Hey, all Aussie football fans .....

• 67 Replies

Offline Poirot

Re: Hey, all Aussie football fans .....
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2006, 10:00:04 AM »
We love a good underdog... so just as well the Aussies lost to Brazil!   :winky
Will be very interesting to see what happens in Group E and F indeedly!  If only they would let us get some sleeeep.....

Yeah, it is good that the Aussies let Brazil win that one  ...... what with Ronaldo having become a blimp and Ronaldinho just running around like a headless chicken, Brazil are clear underdogs here ......  :wink

Half of the matches start off around midnight here, so that should be early morning in Oz, right? The solution is to sleep at work  :biggrin

Offline Poirot

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2006, 08:09:12 AM »
Good luck for the match today, Socceroos!!!

:thumbsup

Offline floWer

• Person with Thal Major
  • There's an answer if you reach into your soul
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2006, 11:37:12 PM »
What a match. 

Once again the referrers were against us in awarding a penalty shot to a dummy fall in the last 3 seconds of the game.

Offline SalD

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2006, 03:13:48 AM »
Ah what can you do??  The refs are only human... as they keep proving! Italy was unlucky getting that red card too, and we didn't manage to take advantage of that opportuniuty thanks to Italy's excellent defence.  Sooo disappointing, but great to see the Soccerroos have a crack at it!   We've come a long way and it was sooo exciting to see!

Who to barrack for now??... :huh
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 06:40:07 AM by SalD »

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2006, 05:33:23 AM »
Looks like I under estimated the Aussies.

What a match! They had the game drawn to Italy; one of the best teams.

I guess it was unlucky for the Aussies to get the penlety in the closing moments of the game :( !
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Poirot

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2006, 05:57:57 AM »
Flower/SalD, what a match, alright ..... only to end in heartbreak.  :wah I was rooting for the aussies, through out.

But, you gotta admire the Italians' strategy (however hateful their playing style maybe) - they only defended from c. 55 mins (when they went down to 10 men) to about 87 mins and they started attacking, and managed to squeeze in a goal (however sneaky the manner may have been).

My first reaction was that the referree was blind, too, but I think he gave the penalty for obstruction of the Italian striker ..... after all the australian defender just lay down in the way of the striker, causing him to trip ..... nearly as bad as if he had tripped him direct. But, still heartbreak.......

But, well done the socerroos .... who would have believed it!!!!

Poirot

Offline SalD

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2006, 06:45:37 AM »
But, you gotta admire the Italians' strategy (however hateful their playing style maybe) - they only defended from c. 55 mins (when they went down to 10 men) to about 87 mins and they started attacking, and managed to squeeze in a goal (however sneaky the manner may have been).

Good point Poirot!  They did a good job. 
I actually don't know A GREAT DEAL about soccer (aka football), but even if it was obstruction do you normally get a penalty for that?  I need to learn the rules a bit better!  :rolleyes  Anyway, no point crying over spilt milk - the Italians won!  I saw a very funny email movie with the Italian team training, and every time the coach blew the whistle they would all fall dramatically on the ground and grab their shins - very funny! 

All in all it was very exciting!  And the aussie lads did give it their best!  The drama of the world game!!

Sajid, I LOVE that picture!   :crackup
And at least now we won't have to stay up til 2am or 4am to watch some people chasing a ball on the other side of the planet.... sigh... :offtobed

Offline Poirot

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2006, 08:04:01 AM »
I actually don't know A GREAT DEAL about soccer (aka football), but even if it was obstruction do you normally get a penalty for that?  I need to learn the rules a bit better!  :rolleyes  Anyway, no point crying over spilt milk - the Italians won!  I saw a very funny email movie with the Italian team training, and every time the coach blew the whistle they would all fall dramatically on the ground and grab their shins - very funny! 

Yes, tripping an opponent or causing an opponent to trip in the penalty box is a foul and you normally get a penalty for that. But, the refs usually have some latitude on this if the player has not been directly tripped. But, this ref was tough on all fouls, witness the straight red card for the Italian defender. Most refs would have given a yellow ..... so, he was just staying true to type with the penalty, exactly by the rule book and FIFA's instructions to be tough on fouls.

I love that movie .... maybe you can upload it or email it to me!!!!

Cheers!

Offline floWer

• Person with Thal Major
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2006, 10:49:30 AM »

But, well done the socerroos .... who would have believed it!!!!

Most of Australians who follow the National League would believe it...  and Me....  I watched almost half of the guys play in the National League on a weekly basis when they were younger and it's heart breaking when finally we get to the World Cup and loose to a dummy fall.

However they did our country proud and hopefully in a four years we could get to the World Cup again (Unless FIFA make it hard for us again) and shine.

Aussie Aussie Aussie

Oi Oi Oi

So I need an adopt a country to barrack for..  Any suggestions??  Maybe the host team??  I'm not going to be very dedicated to them as I will not stay up to 4.00 a.m. (like SalD) rugged up by the fire and watch them. 

I will barrack during the replays  :cheer

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2006, 12:30:49 PM »
..I think Fabio Grosso deserves an Oscar - for his dive (Best Actor)  .
Perhaps he should join that other Fabio, and produce some  TV commercials....Can't believe it's not butter.
I mean to go out like we did was unfair...with only 10 seconds to go, the referee gives out a penalty.

I only pray that when Italy play Ukraine that the referee makes a whole heap of blunders in Ukraine's favour.
Oh yeah..that's justice.KARMA..What goes 'round, comes 'round.
And that hand ball incident that wasn't picked up by the referee.
Referee should've just given Fabio a warning, even a yellow card for acting.

But the problem is that FIFA wants a big sell out crowd for it's finals.
This is achieved by getting the big countries like Germany, Brazil, Argentina, Italy, to get to them to the finals, and this way the money rolls in..
FIFA isn't interested in a small country that hasn't got a lot to offer.
Football has only just started to take off here in Australia.possibly in the last 3 years.
Let's face it Italy's team is worth a lot more..the 3rd lowest paid player is Harry Kewell's earnings..
Look at the goal keeper, he's worth 62 million, is that because he spends too much money on beauty products to look good before a game?
It would be difficult for FIFA to make a big profit margin if Australia was still in the competition...They probably couldn't get enough people to fill the stadium in a grand final.
FIFA would probably have to give out free tickets to fill up the stadium.

The Socceroos made us proud, to go in as the under dogs..ranked 42nd, not bad effort.

Offline floWer

• Person with Thal Major
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2006, 01:57:24 PM »
Well said AstonDialo!!!!

..I think Fabio Grosso deserves an Oscar - for his dive (Best Actor)  .
Perhaps he should join that other Fabio, and produce some  TV commercials....Can't believe it's not butter.

Is he also quoted as saying "I'm Fabio the most beautiful man in the world"
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 01:16:33 AM by floWer »

Offline SalD

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2006, 02:01:16 AM »
I really must upload that video.... willl have to see if I've still got it! 

But come on guys!  Credit IS due to the Italian team for defending so well when they were short a player (that red card was pretty unfair too!).  The penalty was luck, but you can't deny they are a good team and played very well.  Australia put on an exceptional performance to come so close to such a good team. 

I think AstonDialo is referring to what is known as "The Da Vinci Cup"... the conspiracy behind the world cup!

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2006, 11:10:33 AM »

Yes, that's the same guy, he's a model...Can't believe it's not butter.
He's also the same guy who was on a roller coaster ride one year, and a duck that was flying in the air crossed the path of the roller coaster and hit him on the face, causing his nose to bleed.

Offline floWer

• Person with Thal Major
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2006, 01:42:38 PM »
:rotfl :rotfl

Thats funny AstonDialo

Offline floWer

• Person with Thal Major
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2006, 01:55:06 PM »
Hi SalD.

I really must upload that video.... willl have to see if I've still got it! 

Can I see the video as well???

But come on guys!  Credit IS due to the Italian team for defending so well when they were short a player (that red card was pretty unfair too!).  The penalty was luck, but you can't deny they are a good team and played very well.  Australia put on an exceptional performance to come so close to such a good team. 

Ok, I'm over it now but I can't give Italy credit. There defence was great but Ref should of given Neill Lucas a red card (which he didn't really deserved) but instead gave a penalty against us. Which plays perfectly into the conspiracy

I think AstonDialo is referring to what is known as "The Da Vinci Cup"... the conspiracy behind the world cup!

LOL but it's a conspiracy most small country's have come up with.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk