is better to be taken far from coffee, tomatoe and dairy product. Is that correct? This is a matter that provokes lot of questions as supplements and vitamins are so many and one has to spread them during the day.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 10:03:39 PM »
Thanks Lena:)  That is true some supplements such as IP6 are best taken on an empty stomach while others are best taken with food.

I guess I am not sure whether the minerals in Osteocare (cal/mag, zinc) have an impact on the effectiveness of Exjade because chelators interact with them  ??? ???  Am I making any sense??

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 10:30:13 PM »
Most supplement labels instruct to take with meals. I do not think there is any less absorption when taken with meals because the digestive system still has to process it the same, and with or without food in the stomach, digestion takes place the same. It is suggested that IP6 be taken on an empty stomach because it can react with other foods, lessening its effect.

Sharmin, I think that as long as you wait a minimum of 30 minutes after taking Exjade, that it gives it enough time to pass through the stomach before other foods and supplements that might react with it, are consumed.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 10:39:02 PM »
Thanks for explaining Andy:) 

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Lena

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 06:38:53 AM »
Thank you Sharmin and Andy,

The truth is I am a little perplexed. My doctors recommend to take supplements on an empty stomach and I have transferred supplements and vitamins before meals now. However,I am not sure this is correct..  I am positive only for zinc, as its label says  it should be taken 20 minutes before meal.I am not sure for the rest but it is possible we pay much attention to this.By the way, what is IP6? I don't think I take that unless we have it here on a different label.

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 11:30:30 AM »
Hi buddies ,
i dont know abt other supplements but i think that , Vitamin-E should be taken with meal and Vitamin-D should b taken a little before meal ,... the reason of taking Vitamin-D before meal in my mind is , Vitamin-D help's the bones to Absorp Calcium and when we r going to drink milk or going to take meal it will help your system to absorp maximum Calcium to that diet ...
and the reason of taking Vitamin-E with meal will help your system to prevent iron absorption and other free redicals from that food .. i hope i make the sense ...

Best Regards
Take Care
Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 11:32:01 AM »
Hi Lena

IP6 (Phytic acid) is a member of vitamin B family. It is natural chelator which is used togather with the other chelators ( desferal. Kelfer/L1, exjade, Asunra ). It is also an antioxidant, helps in boosting the immune system. It inhibits cancer growth especially breast and prostate cancer. It is taken on empty stomache because it could binds with food (protein) and therefore changes its efficiancy. It has no side effects.

You can read about it in these links and feel free to ask whatever you want :wink

http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=1177.0;highlight=ip6

http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=1229.0;highlight=ip6

http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=874.0;highlight=ip6

http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=819.0;highlight=ip6

http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=653.0;highlight=ip6

manal

Offline Lena

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 12:00:07 PM »
Thank you nice friend, thank you Manal,

I'll read all the sites you mentioned Manal and search for IP6 although I have not heard it to circulate in Greece. Perhaps I am wrong and find it, insaallahou.
(I am deep in arabic now as I am translating into Greek a book by the Palestinian author Sahar Khalifa).
Thanks again.

Offline Manal

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 12:48:56 PM »
You are welcome Lena :hugfriend You must be a really talented person as the ability of translating emotions, feeling, ...of the authors to another different language isn't an easy thing to do. Good Luck Lena with the book. By the way the Greek society is big here in Egypt especially in Alexandria where most of the shops and restaurants are in Greek names. Hope we can meet one day :hugfriend

Manal

Offline Lena

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 04:34:52 PM »
Thank you Manal for your kind words. I know about Greeks in Alexandria, I was there one year ago for arabic lessons-my teacher is a professor at al Azhar University.I loved being in Aliskandariya, visiting the Library and eating arabic food, ful and falafel.Of course I also visited the Greek Community there.I intended to visit Cairo this year but my trip was cancelled.I hope I''ll make it soon,in sah al lahu.

Offline Manal

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 11:51:51 PM »
Waw Lena :biggrin, please when you arrange another one , let me know. We can arrange meeting togather  :wink

manal

Offline Lena

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 04:46:42 PM »
I'll be so glad to meet you Manal. I'll certainly let you know.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk